Holiday weekends make going back to work even harder.

The Sunday night phenomenon (Monday night for this week) is really strange to me. I don't think I consiously dread going for to work but I frequently have very restless sleep with active and stressful dreaming Sunday nights.

Last night was no exception; I went to bed at 10pm and set my alarm for 5:30 (although I don't need an alarm). Hit the snooze twice, which I don't need to do the rest of the week. I'm awake but will feel exhausted all day today. Last night I dreamed that I could't figure out my college class schedule and where I was supposed to go for my next class. I can't believe I still have those after 25 years! Also dreamed I was in a meeting at work, badmouthing the guy who can't ever seem to get it together... realizing the guy was sitting right next to me. Oops. That one actually make a little more sense. He really does make work very difficult for many of us and eventually some things will have to change.

DW and I talk about retirement frequently on Sundays and how nice it will be to not have to work on Mondays anymore. I'll probably continue to have that stupid dream about forgetting my class schedule no matter what! At least I think I'm done with the one where you show up for school or work in your underwear. :blush:

I switched to working part-time in 2001 after 16 years of full-time work. I can hardly remember what it was like to work full-time. But I have a slightly different take on returning to work after a holiday weekend in my 7 part-time years. Because Tuesday was almost always my day (or my first of a few days) to work in a given week, it felt a little worse to return to work on a week where Tuesday was the first workday. On those weeks, Tuesday felt like a Monday because the Monday holiday felt like a Sunday. I "lost" that Monday buffer with the holiday.

But I have been ERed for 8 years now so every day is a buffer LOL!

Yes, it is very difficult to go back to work after any weekend, or in my case an extra long weekend as I maximized it and took Friday and Tuesday off as well. I have a little spreadsheet "app" that ticks off the days left before I no longer have to go to work. It is the first thing I will check when I go back to the office tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom