Giving Notice

stlguy57

Recycles dryer sheets
Hey everyone. Great forum of ideas.

Had a question I wanted to throw out there. I am planning to ER at 58 on 12/31 this year. My question is...How much notice have you generally given as notice in a managerial position at MegaCorp if you are leaving with no animosity or compromising situation. I know they can't open a req to replace me before 30 days of my leaving. Input? Thanks.

I gave a month stayed close to 2 months to help with transition. Left the company on good terms.

Congrats! You are gonna love being free!

I gave my consulting firm a full quarter's notice. It worked out very well. I still work about five hours a week for them on special projects.

My DW gave notice last month that she is retiring on 11/6/15. She is leading a large IT project that is scheduled to go live in October so there is no chance that they let her go early (which would be just fine with her). Plus she loves her boss and wanted to give her as much time as possible to plan for a replacement.

In your case I would gauge what the impact would be if they know earlier and plan accordingly. Nothing wrong with doing 2-4 weeks.

Anything more than 2 weeks can work against you. You may want your last day to be the last day of the month, this way health insurance ends on a full month.

I only gave the two weeks notice, but I had already created a full plan, documented everything and started delegating much more to groom the future staff. So when I gave notice, I handed over the transition plan, plus had everything sorted and archived for the company. I had also planned to quit at the end of a major project and delayed leaving as hiccups caused it to be delayed. That is the issue with determining a specific date as they will always need you and its never a great time, but finding an opening was easier by having it all prepped and when I saw a window I took it.

I told my boss six weeks in advance and gave her the option to keep it quiet for a couple of weeks to give us time to work on transition planning before I told my team. (She didn't take me up on that.) It worked out well I think, as I had plenty of time to wrap things up gracefully and do transition with my replacement, and I got only a couple of phone calls in the first two weeks after I left with questions.

Anything more than 2 weeks can work against you. You may want your last day to be the last day of the month, this way health insurance ends on a full month.

In my situation it is better to retire on first of the month, then medical goes to end of that month. My company "requests" four weeks notice for retirement. The most important item is if you want to deduct full year;s Flexible Spending Account; you have to let them know at least two weeks in advance. So, if I retire 5 January i can have full $2500 pre-tax deduction for FSA and start retiree medical in February (my portion of premiums doubled in retirement).

Marc

Depends on your relationships at work. A month is usually enough time, as any longer they will just delay transition planning. Be careful to have in your possession any bonus or time based payouts before you even give the notice. Notice period long enough to just qualify for a bonus or payout often doesn't work as expected. Even in companies you thought would allow it.

I gave about nine months notice; I was in an international assignment so harder to fill with specific requirements. Ended up working another year and a half after I returned to the US so it ended up being a very long notice. My final notice was six months before the real end.

So much depends on the position and how easy it is to replace you. In my case I gave a bit more than six months notice because they wouldn't authorize training someone else without my statement in writing that I was retiring.

My replacement only stayed a couple of years and then private industry hired him away with the sneaky underhanded tactic of tripling his pay.

2 weeks formal notice, but I told my boss about 3 months in advance. This was only because I liked him and wanted to help him out.

I'd have given our company 2 week's notice--had I had the chance. They gave me 1 day's notice in 2008 when they overreacted to economic times and retired everyone over 55 years old in 3 waves.
Had I been in the office, they'd have shown up in my office with a security guard and given me 5 minutes to clean out my desk.
It's nothing personal, but company policy--to minimize any "problems."
Funny how they trusted me to manage the largest leasing fleet in the U.S. and watched over $200 million in company assets.
No gold watch, not even a thank you for 36 1/2 years. My thank you is a good pension, substantial 401K and healthcare for the long term.

.....You may want your last day to be the last day of the month, this way health insurance ends on a full month.

No, I think in most cases you want your last day to be on the first day of the month. At least where I worked, if you were on payroll on the first day of hte month you could stay on the health plan for the month.

...I am planning to ER at 58 on 12/31 this year. My question is...How much notice have you generally given as notice in a managerial position at MegaCorp if you are leaving with no animosity or compromising situation. I know they can't open a req to replace me before 30 days of my leaving. Input? Thanks.

I think it is very situational. I gave the firm several months notice prior to my last day of work, and then I was on payroll and "on vacation" for another 5 weeks after I stopped working. I did respond to email and answer occasional inquiries during that time, as I would typically do when I was on vacation. The 5 weeks allowed for a smooth transition and since it was in a new calendar year, I put 100% of my net pay into my 401k and had very little taxable wages for the year.

Back
Top Bottom