Having a Backup Credit Card?

I’ve have had two debit cards compromised but so far no credit cards. We have a mileage card for most of our transactions, a backup CC through our bank, and a card through our brokerage firm...

I only use debit cards for ATM withdrawals. Do you use them to pay regular charges instead of a credit card at times?

We have two cards for the same account. But they have slightly different numbers and our statement shows billings from each account.

We travel frequently and sometimes for extending periods. Our nightmare is not being able to source cash or credit facilities.

We typically travel with three credit cards and one debit card. We never use the latter. We keep them in seperate areas. We have had a credit card stolen during travel. We have also had credit purchases denied on one card but accepted on another card (visa vs mastercard vs. amex). Oddly enough they were all on line airline ticket purchases. I suspect that in some instances it wa attributable to the type of card and the vendor/processing charges that came with the card.

Oooo - having debit cards compromised is very scary!

Both times the bank security group called me on the phone and asked if I knew where my debit card was. I said yes in my wallet. They asked if I made online purchases on European websites or was on any internet betting sites. I of course told them no. The old cards were immediately canceled and new cards were issued. They provisionally credited my account for the fraudulent dollars pending the outcome of their fraud investigation. They concluded it was fraud and the provisional dollars stayed in my account. Thankfully it ultimately was nothing more than a minor nuisance...

I only use debit cards for ATM withdrawals. Do you use them to pay regular charges instead of a credit card at times?

I asked the security rep that called me how these people potentially got my number. She said I would be surprised at the ways in which it happens and how often that it does happen, but she would not elaborate.

I will be happy when/if we go to full chip and pin for credit cards such as in Europe. It would certainly cut down on the amount of fraud. I guess until it hits the card companies hard enough financially, it won’t happen...

I asked the security rep that called me how these people potentially got my number. She said I would be surprised at the ways in which it happens and how often that it does happen, but she would not elaborate.

I will be happy when/if we go to full chip and pin for credit cards such as in Europe. It would certainly cut down on the amount of fraud. I guess until it hits the card companies hard enough financially, it won’t happen...

Had cc break-ins multiple times and was always interested in finding out who did it, but BOA will just not give out any hints or details.

I only use debit cards for ATM withdrawals.

+1.

I only use my debit cards to get cash at bank ATMs and mostly inside the bank. They are less likely to have skimmers installed on them.

Last edited:
I usually roll with 2 CCs. My Visa card is primary and Discover Card is my back-up. Since I charge close to 100% of my purchases, I generally ask for, and keep, the receipt.

I only use a debit card when I get a discount for doing so.

Had cc break-ins multiple times and was always interested in finding out who did it, but BOA will just not give out any hints or details.

Why do you think they know? I had BoA debit card compromised and they contacted me before I had a clue. I think they said the card was used at a grocery store in TX and the card was present. I had recently returned from a trip and took turns with a colleague paying for meals at a dive joint near the hotel. He was compromised also. They must’ve stolen the numbers and sold them to someone that could replicate the cards.

Why do you think they know? I had BoA debit card compromised and they contacted me before I had a clue. I think they said the card was used at a grocery store in TX and the card was present. I had recently returned from a trip and took turns with a colleague paying for meals at a dive joint near the hotel. He was compromised also. They must’ve stolen the numbers and sold them to someone that could replicate the cards.

Well they have a fraud department, which theoretically researches the fraud. So what exactly are they researching, since I am always reimbursed?

If I am unsure of the joint, I bring my substitute card and use it.

Well they have a fraud department, which theoretically researches the fraud. So what exactly are they researching, since I am always reimbursed?

If I am unsure of the joint, I bring my substitute card and use it.

When my bank contacted me they said the expenditures were “outside my spending patterns”.

They are obviously monitoring our activity and must have dollar thresholds and location criteria that the fraudulent activity fell outside of, prompting some kind of alert in their system...

When my bank contacted me they said the expenditures were “outside my spending patterns”.

They are obviously monitoring our activity and must have dollar thresholds and location criteria that the fraudulent activity fell outside of, prompting some kind of alert in their system...

Yes I agree about outside the spending patterns, but that doesn't work 100% of the time. For example, I was falsely charged 9.99 for Spotify and BOA didn't pick it up. Thus I asked them where was the origination of the charge? They can't/won't respond.
Just another reason why I check my cc charges every day.

I saw a $5 charge I didn't recognize on my CC bill, and reported it. Now we're without a card for a week.

Once that happened when on a trip.

It makes me think it would be good to have a second card that we use only in that situation.

Will the CC company allow you to have two cards for the same account?

Anyone do that?

I have three CCs for just that reason. Two for everyday use - one of which has all our standing instructions on it. The third one is the one we use when travelling so that if there is a problem and we have to cancel it, we do not have to reset the automatic payments.

Well, this is a new one.

As mentioned earlier, I've got a 2% Fidelity Visa and a Marriott Visa. Will probably get rid of the latter since I just acquired an AA MasterCard. Hoping to get the large sign-on bonus ASAP, I gave the MasterCard number to the company that will install my plantation shutters. Sorry- Visa only. This was just after I'd booked a hotel in Mexico for March via its Web site and they didn't take MC, either. Fortunately the cruise line I'm taking out of Cabo happily charged a partial payment on the MC.

I still think I won't have a problem running up $3,000 in charges to get the 60,000 mile bonus. I can see that if MC were my primary card I'd HAVE to have a Visa backup.

Bam! Just got pinged (text) today about a $747 charge to copaair.com. Wasn't ours! So I was able to call the Elan VISA (Fidelity) fraud number and report it immediately after checking online. New cards will be here next Tuesday. I didn't have to ask for it to be expedited.

Fortunately no bill pays are on this card. Our records show the card number was changed in May 2017 - another fraudulent charge.

The text messages on charges is really handy. This was not an option from FIA services, so I appreciate this improvement from Elan.

Last edited:
I saw a $5 charge I didn't recognize on my CC bill, and reported it. Now we're without a card for a week.

Once that happened when on a trip.

It makes me think it would be good to have a second card that we use only in that situation.

Will the CC company allow you to have two cards for the same account?

Anyone do that?

Yes, but the problem remains.
My wife and I went on a 70 day vacation. I had three credit cards in my wallet which was picked in Athens. Lesson learned. Keep a spare DIFFERENT credit card in another place. Insurance.

This is a thought provoking thread. I do have a Visa credit card with $10K limit for emergencies and I have had it cancelled and reissued twice in the previous year after fraudulent activity was detected by the bank. Both times I was without a card for several days and after reading the comments in this thread, I realise how inconvenient it would have been had I been traveling when the card was cancelled. It is my only CC.

So after thinking about it for a few days, I have decided that yes, I would like a second card for mainly emergency use. Well that ain't going to happen now, is it.

Banks and credit unions in Australia will only issue CC's to people with documented earnings from an employer. Investment earnings, income from rental properties or pensions are not counted, you must be in receipt of a wage or salary in order to be granted a credit card. I was astonished to find that out, especially as it seems that 18 year olds can obtain multiple credit cards and get themselves deep into debt as a result, but a financially savvy, self funded retiree cannot.

Luckily I didn't apply for a second card from my current CC provider as I wouldn't like to alert them to the fact I am a deadbeat unemployed retiree.

Last edited:
Yes, but the problem remains.
My wife and I went on a 70 day vacation. I had three credit cards in my wallet which was picked in Athens. Lesson learned. Keep a spare DIFFERENT credit card in another place. Insurance.
Right - you can't carry all your cards together.

You would have to have two different cc numbers. If they close one, that’s it. Another account on the same financial institution probably would be unaffected.

We had no shortage of credit cards, and when traveling internationally, we each carried two different cards, for a total of four.

I always carry along a backup when traveling.

Never know when something my come up and I need to get home.

Ditto - I have had cards denied several times - buying gas in east TX and in Switzerland, so now have two cards from different banks just in case.

Back
Top Bottom