Join Early Retirement Today

good questions!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

good questions!

I wood like 2 answer some of your good questions, but dont know how you people highlight the quotes n blue- then address the question?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanston View Post
I wood like 2 answer some of your good questions, but dont know how you people highlight the quotes n blue- then address the question?
hit the QUOTE button at the lower right of the sub-window for this post.
type below the [\quote] characters.

oh, and be careful which questions you answer. i would avoid the botox and hemorrhoid creme questions for now til you get your sea legs.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
hit the QUOTE button at the lower right of the sub-window for this post.
type below the [\quote] characters.

oh, and be careful which questions you answer. i would avoid the botox and hemorrhoid creme questions for now til you get your sea legs.
thanks for the warning!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Blanston, well done on your asset "protection". Seems like positives all around, how's the rental market where you are? what are the out goings apart form the mortgage payments? .
The rental market is ok-but I believe is getting softer. I have apprrx 20% decline in rents built into my downside scenario.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

help freebird

I messed up my reply to nun. I cut paste and awswered Nun's question- but the reest of the post was Nun's!!

How do I just take part of a question to be higlighted and post answer??

Maybe I should just go back to real estate investing? It is easier than this!!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I messed up my reply to nun. I cut paste and awswered Nun's question- but the reest of the post was Nun's!!

How do I just take part of a question to be higlighted and post answer??

Maybe I should just go back to real estate investing? It is easier than this!!
here i am.
just stay outside the [/quote] at beginning and end of the other person's post. KISS method.
we can follow the answers you give...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The rental market is ok-but I believe is getting softer. I have apprrx 20% decline in rents built into my downside scenario.

I think you'll find most people on this forum invest for the long term and are reasonably well diversified which has made the losses less than they could have been. Many retiree's have cash buckets, CD ladders or other fixed income sources to help them through such a downturn and those of us with a few years to go until retirement should be keeping to our asset allocation plan. Finally low levels of debt and LBYM are qualities of many on this forum which will help them to cope with the current situation.

So that's how I'm protecting my assets, and my peace of mind.
is this the messed up one? if so, reopen your response to his post, not this one, by clicking on Edit. you can Edit for a little while before the post become permanent.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

everyone is experiencing asset ruination. what can we do about it? not a darn thing except stick to our individual plans and bounce ideas off each other.

there are some very smart people here. relax and go with the flow. [/quote]

You really are high tech Freeby.

I understand that we are all being deflated. fist like a slow leak- more recently like a blow out! But I am doing something about it. There are others too that have implemented some actions.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did it again Freebird!

I will go away. sorry.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm trying to take advantage of this market by buying stocks on the cheap. Real estate is also cheap right now, obviously. Not sure where else to put my money to work... anyone know where the next bubble will be? We went through tech stocks and real estate, what's next? I'd like to get in early.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will go away. sorry.
fat fingers on the keyboard? no problem.
when you quote, look for two sets of brackets...
[ quote=poster name;nnnnnn ] at the beginning and [ /quote ] at the end.
type anywhere but in between those two sets of brackets and you are golden.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

You really are high tech Freeby.

I understand that we are all being deflated. fist like a slow leak- more recently like a blow out! But I am doing something about it. There are others too that have implemented some actions.

um...i'm a FIREd engineer. i just can't help myself.

i think we all could use a case of Fix A Flat right now.

ignore the bold formatting here. that will be covered in Quote 200. j/k
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You mentioned you bought all your RE properties with nothing down, it made you sound like a Carlton Sheets commercial.......

What happens to your plan if the RE market doesn;t recover for a couple years, and you can't get tenants?
I did not buy with nothing down. I paid cash. I am not Carlton or rich dad.

I am not a flipper. I intend to hold these properties. They do cash flow. I don't expect real estate to recover for 7 to 10 years, maybe longer!

Freeby I hope this post works. now I'm i Itallics!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
I'm trying to take advantage of this market by buying stocks on the cheap. Real estate is also cheap right now, obviously. Not sure where else to put my money to work... anyone know where the next bubble will be? We went through tech stocks and real estate, what's next? I'd like to get in early.
Too late. It's in short term Treasuries! Not much upside but some people are going to be disappointed when they lose money in short term bond funds.

Maybe guns, ammo and safes. Or ultra short ETFs. Too late on that one too (hopefully).
Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not buy with nothing down. I paid cash. I am not Carlton or rich dad.

I am not a flipper. I intend to hold these properties. They do cash flow. I don't expect real estate to recover for 7 to 10 years, maybe longer!

Freeby I hope this post works. now I'm i Itallics!!!
but you look so good in Italics.
i can't wait to see how you do with the emoticons. just kidding...
i have no idea what you see on your window, but look above for the toolbar within the post quote editor. see the B, I, U ?
click them on and off.
keep playing with the editor. you're doing fine. there are more sophisticated editors, but this is what we gots to work with. it's basic.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
So the only reason why your assets haven't dropped is because you are buying deflating assets at a discount? It will prop up your balance sheet for a while but it kinda sound like a short term patch... If real estate prices keep coming down, won't that affect your total asset value at some point? Unless of course you can continue buying assets at discounted prices until the market turns around. And of course, as you build up your RE portfolio, you will need to accelerate your discounted purchases to prevent your ever larger asset base from dropping. How long before you max out your borrowing power and the banks shut you down?

Plus I am always weary of people who claim they can buy assets below market price... Whatever you end up paying for a property IS the market price as far as I am concerned.

But if it works, it will have been a very bold move on your part. Personally I can think of 3 simpler ways to stop my assets from dropping or at least slow down the decline: 1) go all cash. 2) save more. 3) invest in a reverse index fund. I have been doing 2) and 3), still not enough to completely offset the losses though. Quite a few people on this board are doing 1).
Thanks Dreamer...You have implemented a plan to help prop up your assets. Thanks for sharing. I have a little more cash too and saving more. Don't have any reverse index stuff.

I have no way of knowing that the real estate I am buying is at the bottom. But as a mortgage broker-real estate broker-landlord, I do know that I am buying below the current market value. It is aslo a fact, I am not buying at the top.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
First rule I am following is to not take on any more debt.
Second rule is to pay off any debt I currently have (besides my primary mortgage).
Third is to continue to invest a small amount of cash in dividend paying equities. My dividend income continues to rise, so I have no immediate stressors.
Forth, stockpile more cash, so when things get a little more stable I can buy more heavily in the market.
I don't care if I invest at the very bottom or not, I just want to be a little more confident.
Not too bad zat. You are very conservative, so am I. I have kept my unsecured debt down too.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those of us looking for an income stream the ups and downs of the price of the assets isn't so important as long as the income stream continues to grow.
In my case, I am buying more as the market goes down. This raises the income stream at a lower price that I could if the market were high.
The only concern is if any of the stocks I have drastically cut or eliminate their dividends.
So far, I have many more that have raised their dividends than those that have cut them. So I am not so concerned if the portfolio value decreases.
I guess what I am saying is, I have no plan to stop my assets from falling, as my income is growing, and long term the assets will recover as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
If Blanston can buy places for 1/3 of their last sale price in 2006 and rent them for a rent/month that is 1.4% of the purchase price he will do just great. Work will be involved handling the rentals and upkeep, but there is plenty of slack to do maintenance, deal with vacancy, and even >shock< make principal payments. Were i filled with a desire to work harder and presented with similiar deals close to where we live i would jump all over them.
Thanks Calm...I kinda of enjoy the fix up part-what little I know how to do. I have gotten my kids involved in this too. Cleaning, yard work, etc. But the real work is done by reliable handy man, etc. I woops- I am itallics again!

I review applications but leave the face to face and any other tenant contact to ohers.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
In my case, I am buying more as the market goes down.
Me too Zat!