Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What method did you use to ER?
LBYM and save 34 69.39%
Sell appreciated house 1 2.04%
Inheritance or stock options 5 10.20%
Move abroad 0 0%
Pension plan 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How did you ER
Old 07-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Saved like crazy (about 50% of our after-tax income). Didn't buy a big house and endured derision about the little house we did buy.

We did get a small inheritance and that was enough to send us over the top to ER at 44 and 45.

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I was lucky.* *Great Stk. options and several years of large salary bonus money got us to critical mass and over the hump while we remained frugal. (Actually, we are just plain cheap!) I could sell the house and retire on that alone, as many will attest the tulip mania for housing prices has put lots of paper equity in everyone's balance sheets.* We are ER'd at 50/41.*

LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Send a message via MSN to cons Send a message via Yahoo to cons

i'm also a wanabe reitree.

however, i came across this article and it reminded me of how one can achieve FIRE:

If americans just followed rule #1, LBYM, they'd be set to ER!

cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dont like that little blurb on calculated risks in startups! Was that their little way of making a few bucks mentioning some bs startup investment firm?

Dollar cost average, minimize costs, invest a large chunk of your income, and start as early as possible to take advantage of compounding SHOULD have been mentioned, also.

- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote