Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Inheritance or stock options

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Move abroad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pension plan

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
For hubby and I it would be a combination of pensions and lbym/savings. (IRAs, 457s, CDs, money markets)

And we've tried real hard to pay cold hard cash for most everything except the mortgage. We firmly believe that it is not what you have coming in but what you have going out.

53 for him, 50 for me.

There's a distinct dearth of poll options.   None of the above for me.

Sold my business at 37.   Continued working for a few years after that, and then it finally dawned on me that I didn't need to work anymore.  Retired at 40.   A couple of good real estate transactions didn't hurt, either.

BTW, am I the only who hates the LBYM abbreviation?   That "B" could mean either "Below" or "Beyond."

Two pensions, LBYM, and save, plus military healthcare. I guess I'll select pensions in the poll :confused:

Stock options, investing in the late 90's, huge real estate gains, and quitting spending like a fool a couple of years before I took a years pay to be 'reduced' at 39 and then figured out I didnt have to go back.

DH retired at 51, I retired at 48 (both of us from the phone company). Combination of large lump sum pensions, 401K, LBYM, mortgage paid off and most importantly free retiree medical benefits. DH has been retired for 7 years, myself for 4. Biggest challenge has been managing our nest egg through the ups and downs of the market.

wabmester said:
BTW, am I the only who hates the LBYM abbreviation?   That "B" could mean either "Below" or "Beyond."

Same thing could be said for DH and DW. That "D" could mean either "Dear" or "Dumb."

I don't think there's a correct answer in the poll for us either. "Sell appreciated house" seems to imply principal residence, which we did make some money from, not much. I guess, by definition, anyone retired is an LBYMer; but since we sucked at reducing spending, we had to figure out how to increase our 'means'.

We retired 2 years ago at 36 and 35 mainly from real estate investments and the sell of my small accounting practice.

Beachbumz 8)

I'm retireing soon but only because the wife is going to continue working. I'll be 48. The wife plans to work until she is 52 and eligible for her pension. We will have a combination of savings and her pension. We had a couple of decent real estate deals and have done OK in stocks. We are also debt free. Havn't paid interest to anyone beside the mortgage for many years. Paid off the house this year. We are saving all of my salary and some of hers. We have two kids in college and we are paying for most of that, so I put off my retirement for a few months.

We currently couldn't both retire and live the same lifestyle that we do now. The wife enjoys her job so it isn't an issue now. Also their is always the hope for an early out deal. I have been tracking our expenses for the last few years and we both could retire now, but we would have to sell the house and move to a less expensive area. We would also have to cut back on a few things. The biggest worry would be health insurance.

lbym and save/invest for 10 years prior to retirement, but still couldn't do it w/o the pension !

retire@40 said:
Same thing could be said for DH and DW. That "D" could mean either "Dear" or "Dumb."
When I first saw it, thought "Divorced" (as in "Ex") from context. :eek:

None of the above! Just did it because I wanted to.

Semiretired at 49
Completely at 54

JG

retire@40 said:

Thats the tasty part of it!

DH could also = Dick Head... ;)

I aint doin' it for 'DW'... :eek:

Bump. We are getting some interesting results. Saving is the clear winner, followed a distant second by pension. Only 2 got a financial windfall. I'll keep this unscientific poll open a while longer. :)

Technically I didnt vote because I got there by more than one option, almost equally weighted, and I couldnt vote for 2 different things...

Back
Top Bottom