How do you handle cold calls for donations on phone?

In my experience, the ones claiming to represent police and fire benevolence associations are the worst in that regard. Many of them have administrative costs of nearly 80%. Yet they try to make it sound like they are like the usual police and fire charities, the kind that locally hold the "fill the boot" drives with off-duty firefighters collecting for local charities and such. No thanks.

Some of you may know I'm a police officer. My police association does not solicit money over the phone for two reasons:

1) We think its despicable to solicit money from hard working people when they have no idea that only 10%-25% of the donation is going to the charity.

2) We don't need your money and dont expect you to give your money to help us advance our causes.

There are, however, some good police related charities, for example, the (insert city here) police widows fund, but if you feel like you want to help them out, please call them and pledge your money directly to them. No middle man needed.

I got a call from a vaguely police sounding "charity" who told me he represented local police. I love local police, so I perked right up and asked him in what way he was "representing" them. He back pedaled quickly and put the supervisor on the line. That was going no where, so I asked him to send me info about their organization so I could decide if I wanted to support them. They send me a "confirmation of your pledge" card and then harrassed me over the next month with calls and letters to "fullfil" my pledge. Jerks. Possibly criminal jerks.

I support a local police benovolent organization I got contact info from the nearest police station to my house. At least I know some actual police approve of this one.

it happens that the listing for my phone number is under a different name, so when anyone wants to speak with Mr. or Mrs. X, it's clear they don't have a clue who they are calling. so, i cheerily ask them to hold while i go to get Mr or Mrs X ... occasionally i'll come back to say "just another minute", but usually i just walk away from the phone. i trust this causes them more irritation then their call has caused me.

If I happen to pick up I'm pretty abrupt. No thank you and hang up. We screen our calls. But, sometimes a call will come through with the number (not number unavailible)

Mrs Scrapr answered one about dinner time and starts chatting away. She is a people person. (LOL) She once talked for 15 mins with a wrong number. She hands me the phone for me to line up a meeting.

Turns out it was a survey firm. They were doing a focus group survey. So about a week later I go to the hotel. About 10 folks there. We talk for about an hour and a half. Local water district wanted opinions on a new water sorce.

They were having to do this because they couldn't get people to talk on the phone for more than a minute or two.

Best part? Got a Ben Franklin. And 2 box lunches.

I had to give up the hun as soon as I got home

The best I've read from the novelist Carl Hiassen regarding his novel 'Nature Girl:
"I'd always fantasized about tracking down one of these telemarketing creeps and turning the tables -- phoning his house every night at dinner, the way they hassle everybody else. In the novel, my heroine takes it a whole step farther. She actually tricks the guy into signing up for a bogus "ecotour" in Florida, and then proceeds to teach him some manners. Or tries.'"

For more info see: Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - FAQ

The best I've read from the novelist Carl Hiassen regarding his novel 'Nature Girl:
"I'd always fantasized about tracking down one of these telemarketing creeps and turning the tables -- phoning his house every night at dinner, the way they hassle everybody else. In the novel, my heroine takes it a whole step farther. She actually tricks the guy into signing up for a bogus "ecotour" in Florida, and then proceeds to teach him some manners. Or tries.'"

For more info see: Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - FAQ

This book was hysterical, tho a bit far-fetched. I love Carl Hiassen- Ben Rehder is a close second for off-the-wall tongue-in cheek humor.

Back
Top Bottom