Join Early Retirement Today

Home Owners Ins.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Owners Ins.

We are living in Florida and each year about this time my HO's ins bill comes. There are always a list of items that won't be covered under the new policy and the $300 price increase. It's like a ritual and I'm tired of it. I keep trying to raise the deductibles and I'm at the limits now. We've shopped around and it seems the ins comp's are in this together.

My question is, any of you folks taking liability only and self insuring? My broker gave me this option and said many of her clients are going in this direction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
We are living in Florida and each year about this time my HO's ins bill comes. There are always a list of items that won't be covered under the new policy and the $300 price increase. It's like a ritual and I'm tired of it. I keep trying to raise the deductibles and I'm at the limits now. We've shopped around and it seems the ins comp's are in this together.

My question is, any of you folks taking liability only and self insuring? My broker gave me this option and said many of her clients are going in this direction.
We who live in states that could be hit by hurricanes have a pretty rough time with homeowners' insurance, I agree.

I raised my deductible, so I insure myself for smaller losses. That makes sense to me. However, I still carry homeowners' insurance (including wind and hail) and flood insurance, so in the event of a catastrophe I am covered..

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you mind posting how much the premiums are on the value of your property in Florida? I have considered a move to FL in the next few years, but I've seen so many people that say it isn't as cheap as one would expect, with no income tax.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

I have the highest deductibles, 5% hurricane, a monitored alarm system and I have the value at $305 with the ins company. The premium for this year is just over 1800 for the year.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or what the property damage premiums are as a % of your estimated cost to rebuild less your deductible. This would be comparing annual premium to the net amount at risk.

However the thing to keep in mind is that there are numerous outcomes between no loss and a full loss.

For my auto coverage, if the collision coverage becomes 10% of the car's value less the deductible, then I self-insure. Not sure if I would be so bold as to do it for a house though (or a car that was valued as much as my house).
Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have the highest deductibles, 5% hurricane, a monitored alarm system and I have the value at $305 with the ins company. The premium for this year is just over 1800 for the year.
So your premium is about 0.6% of the value of the property? While it is a lot more than what we pay in my area, the risk of loss is obviously much greater.

Is the $1,800 premium both property and liability? If so, how much is the property portion? I assume that you would not want to drop your liability coverage.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We who live in states that could be hit by hurricanes have a pretty rough time with homeowners' insurance, I agree.

I raised my deductible, so I insure myself for smaller losses. That makes sense to me. However, I still carry homeowners' insurance (including wind and hail) and flood insurance, so in the event of a catastrophe I am covered..
Quote:

My house is worth less and my premium is about the same or more than yours...

No, I am not willing to insure a house on my own... all it takes is one large storm to wipe out a whole lifetime of premiums...

PS... how much would you actually save I would bet that the liability costs some money...
Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Here is one way to frame the question.

Let's say you owned a exotic sports car worth $150k and your collision insurance for a year was $900. Would you self insure?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
So your premium is about 0.6% of the value of the property? While it is a lot more than what we pay in my area, the risk of loss is obviously much greater.

Is the $1,800 premium both property and liability? If so, how much is the property portion? I assume that you would not want to drop your liability coverage.
My broker said she would call me on Monday with some options but did say that the liability would be about $400 a year.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have considered self insuring . The real value in my property is the lot . I have two and a half lots on Sarasota bay . My SOs son is an insurance broker so he really shops around for us . Our last bill was $1400 . The only thing that saves us is that we are elevated with breakaway walls on the first floor .Of course we are with Citizen's any other insurance would be double that . Occasionally another insurance pulls us out of Citizen's for a year and then drops us with the excuse we did not realize you were on the water . What did they think it was a gigantic pool ?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have considered self insuring . The real value in my property is the lot . I have two and a half lots on Sarasota bay . My SOs son is an insurance broker so he really shops around for us . Our last bill was $1400 . The only thing that saves us is that we are elevated with breakaway walls on the first floor .Of course we are with Citizen's any other insurance would be double that . Occasionally another insurance pulls us out of Citizen's for a year and then drops us with the excuse we did not realize you were on the water . What did they think it was a gigantic pool ?
Is the $1,400 both property and liability, or just property?

If a hurricane struck and you had a total loss, how much would it cost to rebuild?

I think you need to look at the cost of property coverage only compared to the cost of rebuilding (less the deductible) in making the decision.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Have you recently confirmed the cost to rebuild is $305k? No land value included? Just checkin'.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is the $1,400 both property and liability, or just property?

If a hurricane struck and you had a total loss, how much would it cost to rebuild?

I think you need to look at the cost of property coverage only compared to the cost of rebuilding (less the deductible) in making the decision.
The $1400 is property & liability with a $25,000 deductible . If a hurricane struck and the house was destroyed I would try to sell the land and move on.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
I'd LOVE that ! Mine is double what you pay (and my house is at $250). I'm in Palm Harbor (Pinellas county). Where are you ?

OOPS - just read your deductable of 25k. Mine is 6k for a hurricane and 2k for all else. Maybe I will raise my deductable a bit if it makes that much of a difference.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Have you recently confirmed the cost to rebuild is $305k? No land value included? Just checkin'.
I know it would cost less to rebuild but the Ins company won't come off the 305K.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I'd LOVE that ! Mine is double what you pay (and my house is at $250). I'm in Palm Harbor (Pinellas county). Where are you ?

OOPS - just read your deductable of 25k. Mine is 6k for a hurricane and 2k for all else. Maybe I will raise my deductable a bit if it makes that much of a difference.

Brevard county.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:

Self insure is not the same as don't insure. Your cost is less than 1%, which is not unreasonable for a high risk area. Your worst case is not losing the house, it is major destruction where the house it damaged beyond repair but still standing, and you need to spend another $20k out of pocket to tear it down and clean the lot to rebuild.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #18

The thing that gets me mad is the amount of increases the ins. comp's are allowed to charge each year. I've raised all my deductibles, signed up for monitering on my alarm system and shopped other ins comp's. Yet each year I keep getting raised $200 to $300. Not that I can't afford the $1800, I just don't feel they are entitled to these large increases each year.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #19

Agree that the increases are far outpacing normal inflation but we live in a high risk area. We could move back up north and shovel snow instead LOL
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in S. Florida and had roof damage after hurricane Wilma. I tried to just have it fixed but the repair did not hold. I ended up putting in an insurance claim and the paid over 50k for new roof and other interior water damage.

I will continue to insure. I have storm shutters and have had them inspected which has kept the cost reasonable.