Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My buddies over at Morningstar pretty much pooh-pooh the "fat finger" explanation/rumor.

Because NYSE halted trading temporarily, the programs went looking for buyers outside the exchange where there were no bids. So you got crazy trades at $0.01, etc.

Obviously there are some issues with all this crazy high frequency program trading going on! And with programs and exchanges SO STUPID that they go ahead and trade when one side is a penny? Glad they didn't execute any of my trades!

I think the talk in the next few weeks will be the serious issues today with all-electronic exchanges and program trading.

It that respect this was just like 1987 folks, where program trading gone awry caused a stock market crash. Now, I don't necessarily hold out hope that we recover as quickly as obviously we have a lot more economic challenges today than back then.

Audrey
That makes more sense. If only one stock tanked, I could have believed the fat finger explanation, but too many stocks tanked at the same time for this explanation to hold IMO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Heh, and now Bloomberg is saying that NASDAQ in coordination with all the other exchanges will cancel all trades in stocks that dropped 60 percent or better, or some such. Sucks for the luck dumpster divers. This is going to be confusing tomorrow.
Sucks to be stopped out at a 50% loss, then...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
That makes more sense. If only one stock tanked, I could have believed the fat finger explanation, but too many stocks tanked at the same time for this explanation to hold IMO.

The news I saw said that it was P&G that traded on another exchange for $39 when the 90 second trading halt occurred.... because of this program trading started to kick in... and when it was down so much program trading started to kick in the other way....

I have not heard that any of the big boys actually traded at 1 cent.... but anything could have happened today...

I see a big increase tomorrow...
Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

The talking head on the radio this afternoon said today marked the bottom, no really, this is the bottom. He said he's been predicting it all along and now really, this is the bottom. Really.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have not heard that any of the big boys actually traded at 1 cent.... but anything could have happened today...

I see a big increase tomorrow...
Not the big boys. I heard Echelon traded at 1 cent, and Accenture. Some of the CEFs like GIM did too.

Audrey
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The talking head on the radio this afternoon said today marked the bottom, no really, this is the bottom. He said he's been predicting it all along and now really, this is the bottom. Really.
That's what the Plunge Protection Team wants us all to think...

... until the next bottom.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

More on today's high frequency trading snafu:

Quote:
What happened today was no fat finger, it was no panic selling by one major account: it was simply the impact of everyone in the HFT community going from port to starboard on the boat, at precisely the same time. And in doing so, these very actors, who in over a year have been complaining they are unfairly targeted because all they do is "provide liquidity", did anything but what they claim is their sworn duty. The Day The Market Almost Died (Courtesy Of High Frequency Trading) | zero hedge
An anti-high-frequency-trading blogger, but still it gives some insight into what is going on with electronic trading today.

Audrey
Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I recall the computer programs doing some weird stuff the first time DIA hit 10,000.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
Quote:
". . .what program are they using where you actually type in words to trade instead of numbers?"

I was wondering the same thing.
Would you rather type 10b or 10000000000? ;-)

In any case, I would guess they have a numeric space and a "unit" drop-down indicating whether you are talking "single shares", "thousands", "millions", or "billions"...

Better yet, they should have speech recognition system which does not require any entering but would probably require a confirmation click that what it heard is what you said.

Then again, of all these methods, the fastest one is to type "10b".

P.S. Not saying mistyping "b" and "m" caused the glitch but just answering speculating about the original statement...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I was at an Angel investor conference surprisingly calm at the conference considering the focus of the attendees (making money). My netbook decide to stop working during the crash, screen went blanks. Fixed it this evening by hitting the screen LOL (big hammer theory of computer repair)

I had some good and bad news. I had some old orders to buy the Schwab total market index ETF SCHB at prices well below the market,which got exercised and than turned a profit when the market rebound. Unfortunately some of the orders were in my IRA and didn't have cash to make the purchases oops...
Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What happened today was no fat finger, it was no panic selling by one major account: it was simply the impact of everyone in the HFT community going from port to starboard on the boat, at precisely the same time. And in doing so, these very actors, who in over a year have been complaining they are unfairly targeted because all they do is "provide liquidity", did anything but what they claim is their sworn duty. The Day The Market Almost Died (Courtesy Of High Frequency Trading) | zero hedge
Yes, I was expecting there to be more liquidity and better pricing. I didn't trade anything, but I noticed some ETFs I checked on had ridiculous bid-ask spreads in the hour before market close. I don't recall which ETF, but probably one of Vanguard's or iShares. It was trading around $75 with a $3 bid ask spread. 4%!! I figure if these program traders provide liquidity then the trade off of more volatility is ok. But where was the liquidity yesterday? Maybe in other issues I was not looking at.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - the whole "but, but, but we provide liquidity to the markets!" claim is ringing particularly hollow right now.

Audrey
Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
More on today's high frequency trading snafu:
An anti-high-frequency-trading blogger, but still it gives some insight into what is going on with electronic trading today.

Audrey
Thank you for the link. I read the article, but while I understood the words, I could not make sense of the sentences. The very next thing they said after your quote was

Quote:
And in doing so, these very actors, who in over a year have been complaining they are unfairly targeted because all they do is "provide liquidity", did anything but what they claim is their sworn duty. In fact, as Dennis Dick shows (see below) they were aggressive takers of liquidity at the peak of the meltdown, exacerbating the Dow drop as it slid 1000 points intraday.
What does it mean to be a "taker of liquidity"?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I believe it means the crush of sell orders played a role in shutting down the NYSE for 90 seconds and, in so doing, removed liquidity, caused share prices to fall even more on other exchanges, triggering a lot more selling from programs and from stops being hit. But with the NYSE down, there were very few buyers to match with all the sellers and the free-fall was underway. And furthermore, continued HFTs at that point skewed it even more.

PG selling for $39 and ACN selling for one cent were the results of a lack of a liquid market for selling securities.

Or something like that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it means they didn't facilitate the trading and help maintain orderly markets like a market maker is supposed to do. Instead their programs took advantage of a lack of buyers and made the extraordinarily low bids, exacerbating the problem.

In a lot of these financial institution there is a real conflict between their proprietary trading (trading they do for themselves) and whatever service they provide their customers. We seem to keep running into situations where the proprietary trading takes precedence (big surprise that!) and everyone else (including customers) gets hurt.

You really start to wonder why these services exist, because they start looking like leeches more and more every day.....

Audrey
Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I believe it means the crush of sell orders played a role in shutting down the NYSE for 90 seconds and, in so doing, removed liquidity, caused share prices to fall even more on other exchanges, triggering a lot more selling from programs and from stops being hit. But with the NYSE down, there were very few buyers to match with all the sellers and the free-fall was underway.

PG selling for $39 and ACN selling for one cent were the results of a lack of a liquid market for selling securities.

Or something like that.
OK, sounds good. But wow, what a mess for the NYSE. Modern technology has given traders the ability to instantly switch to other exchanges, rendering the NYSE's main weapon against market disruption ( suspending trading) worse than worthless.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #117

Quote:
We seem to keep running into situations where the proprietary trading takes precedence (big surprise that!) and everyone else (including customers) gets hurt.
Yeah, I suspect these institutional traders were first in line to get their sell orders executed on the way down and first in line to get the buy orders executed off the brief bottom.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, sounds good. But wow, what a mess for the NYSE. Modern technology has given traders the ability to instantly switch to other exchanges, rendering the NYSE's main weapon against market disruption ( suspending trading) worse than worthless.
Yes, this is exactly what was so well demonstrated yesterday.

And the other exchanges just let programs take advantage.

Audrey
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #119

Quote:
It feels like it's to the point that we need the ability to place trades that will not be routed to less liquid exchanges. If someone could have placed a sell order on PG that could *only* be executed at the NYSE, they wouldn't have sold for less than 56 (as opposed to some who probably had their stops hit below 40). It might have taken a few minutes to execute, but at least that provides optional "insurance" for folks placing trades. It seems like that would be critical for folks placing trailing stops.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #120

No wonder the crazy swings yesterday. When the NYSE stops trading, the price is free to plunge on infinitesimal volume. A recipe for disaster. We should breath a sigh of relief that we didn't have total. Meltdown yesterday.