Join Early Retirement Today

Help me simulate an immediate annuity
Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help me simulate an immediate annuity

Later on this year, I will pull the trigger and Iíve been thinking of various ways I can bridge the gap between 55 and 62 when my DW will start collecting social security. I am looking for a little more money Ė say $1,000 per month that I can use to finance the non-essential luxuries that I want to include in my retirement.

One alternative I am considering is laddering CDís over the next 8 years. At an average CD rate of 5.35%, I figure I could withdraw $15K per year over this time period before I exhaust the $$$.

Another alternative I am considering is dumping a full $100K into a fund which has worked well for me. Nuveen Preferred & Convertible Income Fund (JPC) is currently paying a cash return of 8%. This would give me only about half the $$ to work with but I would be preserving my principle. I know I would be subjecting myself to interest rate risk if I do this, but I figure that if I simply hold for the income and donít sell, losses in priciple won't matter.

Regarding JPC, I donít understand why this exchange traded fund sells for such a discount to its NAV. Even with principle fluctuations, if you hold long enough for the dividends, it seems hard to go wrong with. It certainly has worked for me! I bought in last year at a price of 12.50/sh when the yield was over 9%. Over the past year, Iíve enjoyed the 9% yield plus an additional 10% in capital appreciation.

A $100K investment would represent less than 6% of my nest egg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Help me simulate an immediate annuity
Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just took a quick look at JPC. Discount to NAV is gone. Yield is 8%, but that's through leveraged preferreds (higher risk than bonds). ER is 1%.

If the economy takes a dump in the next 8 years, JPC is exposed. If the economy heats up and interest rates rise, JPC is exposed.

If you want predictable income over the next 8 years, I would take the simple ladder approach.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree: treasuries and CDs sound like a much better choice for what you have in mind.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for pointing that out, WAB. They've got junk bonds too which could go south in a downturn.