Got a Request - Should I or Shouldn't I

In the beginning, the person that spoke up will get blamed for my withdrawal, but as times goes on it will become my fault - just how human nature works...
OTOH, the "trainee" doesn’t get it that his future value to the company would have been enhanced due to your working with him for a short period of time, without the risk of any competition for the position in the future.

Another "Richard Cranium"... :angel:

Management did jump in and tried to rectify (weakly) and I countered with I would try to help them find someone, but I was no longer interested. I have received two emails - an apology email from him and one from management requesting another phone call - I have not replied yet because I need to formulate a good response - do not want to burn a bridge that may burn me later...
I would just tell them something like: you really are retired and only considered their position because you liked working with them in the past and wanted to be of help. Committing to more than 6 months was not something you were ready to do and the phone conference convinced you that maybe they need someone who really wants and needs to work, thus the withdrawal. Kind of like those interview questions about what is you major weakness - the answer is always some flaw that involves neglect of your personal life due to over commitment to the firm or some such BS. :)

... but then the person I would be training (so to speak) had to open his mouth (*^*&)... He wanted to know why I was negotiating - did I not understand they were offering me a job and that the unemployment lines were long long long...
That ended the negotiations... There was no way I would work with him.
I remember him from the past and really did not want to work with him. If I had known he was their choice I never would have gotten to the phone call in the first place.
Eh, maybe not so "charming" after all...

Maybe he has a few unspoken fears about his own job security.

I replied to both emails - very passive wording, but politically took the position that I really would rather just stay retired.

The guy that spoke up called me within minutes of me sending his email. He apologized (he wanted to in person) and let me know why he spoke up - now I kind of feel sorry for him (still do not like him though). He accidentally spoke what he was thinking and before he realized it he had said it aloud...

Like I said earlier, I knew him from before, but he had left the office and had just accepted a promotion to come back as the office manager over the area, but was told that they were bringing me in to help him get on track. In his mind he felt that he got a job that they considered him not qualified for (he isn't totally, but probably the best they have).

He was frustrated and under the gun - so he slipped. He asked me to reconsider, but I said I could not - I told him that I was now sure there was to much stress for me to handle - retirement has kind of spoiled me. I also think that maybe he is going to be the fall guy if he can not show progress...

I now feel sorry for him, but also know I would not last a month, much less 6 months in the current environment. I am sending him some notes to get him started - biggest areas of concern with the most bang for the buck.

I am going back to my original plan. Finish my renovations, get moved, take a vacation, get the for sale signs out and then start my hobby / entrepreneurial pocket money ideas. I can watch Matlock when I want, I can go fishing when I want or I can work at my own pace... This is a much better idea...

I do want to say thanks for all the replies. Helped a lot.

I am going back to my original plan. Finish my renovations, get moved, take a vacation, get the for sale signs out and then start my hobby / entrepreneurial pocket money ideas. I can watch Matlock when I want, I can go fishing when I want or I can work at my own pace... This is a much better idea...

Once again a member of E-R.org comes to their senses, resists temptation and lives on to enjoy retirement..... :)

Turned out well, I'd say. Congratulations.

Your willingness to negotiate something reasonable was commendable. The outspoken trainee displayed very poor judgment in the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom