Applying for SS and Medicare at 65

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Much of this I have already posted on other threads, but I decided to consolidate the information to this one. On January 9th, I submitted a SS application to start my SS benefit this month to receive my first SS payment next month (April 2024). On the SS application was a checkbox to also start Medicare Part B, since I turn 65 next month. The printout of this application indicates I have stated "Yes" to that question.

I have received several comments from members here that the SS payment can just show up without any type of communication (online status change, phone call, snail mail). I wouldn't be as concerned about the start of my SS benefit if it weren't for the fact that I applied for and need to have Medicare start next month. My retiree Under-65 medical insurance will end on March 31, 2024, and I cannot extend it (hence the "under-65" part).

Has anyone else applied for both SS and Medicare at the same time to have them start in the month you turned 65? I'm wondering what the process is to be notified that I am signed up for Medicare and Medicare Part B. My prior company is nagging me about this because as a retiree I receive a small monthly subsidy for my Medicare premiums and expenses. But I can't sign up for a Medicare Supplement plan and drug plan through them until I have been approved for Medicare. This all seems like a nasty death spiral.

Have you tried logging in to your SS account to see your Medicare has been approved? It will show there.

Have you tried logging in to your SS account to see your Medicare has been approved? It will show there.
The application (combined SS and Medicare request) says it's in review (step 2 of 3). Hasn't moved since January 9th. Some here have stated that this status did not change for them, with someone indicating it still showed the application being at step 1 (submit) when the first SS payment arrived. I don't see where Medicare gets split out from this application.

I'm not talking about that progress bar. It's a letter you can download. I can't get logged in right now for whatever reason so I can't tell you exactly what to click on.

I would try to call or visit the local SSA office to speed up the process (especially for the Medicare app). We had similar experience (SSB+ PartB @65 during Covid while SSA local office was semi closed). We were trading phone tag until a few days before ACA expires, so we tried to call the local office on daily basis and finally got a hold of a supervisor to make the decision on the spot with only 3 days to spare for Medicare signup. Another good practice is to use a local Medicare agent to be ready to act as soon as you have your Medicare #.
Good luck!

I would try to call or visit the local SSA office to speed up the process (especially for the Medicare app).
I got through to SSA by phone a little bit ago. The rep didn't see anything that should be holding up the process. She did some typing that she indicated should speed up my application's review, and that I should see an update to my online status in 3-5 days. We'll see.

I turned 65 in 2015, 10-yrs after I retired. My employer's health coverage, I was reminded, would end at one-second past midnite on my 65th birthday. (This was a friendly reminder...I was, and still am, good friends with the HR director).

I recall applying for both SS and Medicare simultaneously via the web as soon as the window to do so opened. I'm unclear as to when I applied for my BCBS Plan F supplement but I do recall all three pieces came together effortlessly prior to my 65th. There might've been a phone call from SS to verify some information but I recall the process being stressless. The experience was the same when my wife turned 65 a year later.

I got through to SSA by phone a little bit ago. The rep didn't see anything that should be holding up the process. She did some typing that she indicated should speed up my application's review, and that I should see an update to my online status in 3-5 days. We'll see.

They don't tell you anything until they do. I applied almost 2 months ago in advance of my 67th birthday. Heard nothing until yesterday I received a call from a SS agent. After introductions she asked to speak with my wife.

After a few minutes it was apparent she was getting off the phone and I asked to speak with her. She confirmed my benefits and amount and was done, a pleasant exchange but not the reason she called.

Her only reason to call was to tell my wife that her benefits should go up a couple hundred per month as a result of my filing. Without that we would have never received any notification other than when our account is eventually credited. I see today that my application has been approved as of yesterday.

They don't tell you anything until they do. I applied almost 2 months ago in advance of my 67th birthday. Heard nothing until yesterday I received a call from a SS agent. After introductions she asked to speak with my wife.

After a few minutes it was apparent she was getting off the phone and I asked to speak with her. She confirmed my benefits and amount and was done, a pleasant exchange but not the reason she called.

Her only reason to call was to tell my wife that her benefits should go up a couple hundred per month as a result of my filing. Without that we would have never received any notification other than when our account is eventually credited. I see today that my application has been approved as of yesterday.
I've had zero contact with SS until I called yesterday. As I stated before, the SS rep didn't see anything that led her to believe they needed to contact me for any reason.

