Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
10 year old BMW 330i, currently 0.4% of NW. A car is an expense and an asset. Why not count it as part of your NW? I certainly don't count it as an investment or part of a portfolio.
This really depends on the car IMHO. My 67 Shelby GT 500 gets no mention and I think of it as an asset. My 2009 Subaru is thought of as an expense, if I ever sell it the money will give me a few bucks that will go into another car that will start depreciating by the time it gets home. I think it is really such a small number for most folks on here they probably don't give a lot of thought to it (I could be wrong, never assume anything), It is fun to read what others think though...............
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three vehicles for the two of us... 1997 small Ford pickup, 2001 Chevy mega-SUV, and DW's 2006 BMW. Per KBB, their combined value is about 0.7% of NW, and that's probably generous. The first two are at 160K miles and going strong. The latter is a money pit but DW refuses to give it up.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
A post like this on this board is likely to trigger an intervention

On the other hand my wife is online looking at a $118K Mercedes RV right now, so I might need an intervention of my own
We have one of those 100K RVs. After six years it is now valued about half that. Some "net" worth, huh?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
We have one of those 100K RVs. After six years it is now valued about half that. Some "net" worth, huh?
We would love a really nice new class B (we have no rec. vehicle) but your quote is exactly one of the main reasons we don't even go looking any more.....
Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well over $100K in family vehicles and not even considered in NW....
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #46
gone traveling

OP here.

Our 2 cars are about 0.3%-0.4% of our NW. I am surprised how many people are sub 1%.

Once retired we will scale it down to 1 car and sub 0.2%.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
We would love a really nice new class B (we have no rec. vehicle) but your quote is exactly one of the main reasons we don't even go looking any more.....
Then buy a used one.

I, on the other hand, feel that I have gotten my money's worth (the depreciation) during the 150,000 miles we have put on it. We have been to every State at least once and most National/State Parks. We could not have done that without expense of some kind. My guess is the RV reduced that outlay about 2/3s by saving on (M)Hotel/restaurant cost.

(And, FWIW, I could most likely put another 150K miles on it without major cost before divesting.)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

$0. I don't count my car as part of my net worth.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Then buy a used one.

I, on the other hand, feel that I have gotten my money's worth (the depreciation) during the 150,000 miles we have put on it. We have been to every State at least once and most National/State Parks. We could not have done that without expense of some kind. My guess is the RV reduced that outlay about 2/3s by saving on (M)Hotel/restaurant cost.

(And, FWIW, I could most likely put another 150K miles on it without major cost before divesting.)

Okay, you have convinced me to at least take a peek!!!!!! Thank you, I think.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Okay, you have convinced me to at least take a peek!!!!!! Thank you, I think.
You won't regret it.

Oh! I do have one caution: If the both (or either one) of you have an issue with "personal space," then a Class B will definitely be challenging. However, if you enjoy each other's company, then this is a big plus.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Then buy a used one.

It is spending money on experience (even though it is a vehicle)....good thing to spend money on IMO
Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You won't regret it.

Oh! I do have one caution: If the both (or either one) of you have an issue with "personal space," then a Class B will definitely be challenging. However, if you enjoy each other's company, then this is a big plus.
Thanks and no problem there, we worked and lived together for over 30 years, we are good!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

.3% Have a 10 yo Jaguar with only 46000 miles. Plan to keep a few more years
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #54

0.6%. Two Japaneese cars with about 100K miles each.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I am a bit surprised by the numbers significantly below 1% -- for those people who own vehicles. Either you have a huge net worth or the vehicles are really beaters.

For example, with the proverbial $1 million net worth some numbers I saw thrown around:

.2% - $2000
.3% - $3000
.6% - $6000
1% - $10000
.013% - $130 !!!!

I personally wouldn't feel safe driving a car that was a real beater. There have been huge safety improvements in cars over the last 10 years or so and my safety is important to me.

I don't consider vehicles as a significant part of my net worth but I want something safe and that I enjoy driving.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Either you have a huge net worth or the vehicles are really beaters.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

But seriously, economy cars can be worth less than 10k in a pretty short time. It doesn't have to be a beater to be worth less than that (to use your example).
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
0.6%. Two Japaneese cars with about 100K miles each.
Two 4 year old Honda Civics with 100k each are probably worth 12k combined.

That is 0.6% from 2 Million dollar NW.....which is not unusual sum of money.

Those are safe cars IMO
Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in my second midlife crisis....(not disclosing, but happy).
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

About 0.7% for my 7-year-old Corolla which has 26k miles. When I bought it new, that value was about 2% of NW. But NW has risen (not surprisingly) while the car's value has fallen (not surprisginly).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Two 4 year old Honda Civics with 100k each are probably worth 12k combined.

That is 0.6% from 2 Million dollar NW.....which is not unusual sum of money.

Those are safe cars IMO
I wouldn't prefer to drive one from a safety standpoint. In their weight class of cars, I do think they are safer than others. But, I don't like that weight class of cars. They also don't have many of the more advanced safety features.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote