How did your portfolio do in 2010 ?

Just checked, the Vanguard portion: 15.3%

As I also hold some at Fidelity and about a third of the portfolio at Scottrade in equity ETF's it will be somewhere north of that. I don't focus as much on the returns as on the FIRE # so don't try to calculate a total XIRR or some variation thereof. Currently ahead of schedule by about a year! :D

DD

Finally got off by b*tt and rolled my three accounts together.

14.2% with a 74/26 stock/bond portfolio. I'm pretty happy with that. Kind heavy on stocks now that I look at it.:hide:

Newbie question: When looking at the DW 401k options, there is two stock growth funds, one has a return of 12%, the other 14%. It looks like over history (>10 years) the latter fund has out performed the first by 2% continually (even losing 2% less during the down years) anyhow, is the expense ratio/mgmt fees deducted/included in the posted return?

And for that matter is the management fee included in the expense ratio or do you add the two to get total fees?

The fund that is continually 2% ahead costs almost 1% more.

Newbie question: When looking at the DW 401k options, there is two stock growth funds, one has a return of 12%, the other 14%. It looks like over history (>10 years) the latter fund has out performed the first by 2% continually (even losing 2% less during the down years) anyhow, is the expense ratio/mgmt fees deducted/included in the posted return?

And for that matter is the management fee included in the expense ratio or do you add the two to get total fees?

The fund that is continually 2% ahead costs almost 1% more.

Reported fund returns are typically after asset management fees and expenses, so the information you are looking at should be comparable. Interesting that the latter fund is consistently 2% better, but perhaps they are truly better stock pickers (or the first fund are worse stock pickers). How do the long term returns of each fund compare to the benchmark returns for similar growth stocks?

Newbie question: When looking at the DW 401k options, there is two stock growth funds, one has a return of 12%, the other 14%. It looks like over history (>10 years) the latter fund has out performed the first by 2% continually (even losing 2% less during the down years)...
What are the names of these two funds - or are they proprietary to her 401k?

Last edited:
What are the names of these two funds - or are they proprietary to her 401k?

Getting some more info...Her 401k is through Fidelity and they have grouped them together as *large cap stock fund*, but they are different as one is 80% in the S&P 500 (FUSEX) expense ratio 0.10%

Benchmark-similar to S&P (and that is expected with being 80% the same).

2nd one, better return, is a growth fund (FDGRX) expense ratio 0.93%

Comparing to benchmarks at 1yr, 3yr, 5yr, 10yr it is always higher than the Russell 3000 growth by as little as 0.5% (3yr mark) to 3% (1yr mark)

FUSEX is Fidelity's S&P 500 index fund while FDGRX is a managed growth fund. That would explain the difference in expense ratios. Whether the managed fund will continue to outperform the index by sufficient margin to overcome the added cost is anyone's guess.

I made a fortune in companies that dismantle bank signs and ones that made "For Rent", "For Lease", and "For Sale" signs. This year I plan on adding companies that clean up after arson fires, and tow truck operators who have contracts to repossess cars. ;-)

13.8% overall
I have money all over the place and need to balance and consolidate. I also need to self direct and get away from the brokerage.
I have 16% in direct equities
5% cash
14% in direct money markets and CDs
23% in Russell Family of funds
42% in other various funds, bonds,equities,Asian,emerging markets, income

Personally I use Quicken (used to use MS Money but it went away so I converted the data into Quicken...). It gives good and easy stats.
MSMoney did not go away. Instead it became free and unsupported. It works rather well for all this. I doubt you are getting much support for Quicken from Intuit anyways, so why pay for it?

I made no contributions and no withdrawals during 2010

My total gain for my retirement money was 9.9%

I had 42% of my money in stocks which earned a 20% return
I had 33% of my money in a CD earning 6%
I had 25% of my money in cash which effectively earned nothing.

(note: The reason I had so much in "cash" was because I had earned such a good return in 2009 that I wanted to play it safe. This percentage will decline in 2011)

Used my own spreadsheet and formulas and I came up with 13.9%. Still contributing to 401k and IRA at max, so subtracting that I came up with 11.2%... 60E/35B/5C

12.3% on 60/40 with some major consolidating during the year. I'm fairly happy with that considering where we've been the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom