Getting your annual credit report mailed overseas

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is there anyone that lives overseas that has been able to get their report mailed to a non-military overseas address that also happens to be a PO box.

I have been overseas for the last 6 years and have not requested the free report since I left. I can have it mailed to my brother's US address who could then mail it to me but I would prefer to get it mailed directly to me if possible. Since the website does not allow access from outside the US, I was able to download the request form using an open proxy address but the form does not have a place for country. I am not even sure if you can have a PO Box.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

I do not have it mailed (do not think you can), I get mine online every six months (free) through quizzle.com.

Thanks but how safe is it to enter sensitive information like your SS# in quizzle. I know I probably could also use a open proxy to access the US website to get my report online. I feel a bit paranoid about another pair of digital eyes looking over my shoulder, aren't you?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. annualcreditreport.com does not allow access if you are overseas. You get the following message.
" The AnnualCreditReport.com website is not currently available at your location. Visit www.ftc.gov to learn how you can request your free U.S. credit report by mail."

If I wasn't concerned about id theft, I could access that site if I used an open proxy to fool the website in thinking I am at a US location.

Last edited:
MJ, I am not sure why using a USA proxy creates a security issue? The data is encrypted. I don't think proxy-ies are using highly specialized man-in-the-middle attacks.

Just to provide a different viewpoint, I use a mailing service based in the USA. They receive all of my mail, and send me a picture of the front of any mail I receive on the same day. I can have the mail scanned or forwarded. This is also my official address and it is not a P.O. Box. They can also receive registered mail, packages, etc. This is the address on my USA driver's license, also.

My total cost for this is only around $100 per year, including a couple of forwardings to a USA address (when I am visiting). But you can have the mail forwarded anywhere.

So when I got mail from the IRS about an audit when I was overseas, I was able to request a scan ($3.00, I think) and it was available as a PDF file less than 24 hours later. With scans there is a slight chance of identity theft by the person doing the scanning, but the whole reputation of the company depends on the integrity of the mail.

After living abroad for 5 years, I have no use for snail mail really, except as a legal address which seems to be required for various things (just like a USA phone number, which I also maintain). I do usually use the paper docs as a convenience for tax preparation (although not required) and use the paper year end statements for financial archives.

Back
Top Bottom