Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: At the time you retire(d) what percent of your investable nest egg was in after-tax investments (NOT
< 5% 8 5.26%
5-10% 10 6.58%
6-20% 28 18.42%
21-50% 41 26.97%
51-75% 36 23.68%
76-100% 29 19.08%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How much of your nest egg is after-tax money?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And deferred ordinary income is for example what is in traditional IRAs, 401K, etc.?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am just over 50% after tax. A chunk of that was from an inheritance. As we keep putting $$ into tax deferred, that balance will shift to a greater percentage there. Having the flexibility to access to those aftertax funds is good.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Only 4% of our liquid net worth is in after tax accounts.

Since the early 80s, I have always put the maximum in tax advantaged accounts. My thought process was that I couldn't spend it if I couldn't get to it. I would use year end bonuses to fund IRAs. I have made the maximun IRA/Roth contribution every year, except once, since 1982. I have always done the maixmum on 401ks every year that they have been available to me since 1984. Now we are funding my wife's IRA as well.

It seemed that it was difficult to save much of anything after that. Something always seems to come up; like kid's college, major house repair, etc. I always wanted to have that 3-6 months of expenses for an emergency fund. On the other hand, I never had to wait to long for the other shoe to drop. I guess that is why it is an emergency fund.

I consider myself fortunate that I had the discipline to max out IRAs and 401ks. Those funds have done well. Otherwise I spent what I made.

Milkman
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I'm not sure I follow your logic. You'll only get taxed once when you withdraw. Those with taxable portfolios get taxed on every reinvested dividend or interest and on the gains after a sale, as well as on the originally invested income.
WAB, I think what Rich was saying is that when you have $50K you spend from a taxable account in retirement, you have $50K to spend. If it is coming from a pre-tax account then you have to subtract the taxes. So if the tax rate was 10% (effective), then you would have only $45K to spend. So $1M in a taxable account gives you $1M, but the same amount in a pre-tax account gives you less to actually spend, as you have to pay taxes on that amount. So to be in an "equivalent" level of prosperity, $1M in a post-tax account is worth more to you than the same amount in a pre-tax account.

One other effect that hasn't been mentioned is deferred capital gains. In my case I have about 75% of my money in post-tax accounts. They're set up to minimize capital gains (mostly in index funds). But as time goes on my deferred capital gains grow. When I finally RE I will still have some tax liability in my post-tax accounts, but not as much as from the traditional IRAs, 401Ks, etc.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy
So $1M in a taxable account gives you $1M, but the same amount in a pre-tax account gives you less to actually spend, as you have to pay taxes on that amount. So to be in an "equivalent" level of prosperity, $1M in a post-tax account is worth more to you than the same amount in a pre-tax account.
But you still have to pay taxes on the gains from the taxable account when you sell. And on the interest. And on the dividends. And if you're reinvesting the interest/dividends/gains during your retirement, you get taxed twice: on the original distribution as well as on the new gains.

Over the long term, the tax deferred account should do better, and since we're ER's, the long term matters a lot.

And there's always a chance that you'll pay no taxes at all on your tax-deferred accounts. All you need to do is die before you get your first RMD. :P
Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm more like you Rich

My heaviest saving has always been in my 401K where I have contributed 15% and enjoyed a copany match of 5% for the last 25 years. For years while paying a mortgage, paying college tuitions, etc., etc., etc. I really wasn't able to save anything else. It wasn't until quite recently that I've been able to start saving anything outside of this vehicle. Currently I've got about 10% of my savings in non-qualified vehicles.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #47

We are currently 65% tax deferred, 35% after tax - we are maxing out as much of the tax deferred as possible as well as adding to the after tax - the after tax is going to be a supplement to our small pension until I hit 60, 62 and 65 respectively and get my pensions. Our tax deferred will stay in tax deferred for a long time - hoping to live totally off the small pension in 5-8 years and the after tax earnings (4% or less).
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #48

interesting poll ... being 3/4's real estate I voted in the last bracket. This is not to say I realized the taxes on those gains ... but it's not tax sheltered.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
interesting poll ... being 3/4's real estate I voted in the last bracket. This is not to say I realized the taxes on those gains ... but it's not tax sheltered.
Real estate has to be the best investment tax-wise. $500K tax-free cap gains every time you sell your residence. Depreciation allowance on rentals. 1031 exchanges. Who needs an IRA?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
But you still have to pay taxes on the gains from the taxable account when you sell.
No controversy about that. It's a planning matter, however, to the extent that ordinary income is taxed differently from gains, etc.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
No controversy about that. It's a planning matter, however, to the extent that ordinary income is taxed differently from gains, etc.
Not even a planning matter, it's more of a speculation matter on current tax structure vs future tax structure. No way to really tell which way will be better in the end, but it's usually a pretty good bet that your overall tax bite will be lower post-retirement than pre-retirement.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 60% after-tax, but that should shift in the next 10 years. I am just starting off, but last year I did pretty well and the 401k just couldn't keep up.