Homeless? Got frequent-flyer miles? Problem solved!

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
It's not exactly frugal LBYM, but this is an interesting innovation on the baguette maneuver:
Homeless Executive Lives Off of Rewards Points - Yahoo! Finance

Jim Kennedy, a 46-year-old executive in Southern California, went from six figures to homeless in less than two years after he lost his job as a corporate-development manager, had to file for bankruptcy and then lost his Newport Beach condo to foreclosure, the OC Register reports.
Now, he's using the more than one million frequent-flier miles and rewards points he accrued in his career to survive and help stretch the few dollars he has.
He's not your typical homeless guy: He drives around in a leased BMW, but hops from hotel to hotel, including a stay at the Motel 6, and tries to keep his food budget to $5 a day. He looks for places with free Internet to to facilitate his job search.
Of course it might also just be job-search marketing, but I don't begrudge him the pain he had to endure to rack up a million frequent-flyer miles...

Wow, that's some amazing story!
No wonder he's broke: Newport Beach? $$$$$...hellooooo!

I looked at my rewards points from my 26 months of traveling and figure I have 87 nites for hotels. If I got creative could probably stretch more than that.

Tomcat98

There's a movie about something like that: Up in the Air.

Meadbh.....from an airport, somewhere......

I've reached million-mile status on two different airlines, and with the DL-NW merger I'm not far from the third..:blush:

I have a piddly 182,000 miles on America right now and I thought I was rich! I envy you for sure!!! Lucky dog, you!!!

Back
Top Bottom