Furniture

Post ER - I've noticed a reasonable minority, mostly regular age retiree's get bit by the woodworking bug, including furniture - an even smaller minority of the of minority stick with it.

A friend of mine does this, but I now he's got far more invested in his tools and workshop than I will spend on furniture in a lifetime.  :D

Another tip;I can have custom solid quartersawn Oak furniture built for about 1/2 the price of Store bought stuff. Much better quality. The Oak Furniture that I had made will not only last me for the rest of my life, it will be passed on to my daughter. We also have solid Oak pieces that are in our home that were passed on to us from our grandparents that are over 100 years old.

Look for someone in your area that is a woodworker and does this. They like to build a few pieces each year, so that they can write off their tools. My woodworker is an Physician at the Mayo Clinic :)

Ah yes the stuff by the curb!

When I lived in the south SF bay area, the town sponsored an annual "clean up event". For a week you could push anything you wanted out in the street into a long pile at the curb, and they'd come by at the end of the week with dump trucks and tractors and scoop it up.

During that week, scavengers in pickup trucks combed the area. Contents of one pile disappeared only to return in someone elses pile years later, I'm sure. I must have had good stuff because almost nothing I put out made it into the dump truck.

What amazed me is some of my neighbors managing to come up with six to eight foot high piles that were as wide as a car and twice as long. Every year.

. . .
What amazed me is some of my neighbors managing to come up with six to eight foot high piles that were as wide as a car and twice as long.  Every year.

They were probably trading up each year. You could go out and see if you can find any furniture better than the stuff you nabbed last year and put last year's stuff out. It would be like a free furniture leasing agreement. :)

My neighbors tell me that they shop garage sales regularly and if they find something they want to trade up to, they buy it and then hold their own garage sales to dump the old stuff. I don't know how well this works, but they hold a garage sale about once a month.

Anyone had any experience with reupholstering furniture? I have an old sofa & 2 matching chairs. The butcher block ends and steel frame are in great condition, the hatian cotton is worn out. Hate to get rid of them as they are made better than 90% of the new stuff out there but I am all thumbs when it comes to sewing

And I really want to get into this project after the popcorn ceilings are down, tile bathroom floors set, new doors up, new carpeting, and a New England cruise. Leaving new hardwood floors in kitchen / breakfast room / family room for the spring

I grew up with reupholstering.

You can do fine from a book or a website if you don't mind the risk of occasionally having to rip out a seam and start over.

If the frames are in good shape then it's worth the experiment. If you take it apart carefully then the old fabric pieces can even be used as templates for the new cuts.

Or you could just take it down to your friendly local upholsterer, who'll probably do a great job for about half the cost of new. It depends on how much time you have and how high your hassle tolerance is.

We reupholstered an old Haitian cotton sleeper sofa, but I sure wish we hadn't done it in white. Now we have to wait another 45 ^&%$ years for it to wear out again...

I think I've read this whole thread, but did anyone mention the dump?

In my small town, there's a section at the dump for the good stuff, and another section for actual garbage. Your truck gets weighed going in and weighed going out, and the dump charge is the difference. So you can save $$ on dump fees by taking home those end tables and skis and antique toy wagons; what you don't furnish your house with, you can sell on eBay.

My ex-husband was a champion of this, although nothing ever got sold, just added to the pile. . . . He took so much stuff out that sometimes he weighed more going out! They didn't pay him to take the stuff away, though.

Anne

Back
Top Bottom