Fuel Prices - Domestic Car Manufacturers

All Priuses have CVT, and I think the Altima does too??
So does the Camry Hybrid (we have one), last time I looked the 3rd highest mileage production car sold in the USA...

Yes, the Volt is a different type of hybrid. Problem is that for me, it is a second best solution. We are a two car family, so I will NEVER need to drive the car more than 200 miles (which is a range EV's are reaching now). So by 2010, I expect to purchase a pure EV. If GM has dusted off their EV1 by then, it may well be a GM. Right now I am betting on a Tesla White Star. Although I hear Nissan is working on an EV as well. And Th!nk is making one in Norway now.

Also, while this is apocryphal, I've read of a permaculturist that extracts oil from hazelnuts and combines that with hard apple cider (courtesy of his orchard). The apple cider performs the role of the methoxide in separating the fuel without causing anything more than a hangover. It's on my list of things to research to see if there's any truth at all to the story. There was no mention of running on water in that story so it's a bit promising.

Ain't no chemist, but I have fermented a wide variety of things and I am an investor in the methanol industry. Smells like BS to me. My understanding is that you really need methanol to make biodiesel, and in all the things I have fermented (and believe me, there were times when there was no money and alcohol gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no alcohol, if you get my drift) I have never ended up with any detectable amounts of methanol. After all, I haven't gone blind yet.

Hazelnut oil..........Hummmmmmmm. At $72/gallon that better be some really good biodiesel. :p

The Volkwagon Jetta TDI (diesel). Beats the Prius in certain situations for efficiency. If one considers the current state of hybrids... the Jetta might be a better more reliable choice. Even at a higher cost per gallon for diesel... the fuel cost is on par with the prius.

But, for some reason diesel has not taken off in the US.

This video runs about 5 minutes.

YouTube - 2008 Fuel Economy Comparison: Prius v Jetta v Focus v Smart

Here is the text.

Gas Sipper Smackdown: Which Small Car Has the Best Gas Mileage?

I can get 40+ MPG on my Passat diesel on a long interstate drive. I consistently get 30+ MPG on my daily commute, suburban driving. Yes, diesel is more expensive but based on fuel cost per mile, it is still cheaper than 99.9% of the cars on the road. Plus you have proven diesel engine design that I would fully expect to go 300,000 miles without major rebuild. I don't like the idea of replacing a $2,500 battery pack on a hybrid after 8 years.

A full 50% of all high end automobiles sold in Europe are powered by diesel engines. I think the stigma of the 70s-80s GM diesel fiasco coupled with the historically cheap fuel prices has really soured US consumers on diesel autos. Plus the fact that diesel sells for a premium over gasoline in US while as it should be, diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Europe. We are getting screwed over here.

the Jetta might be a better more reliable choice. [\quote]

Wow, you realy think a VW will be more reliable than a Toyota? Seems quite unlikely, given the data.

Wow, you realy think a VW will be more reliable than a Toyota? Seems quite unlikely, given the data.

Actually, VW diesels are some of the most reliable ENGINES out there. Of course, that comment doesn't take into account the transmission, electrical, body integrity, and other issues they have been battling............:D

Actually, VW diesels are some of the most reliable ENGINES out there. Of course, that comment doesn't take into account the transmission, electrical, body integrity, and other issues they have been battling............:D

Just like the legendary slant 6: great engine stuffed into abominable cars.

Just like the legendary slant 6: great engine stuffed into abominable cars.

Reminds me of the 80's Subarus....... DW had an 84 GL-10 in college. Impressive, with a digtial dash, full power, and a 5-speed manual. However, the car ate clutches, the digital dash went black twice, rattles everywhere......but the darn engine NEVER burned a drop of oil, and the guy we sold it to finally ruined it in a crash 4 years ago, with 357,000 miles on it...........:eek::D

Might be is the key term in my post... Not sure of the long-term reliability of the batteries yet.

Anyway, I thought the road test showed some interesting numbers.

I read that VW also has a diesel hybrid prototype that gets 60 mpg.

Back
Top Bottom