Good Credit Card, anyone?

Urchina

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our Capital One "no hassle" card is NOT living up to its name. For the second time in six months, they've misallocated our payments (we pay online) and then hit us with late fees (which, after much hassle, they've later corrected). :mad: We have other credit cards for emergencies but don't like using them because of their terms and conditions.

We've got fabulous credit, and I'm tired of battling with this company. You'd think they'd be interested in keeping good customers who are good credit risks, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Anyone got a credit card that they like using (our criteria are no annual fee and a competitive rate of interest)? Bonus points for perks (like airline miles). Easy to use customer service would be a must, at this point! I'll check online as well, but figured that what I really care about right now (good customer service) isn't something I'm going to see on Bankrate.

Thanks for any ideas.

My HSBC Cash Back Platinum has been great. No issues, no mis-charges, they always call when a funny transaction appears, and make it disapear without question if it's not us (all but two times it was). Plus they send us a few hundred $$$ every year. I think the interest is ~11% but we don't carry balances so I can't say for sure.

We have had a Discover card since they came out with one. EXCELLENT customer service in all areas. We have charged a whole roof, cruises, travel of all kinds, and or normal expenses. They promptly fixed any errors. We carry an Amazon affiliated VISA for those few times we cannot use Discover or when they have an amazing % cash back on a certain type of expense category.

Cannot however talk about interest rates since we have never paid any interest.

I've an affinity card from the grocery store (Kroger) where I do most shopping. They send coupons and checks (only good at their store) and 15 cents discount per gallon of gas (bought at their gas station).

Citicard Cash Returns has been pretty good. Solid 1% cashback on all purchases (they send checks at the $50 mark) and you get access to various other perks if you are interested. No fee, and the apr is under 9% (don't know exactly but it is sitting right there online should I develop a burning desire to see it).

I've stopped using a Macy's card but keep it for backup. It was a hassle going into a store to redeen the rewards coupons.

I got one of those Amazon.com cards that gives you $30 off to sign up. Things have gone wrong but Customer Service is really up to it and was easy to deal with. First off, there was some internet fraud, about $500 in foreign phone calls; well handled step-by-step by customer service; no complaints from me that they couldn't remove the "rewards" credit for that $500. And they call me or freeze the card if they see any unusual charges, so I keep the Macy's card handy. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon anyway so the rewards certificates are easy to use.

Beating a Dead Horse but PenFed Cashback 5% (Gas), 2% (Groceries), 1.25 (all others). Purchase food at local Giant Eagle Grocery store for $.20 off on 30 Gallons of Gas for each $50 spent on food.

Tired old recording here, but PenFed has the best product out there. https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/creditcards/overview.asp
Setting it up to autopay in full from a different bank's checking account took a little tinkering, but good otherwise. Works for me.

2 questions about Pen Fed.
Do you have to be/been employed by the Fed. Govt. to join?
Is there a limit on the rebate that you can receive like some other credit cards out there? Thanks.

2 questions about Pen Fed.
Do you have to be/been employed by the Fed. Govt. to join?
Is there a limit on the rebate that you can receive like some other credit cards out there? Thanks.

Anyone can join by buying a $20 one-year membership in the NMFA - see #6:

https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

There are no limits on the amount of rebate you can receive.

Beating a Dead Horse but PenFed Cashback 5% (Gas), 2% (Groceries), 1.25 (all others). Purchase food at local Giant Eagle Grocery store for $.20 off on 30 Gallons of Gas for each $50 spent on food.

How does PenFed credit the rebate? I use a Chase Mastercard which is also 5% on Shell gas, but only 1% on everything else. They credit the rebate on each statement, but I'm thinking of switching (or having a backup) so I can use other brands.

You'd think they'd be interested in keeping good customers who are good credit risks, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
I recently watched the documentary "Maxed Out" about the credit card business. Elizabeth Warren was interviewed - and she described meetings with bank execs on this very point. Their message was clearly that the customer they want most 1) pays late, 2) stays maxed at the credit limit, and 3) makes the minimum payment. It's their primary source of profit. It kinda makes sense - in a perverse sort of way.

