Have you bumped up fun spending?

I guess I would have to say "yes". Recently we went to an Eagles concert:

$362 (2) tickets
$ 80 Dinner out
$ 8 Parking (before and during dinner)
$ 25 Parking at the concert venue
$475 TOTAL for one night out

They've lost a little in the vocals area, but were still pretty darn good considering they're a bunch of old guys and they can all still flat out play. It was an awesome concert and and awesome evening. :dance:

Now to pick the next artist/group that we want to see. :D

Me too. Born in New Orleans, I have no problem with heat and humidity. I've lived in places where it gets very cold and just dealt with it. That was when I was younger. Now, I just hate it and my thermostadt is up, too. We have had a real winter this year here in the Metroplex. In summer I hear many locals whining about the heat. Not me.

You know exactly what I mean, then! :D I love the climate here, even though by the end of September each year I am ready for summer to end. Right now it is 71F outside, and not even noon yet. Still a little chilly but I am sure the northerners here would not think that was the case.

I am so glad that last week's hard freezes, sleet, and cold are gone for a while. That was brutal!

Last edited:
You know exactly what I mean, then! :D I love the climate here, even though by the end of September each year I am ready for summer to end. Right now it is 71F outside, and not even noon yet. Still a little chilly but I am sure the northerners here would not think that was the case.

I am so glad that last week's hard freezes, sleet, and cold are gone for a while. That was brutal!

It is a beautiful day here compared to the winter we have been having so far. When it got up to 48 degrees we went for a 45 min walk and it was so nice with the sun shining. You would have frozen!

Reactions: W2R
I wouldn't call the process "fun", but we waited til after retirement to drop a bundle on a needed new kitchen. Now that it's complete, NOW it's fun.

Hmmmm - current car is 9 years old. I started evaluating my options today! :eek:

Well after an inkling of a little bit of tinitus (64 this year) I bought a new tube amplifier and large panel speakers - It's now or never! (had been thinking about it for years)

All right! These are the kind of things that one should enjoy while he still can.

Are these speakers electrostatic? I have read that their principle of operation allows the lowest distortion in music reproduction, compared to the common electromagnetic speakers. However, I have not listened to one.

All right! These are the kind of things that one should enjoy while he still can.

Are these speakers electrostatic? I have read that their principle of operation allows the lowest distortion in music reproduction, compared to the common electromagnetic speakers. However, I have not listened to one.
No, they are planar-magnetic http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

Amazing sound

No, they are planar-magnetic http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

Amazing sound

I've also got the Maggie 1.6QRs, purchased shortly after the first reviews came out, summer 2000.

I had shopped on/off for new speakers, but always came away confused over which sounded best, and analysis paralysis set in. I read these reviews, which were outstanding for a speaker in that price range. I loved them when I heard them. So transparent. Been very happy with them.

They are similar to electro-statics, in that both are 'planar' speakers. Basically, almost the entire front surface of the speaker moves. It is a thin mylar sheet, with copper traces imprinted on it. A magnet array is all across the back. With so much surface area, it barely moves, so it can be more linear in that it isn't moving far away from the magnetic field. A standard driver is moving much more distance, as it is smaller so has to pump the air further for the same volume. Not having high voltages floating around like an electro-static is an advantage.

Fantastic speakers, IMO (and many others).

-ERD50

OK. Cool! The magneplanars work similarly to the electrostatic by using a film with relatively large surface area as the drive, but using magnetic force rather than electrostatic.

Looks like the magneplanars would have the same advantage as the electrostatic speakers, but more practical and reliable. I can imagine that the electrostatic speakers would attract dust and zap insects like crazy!

Here is a picture of the Magneplanars from just behind the listening throne

Attachments

• Magnepan 1.7 sound stage 001.JPG
    Magnepan 1.7 sound stage 001.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 32

Beautiful, and they do 'like' to be far from the walls like that. For others, the light colored part is the panel showing through the cloth - you only see that at certain angles and lighting.

When DW mentions how large they are, I always point out that from the side, they are only about 1" deep. So the total volume is probably smaller than any other high quality speaker.

They don't do deep bass, and I keep toying with adding a sub (or pair). Maybe someday.

If anyone is interested, the reason they don't do deep bass is that there is no 'enclosure'. That panel is mounted in that frame, and the back is completely open. So a low frequency sound wave 'flows' from front to back, and will start cancelling out . This is easy to demonstrate by moving your hand back and forth in water. Move slow and the water just flows around your hand and waves do not project out. Move faster and you start the waves moving out.

Traditional speakers are mounted in a box to isolate the front/back of the speaker. But a box does other things to the sound. Like anything, there are trade-offs, but I prefer the open, transparent sound of these panel speakers.

-ERD50

Very impressive. I'm always wondering what audiophiles hear that I don't. I like music but generally have to listen multiple times before I get the melody. Some people seem to pick up on melody immediately. Then there are those that create melody and that is something I will never be able do.

Nice hobby horse you have there too. :)

Last edited:
Very impressive. I'm always wondering what audiophiles hear that I don't. I like music but generally have to listen multiple times before I get the melody. Some people seem to pick up on melody immediately. Then there are those that create melody and that is something I will never be able do.

Nice hobby horse you have there too. :)

Thanks, the rocking horse is for my grandson (3 1/2) but we are working on this other hobby horse too.

Attachments

• Exercising Dr. Pepper 009.JPG
    Exercising Dr. Pepper 009.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 29
Beautiful, and they do 'like' to be far from the walls like that. For others, the light colored part is the panel showing through the cloth - you only see that at certain angles and lighting.

When DW mentions how large they are, I always point out that from the side, they are only about 1" deep. So the total volume is probably smaller than any other high quality speaker.

They don't do deep bass, and I keep toying with adding a sub (or pair). Maybe someday.

If anyone is interested, the reason they don't do deep bass is that there is no 'enclosure'. That panel is mounted in that frame, and the back is completely open. So a low frequency sound wave 'flows' from front to back, and will start cancelling out . This is easy to demonstrate by moving your hand back and forth in water. Move slow and the water just flows around your hand and waves do not project out. Move faster and you start the waves moving out.

Traditional speakers are mounted in a box to isolate the front/back of the speaker. But a box does other things to the sound. Like anything, there are trade-offs, but I prefer the open, transparent sound of these panel speakers.

-ERD50

Thank you. They are wonderful indeed. I do generally use a sub ( HSU) but depending on the type of music it is really not necessary. ( The sub is that cylindrical looking table under the lava lamp)

Nice planar speakers!

-ERD50

The roll-off characteristic in the bass response of the magnetic planar speakers is shared with the electrostatic speakers, which have a similar construction. I guess one gives up something to get the clarity of the higher frequencies. The roll-off in bass would be dependent on the half-width of the speaker as a percentage of the acoustic wavelength of the bass note.

With the speed of sound being 1,100 ft/s and the half-width of the speaker being between 1 or 2 ft, it seems to be the roll-off frequency would be rather high, in the few 100s Hz. Am I missing something here?

Nice planar speakers!

The roll-off characteristic in the bass response of the magnetic planar speakers is shared with the electrostatic speakers, which have a similar construction.

More generally, any open baffle (also called a 'di-pole') speaker arrangement will do the same - a speaker just sitting in open air is the most minimalist example of this. Us tinkerers have probably all done this at one time or another, and noticed how weak the bass is.

And you could put a planar speaker in a baffle, and I just came across a web page of someone who did some experimenting with this. I guess it's not common, as the large size of a panel would require a very large enclosure, and they need to be well braced (heavy, lots of materials) to avoid resonance. But since some audiophiles seem to think more $$$$$$ must be better, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen any like that (maybe I missed them).

I guess one gives up something to get the clarity of the higher frequencies. The roll-off in bass would be dependent on the half-width of the speaker as a percentage of the acoustic wavelength of the bass note.

With the speed of sound being 1,100 ft/s and the half-width of the speaker being between 1 or 2 ft, it seems to be the roll-off frequency would be rather high, in the few 100s Hz. Am I missing something here?

I was thinking the effect was much lower, but I can't dispute your calculation. So I was curious, so off to google, and basically, it's more complicated than that (though it's pretty close for a round, open speaker in free air like I described earlier).

Some of the secondary effects are: the panel is much taller than wide, so the bass cancellation is spread out over a range of frequencies; the panel sits on the floor, so the floor blocks the wave on that side; room corners tend to re-enforce the bass, so the two effects could actually produce a smoother frequency response. By the time you add those all up, I guess it just isn't a clear cut drop in bass at 6db/octave as the math might indicate. There was also something about the whole dispersion pattern representing a 'flower petal' shape, which softens some of this I guess.

I've done some 'by ear' frequency testing on mine, using my music synth as a test tone. Maybe I have my notes somewhere, but as I recall there was a very sharp drop at around 30~40~50 hz (I really can't recall exactly), but this isn't a very well controlled test, and it includes room effects. I'm not even sure if the output of my synth is flat - I think I created some test CDs using Audacity sound program to generate the tones, but I prefer my music synth cause it's faster/easier to control the signal than with a remote - and test tones can blow your equipment/speakers if you are not careful. But bottom line, I do get a pretty nice smooth bass, just not that lower octave of room shaking bass. Which is why I've wanted to add a sub, but not motivated enough to actually do it yet. For reference, the low-E of a bass guitar (the common tuning) is 41 hertz.

You might also be amazed at how the brain fills in missing info, if it expects it to be there. I remember ages ago, I was doing a rough test of frequency response in my townhouse, using a good mic and the meters on my tape deck, and a cheap little music synth I had (and still have - a Korg MS-20). I kept thinking something was wrong, because in the space of just a few notes, the meters would drop almost 20 db, then back up again. Then when I listened carefully, I realized that fundamental freq really had been 'sucked out' in that range, but my brain seemed to fill it in based on hearing the harmonics, and apparently expecting it to be there.

A little like, if I said " Knock, Knock ...... there?", your brain will likely fill in the missing "who's"

Here's a decent link:

Designing Loudspeakers - Part 15 Open Baffles and Bass

Now we are getting somewhere, and it starts to all make sense when we look at panel loudspeakers like the Quad Electrostatic where the baffle width clearly isn’t over 2 metres! By increasing just one dimension, say height, and allowing the speaker to couple to the floor and, possibly, the side wall, strong bass output can be achieved to satisfy even the organ enthusiast!

I’m not going to claim that you’ll achieve the same bass power in the room from an open baffle speaker as you can from, say, a transmission line speaker of similar overall dimensions. As my wife pointed out when hearing the reproduction of a Bach organ work on the radio “organ music sounds better in a church where you can feel the power of the low notes”.

I know what she means. That ability to really move the air, so that it has visceral as well as audible impact, is something lacking in most hi-fi systems, box speakers or not. But you do need large speakers to really make it happen.

THE BOX IS MISSING!
So, considering that most people like small speakers in their living rooms, what is the point of pursuing the open baffle? I’ll tell you – it is that the box is missing!

Despite the best intentions of the loudspeaker designer in providing bracing, damping, internal absorption, adding a port, a horn or a quarter wave pipe, there is no getting away from the fact that putting a box behind a speaker just encourages resonance.

Now most of us grow up hearing these box resonances from every loudspeaker we listen to. So we are used to it. In fact I formulated a theory many years ago that we are so used to hearing box resonances that the sound seems ‘wrong’ when you take them away.

That might partially explain why panel speakers are often described as ‘thin’ or ‘lightweight’ by some listeners on first hearing an electrostatic. But when you talk to panel loudspeaker adherents they will be the first to describe box speakers as sounding plummy and coloured.

-ERD50

Stopped driving the kids' old Toyota - sold it to the yard guy for a grand - and splurged on something much more enjoyable to drive. (Kudos to Toyota though, that old beast is on the fourth family and about the 8th kid and I still going strong with more than 120,000 on the clock.)

Attachments

• 7202356477x640.jpg
    7202356477x640.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Stopped driving the kids' old Toyota - sold it to the yard guy for a grand - and splurged on something much more enjoyable to drive. (Kudos to Toyota though, that old beast is on the fourth family and about the 8th kid and I still going strong with more than 120,000 on the clock.)
Very nice but what is it?

EDIT: Oops, saw the BMW sign in the distance.

Living dangerously without a roll bar? ;)

Enjoy your BMW's and such... but as for me, I spent $1.99 on a used video game from Amazon. Well, with shipping it came to five dollars and something.

I can hardly wait. If I love it, then what a bargain! Hours of fun for nearly nothing. And if I don't love it, I am hardly out any money at all. :D

Enjoy your BMW's and such... but as for me, I spent $1.99 on a used video game from Amazon. Well, with shipping it came to five dollars and something.

I can hardly wait. If I love it, then what a bargain! Hours of fun for nearly nothing. And if I don't love it, I am hardly out any money at all. :D

Have you tried Steam? They have game downloads. They have some nice game sales around the holidays.

Have you tried Steam? They have game downloads. They have some nice game sales around the holidays.

Yes I have, although I really only play one game on Steam. I didn't know about the sales, so thanks for the tip! :)

Back
Top Bottom