My wife filed under her own work record over six years ago. She was 65 at the time (now 71). Her SS benefit is lower than mine, about 7% lower. No spousal benefit for her. So, that should be one less issue for SS to have to deal with.

I start Medicare in June and have the same old company insurance issue. Not starting SS yet though.

I received an email from SSA that there was an update on my combined SS and Medicare application. Logging into my SSA account, I see they have approved both SS and Medicare to start next month. The SS benefit starts this month, with the first SS payment next month. The SS payment amount listed is what I expected.

While they have approved me for Medicare, only Medicare Part A has a premium listed (obviously $0.00/mo). Medicare Part B is also listed, but there isn't an amount there like there is for my wife. My guess is this needs to be passed to Medicare in order for them to determine the premium for Part B and Part D (taking IRMAA into account, which isn't an issue for us this year).

At Medicare.gov, wanting to open an online account, they indicate I can find my Medicare Card number on my SSA account if I don't have a card. I don't see it there. Neither does my wife on her SSA account, and she has been on Medicare for over six years. They did say I should receive confirmation (I'm guessing snail mail) of SS and Medicare within 10-15 days from now. Maybe it will show up then, possibly in early April.

My wife and I applied for ss on Jan 3. We are both full retirement age with no complications. This should be really simple for them. The site said we would receive a letter within 30 days. So far nothing. Now the site says “we are working as fast as we can and will contact you if we need anything”. We have received no letter or contact from anyone. Is this normal or should I be calling someone? Thanks

My wife and I applied for ss on Jan 3. We are both full retirement age with no complications. This should be really simple for them. The site said we would receive a letter within 30 days. So far nothing. Now the site says “we are working as fast as we can and will contact you if we need anything”. We have received no letter or contact from anyone. Is this normal or should I be calling someone? Thanks
Most here would tell you to wait it out for SS. I had DW pestering me about it, so I called them, which actually got the application pushed through in about a week. Her concern wasn't the start of SS, but the start of Medicare, which I was applying for at the same time.

I *need* a Medicare number in order to apply for a gap plan through the company I retired from (I receive a small monthly subsidy for doing so). Despite getting my application approved, I still do not have a Medicare number. I don't see one on my SSA account, and as of this morning, they have not updated the monthly premium for Medicare Part B. It's will be irritating going into next month and not have a gap plan assigned.

Most here would tell you to wait it out for SS. I had DW pestering me about it, so I called them, which actually got the application pushed through in about a week. Her concern wasn't the start of SS, but the start of Medicare, which I was applying for at the same time.

I *need* a Medicare number in order to apply for a gap plan through the company I retired from (I receive a small monthly subsidy for doing so). Despite getting my application approved, I still do not have a Medicare number. I don't see one on my SSA account, and as of this morning, they have not updated the monthly premium for Medicare Part B. It's will be irritating going into next month and not have a gap plan assigned.

I don't remember needing a Medicare # before setting up an account at Medicare.gov but might be mistaken. Once logging in, the Medicare # is there and one can print a "card" also.

But if not, if your claim has processed, if you call Social Security I believe they should be able to give you the Medicare Claim number from your record.

DH found his new Medicare number almost immediately on his Medicare.gov account. I think he signed up for Medicare via Medicare.gov. He did not start SS at the time.

Yes, you need a Medicare # to sign up for gap insurance.

I don't remember needing a Medicare # before setting up an account at Medicare.gov but might be mistaken.
This is what I get when I try to create an account on Medicare.gov:

Create an account

Step 1 of 3

Enter your Medicare information

To get started, you'll need your red, white, and blue Medicare card.

Without a Medicare card number, I can't create a Medicare.gov account.

Go to your SS account. You should see this. Your Medicare number is on the 2nd page

Attachments

• medicare.jpg
    medicare.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 14
^Thank you!! :dance:

That's a very cryptic place for the Medicare information, in a link that states "This is your proof of income letter". Anyway, my SS benefit, along with Medicare premium cost, is listed there, along with my Medicare number. I suspect this information has been available since the approval on March 13.

Back
Top Bottom