Hard times --- Kids Moving Back In with Mom and Dad

About 30 years ago I was doing exterminating work...

to my surprise, there was one guy who was in his 50s (I think late 50s) who moved back in with his 80 yo mother... and not because she needed his help!!! She had money and a maid and was very 'spry'... he had just blown through his trust funds and had nothing left... sad...

Obviously, many will take this to excess as in parents sacrificing thier own retirement for spendthrift adult children, but overall moving in with family makes more sense than than looking for some sort of charity, debt relief or a gov't handout. Everytime I read these stories of hardship, I wonder "where's thier family?".

chinaco, just a suggestion: stop paying attention to the media. You will be a much happier person.

DW and I did it once for about three weeks at ER but it was more for convenience. We were having a house built, builder was late, previous house was sold. We had the funds to stay in a hotel if necessary, but FIL offered. We took him out to dinner a lot.

It didn't help DW's peace of mind when I said "You realize, of course, that this means we're unemployed and homeless."

On the serious side, yes it is sad. I have a 40-year-old niece living with her mother, but it is the mother's financial foolishness that put them there. Sometimes they can even afford propane to heat the house with.

I have two siblings in their 40's who live at home with mom and dad. They landed there after college and just never left. The folks like them around to do things with. They seem to like the free laundry and meal plans. Everybody could afford to live independently, but they just don't seem to want to. Personally I think the kids are missing out on living their own lives. They have limited social life outside of family friends and while they keep in touch with old high school and college friends and go on outings and vacations, they have no romantic interests and will never raise a family of their own. I guess they live vicariously through nieces and nephews. Not the life I would (or did) choose for myself. I was moving to a different state as soon as I graduated. But different people choose different paths. If what brings the kids back home is inability to make economic choices on their own, then that's particularly sad.

My two brother-in-laws who are still living at home with their mom. They apparently enjoy living at home since they do not have to cook or cleaning up the house. Cost of living is cheap since they only have to pay 1/4 of property tax and utilities. My 80-year old MIL seems to enjoy having them around. I guess it's very lonely to live by herself without any transportation.

That is my biggest fear, I don't want to be supporting my kids when they are adults.

My two brother-in-laws who are still living at home with their mom. They apparently enjoy living at home since they do not have to cook or cleaning up the house. Cost of living is cheap since they only have to pay 1/4 of property tax and utilities. My 80-year old MIL seems to enjoy having them around. I guess it's very lonely to live by herself without any transportation.

Yes. When one gets older, they need some support. I suppose it is mutually beneficial. It will be interesting to see if they stick with it if she needs real assistance for day to day living.

That is my biggest fear, I don't want to be supporting my kids when they are adults.

I don't know of any laws requiring the support of able-minded adult children. If it's that big of a fear, make it known to them now, that it isn't going to happen. Then they can plan accordingly.

There are people who have never moved more than a few miles away from their parent's home too. Some people just feel really connected to their family, I think, without the intention of just mooching off of them.

What's really funny is the military guys and gals who move back in with their parents to save their housing allowance, or send the DW to her parents when he deploys so they can save theirs. I've never heard of the DH moving back home while the wife deploys, but I'm sure it happens too. Sounds like a good idea until they get back, find all this money in savings (or find DW/DH spent it all :bat:), and then go buy a new car/motorcycle/boat.

Thats what we have been telling our kids all along...there is no free ride after college, or after high school if they either don't go or can't get into college. Even though we will provide some support for college, we will not provide it all, and they definitely will have to generate their own spending cash during school.

R

My 75 YO brother's 41 YO daughter and her two young children moved back home after a divorce. I think she plans to stay until they kick. Se probably justifies that on the basis that her parents will need help soon. But my brother is still working full time (he likes what he does). In the meantime, the kids are driving him and my sister-in-law nuts. SIL has taken to helping out in my brother's office just to get out of the house.

About 30 years ago I was doing exterminating work...

to my surprise, there was one guy who was in his 50s (I think late 50s) who moved back in with his 80 yo mother... and not because she needed his help!!! She had money and a maid and was very 'spry'... he had just blown through his trust funds and had nothing left... sad...

Hey, I would have probably done the same thing if I had the chance...;)

Wow.... I have heard these stories a lot. I even have watched it happen in my own family. I have an almost 40 year old cousin that still lives at home. I believe this is the parents fault, and their lack of resolve that allowed this to happen. In my opinion (and no I have no children so I might be dead wrong), if your raise your children growing up to believe and understand concepts like personal responsibility, earning their own way, and instill in them a sense of pride in everything they do, then when the time comes they will move out gladly. Not because they are no longer able to "mooch" off of their folks, but because they will not WANT to. People that are responsible for themselves tend not to want to be dependant upon others. I had a burning passion to make it on my own.... and I still do... :)

Well in some societies extended families live to together. I know of a few.

True..... there was this guy at work who talked about building a 'double house'. It was his son's idea.... they both put in their money and build a BIG house with two living 'wings'... one for him and one for his parents..... they would all live there and then the parents/grandparents could see their grandchild as often as they wished... we all thought he was nuts... live down the street or even next door, but in the same house:confused:

And the son WAS paying his share.... so it was not a true moving back home.

God, I hope this never happens to us with our 3 daughters, especially the one that owes us the $25k we loaned her so she could fulfill her lifetime dream and get a masters in marine biology (none of which has been paid back due to other gigantic school loans & heavy credit card debt). They've been home at Christmas before for 10 days, and I laid down the law and said never over 7 days--after that much time we just get on each other's nerves too much. It also seems that when they're here, they fall back into the pre-teen/teen mode of having us doing everything for them.

After my 50 year old friend's divorce he moved back in with his parents for what he told them would be two weeks until he found a place. I told his folks to boot him out after two weeks or they will never get rid of him. It turns out he loved the homecooking, free rent and laundry service and no responsibility. Five years later he finally found a place to live and moved out. It was not about money, he has plenty. It was finding a new comfort zone and not wanting to lose it.

I see the moving back in with the folks trend getting much worse. My sisters three boys will never make it on their own. They have been spoiled, never been taught how to handle money and everything is done for them.

I spent about month with my parents after graduation (until my job started). Fortunately, it was June; and I spent a great deal of time outdoors, walking or biking around the area.

Previously, I had spent two and a half weeks there for winter break; the last few days we were yelling at each other.

Our kid used to worship a high-school drafting teacher. The infatuation lasted for the entire year.

Then she learned that he smokes, is so diabetic that he can't even eat white rice, and lives with his mother in her house.

He's 56 years old and recently ER'd but he seems to be adapting just fine!

I love my parents to death but since they live very far away I only get to see them once or twice a year and when we visit we usually stay at their place for 10-15 days at a time. And I have to say that after cohabiting with them for about 10 days I am ready to get out of Dodge. We always seem to revert back to the old days after a while, with my mother telling me how to dress and what to eat like I was still a child and my dad passing judgement on my choices... chilling, especially when your wife of 7 year is standing next to you...

I did move back home at the age of 34 after a divorce left me with a net worth of about $7K, but talked about it with my mother a lot first. There was no house payment, but I paid either all or half of the utilities (I forget what the arrangement was) and while there I repainted the entire house and removed as much of her 30-year collection of junk as she would let me. She grew up in the '30s Depression and it was hard to get her to throw stuff out. Also I fixed a pinhole leak in a water pipe at 7:00 AM Christmas morning, I remember her saying she was very happy I was there!

It took 18 months to save the down payment for a house and then I was gone per the agreement.

This is the case in our family. My grandmother always lived with us. Actually, my grandmother and mom (one widowed, the other divorced) lived together in a house they both owned and when my parents got married, my Dad moved in. So, I grew up always having a grandmother living with us, which was very nice for me.

Another example is my cousin. When her mother died, her Dad came to live with her and her husband and four boys. He lived with them until he passed away many years later. Also, I have ten nieces and nephews--my sister's kids. Several of them live together. One moved to California and one by one the other two followed. They have all lived together for many years now and are in their fifties.

My husband and I have two grown daughters and are in the process of building a one bedroom house behind our little three bedroom house. We plan to move into the one bedroom and our daughters are going to share the three bedroom. It's a preference for all of us, not a need. Everyone is financially stable.

It's not at all uncommon in Hawaii. Many Asians and polynesians have extended family living with, or right by them. Our neighbor is building a small house on his lot for his daughter, another neighbor lives in the same house with her grown children and grandchildren, and another neighbor lives with his sister, his wife and baby. On our street, it's as common as not.

Many of my husband's friends live with family--usually in a separate house on the same property. For instance, one friend and his brother built their house next to their parent's home on their property. The sons are able to help their elderly parents and they all benefit since many expenses such as property tax are shared. No one is mooching off of anyone else. Everyone contributes and they all enjoy each other's company.

For some reason, most WASPs view these living arrangements in a negative way. Someone is either thought of as not growing up, or mooching, or driving someone crazy. It's like you turn eighteen and you're out and if you return it's viewed as a personal failure and a nuisance. I don't really understand this way of thinking. It's not that way in many other cultures. I wonder why it's so different and how it came to be this way.

Back
Top Bottom