help, think I need a amended 1040

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
I got a notice(form CP2000) from the IRS stating that I've errors on my 2007 return, the errors were:
1. 2006 state refund omitted. (my mistake, I switched tax software and didn't check my return thoroughly)
2. I made 3 stock trades in 2007 and didn't provide the transaction details in schedule D now the IRS uses zero as the cost basis so now I have a $9k capital gain(wouldn't that be nice !) I don't recall giving every transaction details in the past but then I've made very few trades so my memory is sparse.

after a little googling, it looks like I need to file a 1040x and a corrected 1040. Do I need to attach all documentations(W2, etc) as well? any other pointers? thanks.

If you used tax software for that return, it should have an option to file an amended return.

Yes, I messed something up and called the IRS about 1040x. When they found out I had used TurboTax she said to pull the 1040x from Turbo Tax. It was really easy to correct the mistake and send in the new form.

I had to file a 1040-X last year. I didn't reattach all the documents, only the forms and attachments that needed amending. (I had forgot a couple of 1099-R forms when I FIREd).

Here is a link that I used for tips:
1040X: Filing an Amended Tax Return Using IRS Form 1040X

Be sure to read the tip on page two under the heading:

The most important part of the entire Form 1040X is Part II

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom