Help--Diversification Opportunity

VANGUARDROI

Confused about dryer sheets
All,

What do you think about the following opportunity?

Bought a house in a costal area in 2004 and put down 28% (instead of the 20% required to avoid PMI) on a 30 yr fixed mortgage @ 5.625 APR.

Converted the house to a rental property last year and covering the expenses with the rent. May sell the house within the next 10-15 years.

By refinancing could unlock approximately $50-$60K (appreciation + 8% extra put down during initial purchase). Estimate cost to refi is between 6.5% - 8% APR + closing costs.

Plan would be to invest these $s in a bradly diversified portfolio of index funds to diversify risk + increase deductions for rental property thus reducing taxes. Currently in 25% tax bracket and have a very solid portfolio of index funds.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

VANGUARDROI

I'm sure the advice your going to get here is not to do it. My $0.02 if you insist on doing it though:

Don't trade a 5.625% rate for 6.5% + Keep the low rate and get a no closing cost HELOC if you want to unlock the value. My HELOC is 6.5% 5 year fixed. I got it like 1 year ago though.

If you are thinking long-term and have a high tolerance for risk, borrowing to invest may not be bad since the long-term equity is about 10%. However, there are a lot of forecasts that the market may only produce single-digit return.

Back
Top Bottom