Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
Fortunately do not get many phone solicitations - the "do not call" program generally works well.

I ask the caller, "can I call you back later at your home while you're enjoying your evening to talk about this more ?"....
I got a kick out of this one. I wish I were clever. I just say "sorry, not interested" and hang up quickly. I used to try to be polite but finally learned that it is a losing proposition.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I screen my calls. If I happen to pick up, I hang up.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #63

My sister worked for a telemarketer briefly while she was in high school, and really hated the work. She much preferred people just hanging up on her than going through the whole spiel with them before they said no.

Side story - we used to get calls for some kind of disabled veteran's organization and I usually sent a few dollars in the envelope they mailed afterward. Then one day I got tired of sending money out of guilt for saying "no" and called the number on the back of the form to get us off their list. Some guy answered, definitely the same guy who always called, and I swear it was his home phone. No idea if he was actually donating the money (or some minimal percentage) but he was really flustered and of course never called again.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #64

I don't answer unblocked calls. And I doubt that it was a real charity (like the people hanging out at the malls offering to take your money for hurricane Katrina).

If I do get solicited (like by the cashiers in stores), I tell them that I give through MegaCorp since they match all donations.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think most telephone solicitors would rather be doing anything else if they felt they could find a different job. As such, just hanging up lets them get on with their next call, which is how they make their money. The only ones I ever unload on are the deceptive ones, like the fake cops or firefighters.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #66

A friend of mine many years ago worked for a bank and would call their CC holders to offer special deals for using their cards. She told me they have a list of replies to the most common negative responses from their customers.

I recalled what she told me a few years later when I got one of those calls from Discover, a card I had at the time but had never used because Sears did not take the major CCs at the time (early 1990s) but did later on. Anyway, I told the Discover rep that not only had I not used the card recently (which she happened to mention in the phone call) but in fact I had NEVER used the card in all the years I had it.

This uncommon response flustered the rep and she quickly said "Okay and thank you," and ended the call.

Remembering what my bank rep friend told me, I thought to myself, "I guess THAT one was not on her list!" LOL!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #67

Some years ago, there were a lot of cold telemarketing calls for cable TV and satellite TV. Apparently our neighborhood was the focus of a marketing struggle between the two. I used to tell them that I did not have a TV, but found it stopped only half of them. The others gamely struggled on with their script, suggesting that I would enjoy all the new shows and programming if I ever got a TV.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just never answer the phone. When I used to address them, I advised them that I never agree to anything over the phone - you would need to send it in writing. Ironically, I would never see the correspondence in the mail.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl View Post
I just never answer the phone. When I used to address them, I advised them that I never agree to anything over the phone - you would need to send it in writing. Ironically, I would never see the correspondence in the mail.
The communication technique might be driven by economics.
The phone call (even with a human on the line) is probably cheaper than mail.

Edit to add: The phone/mail decision might also have a bias toward the more effective technique.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Sometimes I will string them along and try to put them off their script, i.e. no I don't care about
-religion
-charity
-politics

If they call too often, I ask them to hold and then go out.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #71

I wish I could pull this off:

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #72

I love it! That one's a howl!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #73

I have cordless phones that allow you to chose the ring-tone you want to use per caller. All friends, family, anyone we want to talk to have been assinged one type of ring tone and those are the only calls we pick up. Every one else goes to voicemail. Saves us the bother of stopping what we are doing and walking over to the phone to look at the caller ID.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Caller ID. I don't answer any one with "UNKNOWN NAME, UNKNOWN CALLER" or any that I do know that are bothering me.

Took several years ago from a police organization and gave every six months. Then they gave away my number and now I don't give to any of the police organizations.

BEFORE CALLER ID, I used to get calls from this dude who was selling precious metals. He would start on this long spiel, and I got tired of him. So one day I looked up every disgusting insulting phrase that I could think of, and when he called like clockwork, I started to call him these names. Unfortunately I realy did get completely out of control yelling at him, and foaming at the mouth. In the end he asked me if I was alright,a nd i said no, and hung up. A week later he called again. So I used a technique that caused him never to call back. I encouraged him to tell me everything and sounded like I really wanted the metals. Then..... I put the phone down on a pillow and walked away. When I came back ten minutes later he was still talking. As I listened he suddenly realized he had a dead line. Then he use some of the phrases that I'd used. but he called me back 10 minutes lated to cuss me out for walking away. The good thing? I never heard from him again.

But now its caller ID, unless I'm especially ornery and and then I go into curmudgeon mode and actually talk to them.

Z
Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

"Take me off of your list" and hang up.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In my experience, the ones claiming to represent police and fire benevolence associations are the worst in that regard. Many of them have administrative costs of nearly 80%. Yet they try to make it sound like they are like the usual police and fire charities, the kind that locally hold the "fill the boot" drives with off-duty firefighters collecting for local charities and such. No thanks.
Some of you may know I'm a police officer. My police association does not solicit money over the phone for two reasons:

1) We think its despicable to solicit money from hard working people when they have no idea that only 10%-25% of the donation is going to the charity.

2) We don't need your money and dont expect you to give your money to help us advance our causes.

There are, however, some good police related charities, for example, the (insert city here) police widows fund, but if you feel like you want to help them out, please call them and pledge your money directly to them. No middle man needed.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #77

I got a call from a vaguely police sounding "charity" who told me he represented local police. I love local police, so I perked right up and asked him in what way he was "representing" them. He back pedaled quickly and put the supervisor on the line. That was going no where, so I asked him to send me info about their organization so I could decide if I wanted to support them. They send me a "confirmation of your pledge" card and then harrassed me over the next month with calls and letters to "fullfil" my pledge. Jerks. Possibly criminal jerks.

I support a local police benovolent organization I got contact info from the nearest police station to my house. At least I know some actual police approve of this one.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #78

it happens that the listing for my phone number is under a different name, so when anyone wants to speak with Mr. or Mrs. X, it's clear they don't have a clue who they are calling. so, i cheerily ask them to hold while i go to get Mr or Mrs X ... occasionally i'll come back to say "just another minute", but usually i just walk away from the phone. i trust this causes them more irritation then their call has caused me.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

If I happen to pick up I'm pretty abrupt. No thank you and hang up. We screen our calls. But, sometimes a call will come through with the number (not number unavailible)

Mrs Scrapr answered one about dinner time and starts chatting away. She is a people person. (LOL) She once talked for 15 mins with a wrong number. She hands me the phone for me to line up a meeting.

Turns out it was a survey firm. They were doing a focus group survey. So about a week later I go to the hotel. About 10 folks there. We talk for about an hour and a half. Local water district wanted opinions on a new water sorce.

They were having to do this because they couldn't get people to talk on the phone for more than a minute or two.

Best part? Got a Ben Franklin. And 2 box lunches.

I had to give up the hun as soon as I got home
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

The best I've read from the novelist Carl Hiassen regarding his novel 'Nature Girl:
"I'd always fantasized about tracking down one of these telemarketing creeps and turning the tables -- phoning his house every night at dinner, the way they hassle everybody else. In the novel, my heroine takes it a whole step farther. She actually tricks the guy into signing up for a bogus "ecotour" in Florida, and then proceeds to teach him some manners. Or tries.'"

For more info see: Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - FAQ