Michael

Have had the GM card for many years. Pays 5% towards a GM car. Over the years have earned about $11000. Customer service is lame, but they have never screwed anything up.
Also use the Citicard Drivers card. Pay 2% toward any new or used car. Good customer service.

The third one I use is the Chase Priority Club Card. Used it a lot when I was in business to accumulate points towards Holiday Inn stays. Also a good card.
Of course, all of the above are free cards. I have never run a balance so I can't comment on interest rates. I suspect they are no bargain.

Penfed. The rebates are good, it comes right off your statement every month, and the last minute autopay from my vanguard checking account is very nice.

The only other card I use is the crappy amex card I have for Costco shopping. Also on autopay at the last minute.

Tired old recording here, but PenFed has the best product out there. https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/creditcards/overview.asp
Setting it up to autopay in full from a different bank's checking account took a little tinkering, but good otherwise. Works for me.

Ditto what calmloki and the others have said. I have 39 credit cards currently and this is the only one that I use regularly. I don't know how they behave when errors happen, because I have never had a single problem with this card.

Running a distant second would be the AMEX Costco TrueEarnings card.

2Cor521

Our Capital One "no hassle" card is NOT living up to its name. For the second time in six months, they've misallocated our payments (we pay online) and then hit us with late fees (which, after much hassle, they've later corrected). :mad: We have other credit cards for emergencies but don't like using them because of their terms and conditions.

That's a bummer, since I was thinking about getting a Capitol One card because they don't charge any foreign exchange fees (typically 3%).

Anyone know what PenFed's foreign exchange fees are like? (I couldn't find it in a cursory check of their website.)

Droopy

Last edited:
That's a bummer, since I was thinking about getting a Capitol One card because they don't charge any foreign exchange fees (typically 3%).

FWIW, I have been using my Capital One card as my primary card for years and have never had a problem with it.

I checked out the PenFed cc. For the 2% cash back on the supermarket choices they say: "Visa USA determines which stores are categorized as a supermarket."

Anyone who has this card know if they count SuperWalmarts as a supermarket? I couldn't find anything more specific on their website.

I'm contemplating changing our current credit card. It's an American Express and we use it to build Delta miles. Given the yearly fee (somewhere around $95), I'm questioning really how much we are benefitting from the airline tix we build.

On another note, I recently noticed our other cc (mastercard) has yet AGAIN changed it's due date. They did this once before (moved it up 2 days), and I didn't realize it and ended up having to pay a late fee. Really p*ssed me off since we pay our cc's in full every month. I swear they move the due date around on purpose just to catch some of us with those late fees.

I checked out the PenFed cc. For the 2% cash back on the supermarket choices they say: "Visa USA determines which stores are categorized as a supermarket."

Anyone who has this card know if they count SuperWalmarts as a supermarket? I couldn't find anything more specific on their website.

I don't know specifically but maybe a phone call to PENFED (800 Nr on web site) would get you a specific answer. If you do get an answer maybe let us all know. I got the card guess I could go buy something there to find out but that would take about a month. I assume they do, however.

Hey, just hit 6 stars (1,000th post)!

On another note, I recently noticed our other cc (mastercard) has yet AGAIN changed it's due date. They did this once before (moved it up 2 days), and I didn't realize it and ended up having to pay a late fee. Really p*ssed me off since we pay our cc's in full every month. I swear they move the due date around on purpose just to catch some of us with those late fees.

I believe while not outright admitted, this is a well used tactic by credit card companies to make up fees on all us crappy customers who pay our bill in full each month.

Also, Citibank has several cards on their website that give 5 points per dollar spent for EDPs (gas, groceries, and drug stores) for a limited time...from a year to 2 years...I have 2 cards counted for that currently, so it probably matters where you shop most...and how much you spend...I agree the Penfed card is an excellent all purpose card and joining Penfed is on my list to do...

Back
Top Bottom