How did your portfolio do in 2010 ?

About 12.8% overall. 55% equities, 35% bonds and 10% cash.

I beat my balanced fund benchmarks for the 3rd year in a row. The AA part of the portfolio did about 13.5% versus 9.4% for the benchmark balanced funds.

Audrey

20.5% (100/0). I have some cash, but that is just an emergency fund. Mostly VTSMX with some VISVX. I expect another moderate to good year next year.

I should have qualified my original post as to just money I have invested in equities, if I include my fixed income holdings my rate of return would be more in the 8% arena. Sorry bout that.

Paltry 3.5% in 401K...i guess too conservative there.

86% in active trading account...would like to repeat that performance.

50/50, Vanguard says I have a 10.1% gain. Kept taking equity profits to keep the allocation and paid down the mortgage which went from $190k to $130k

I dipped my toe into my first mutual fund (Vanguard STAR Fund) in April and it immediately dropped and then recovered. It's up 5.5% from where I started.

This is a learning exercise for me. So far I learned -
-Should not check daily.
-Losses make me uncomfortable.
-Gains feel good.
-Dividends are fun!
-I'm still a chicken when it comes to this stuff but I'm learning to trust a little. With small amounts. A little at a time.

Lots of money floating around here. It makes me wonder... Ah, perish bad thoughts on New Year Day.

+12.7% with a 65/35 allocation

40/60 Mix : 10.07%
U.S Stock (28%) : 4.83%
Intl Stock (12%) : 1.33%
Bond (60%): 3.91%

Difficult to give an overall figure since I was paying new money in all through the year. However, the weighted average of the stock and bond funds which I was holding at 1/1/2010 is up about 19% - that's about 80% stocks, half in emerging markets. (The other side of my portfolio is a lot more conservative.) Pretty nice to have. :)

Not worked out details; have more than I did.

Yeah, but being as Scroogy as I am, I want to know how and why, so that I can continue to have more, more, more...

Eh, perhaps I should want "more" of something other than money too. :angel:

Eh, perhaps I should want "more" of something other than money too. :angel:

Yes, more free time, strength, intelligence, wisdom, compassion, love, peace, joy, respect, etc. More money definitely does not hurt. :)

That surely is a long list. :whistle:

And I thought that I was already too greedy. :cool:

But philosophically, why wanting more money is called greed, but desire of other "things" is OK? Of course I am not talking about altruistic things like world peace and such.

About 7% overall. Not as good as it should have been. I have made some changes in my portfolio in addition to rebalancing.

Resolving to pay less attention to my money and more to my family.

Last edited:
Vanguard calculates my return at 21.4 percent but it excludes all my linked accounts
ie 401k, other Ira's etc. It includes new savings which are significant!

Is there a simple formula to calculate return? One that takes into account new savings?

torres9

Vanguard calculates my return at 21.4 percent but it excludes all my linked accounts

Is there a simple formula to calculate return? One that takes into account new savings?

torres9
One reasonable way to do it is:
ROI % for the year = [final portfolio number/(starting number + new contributions during the year) - 1] x 100

Thus your final number is not inflated by the contributions during the year, yet you assume all gains were due the start of the year investments which IMO is "good enough".

This is how Quicken computes ROI.

Audrey

torres9
Use XIRR function in Excel.To find your return, list the dates of your deposits and withdrawals in one column. In the next column, enter your deposit amounts as positive numbers and your withdrawals (or the current value of your portfolio) as negative numbers. Pick an empty cell and enter "=XIRR(values, dates)" to show your return. For example, if you enter the 4 values in column B starting from row 1 and their respective dates in column A, enter this formula: =XIRR(B1:B4,A1:A4) in B5.

=XIRR(B1:B11,A1:A11)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom