Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
I do a net worth report in January when I do the taxes. Sometimes, during the year, I'll update it if there have been significant changes in our situation.

dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #42
Monthly, in a spreadsheet.

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
From 4/15/2010 forward I just check on the 15th and the last day of the month. This has saved my sanity.

Checking each day was brutal during the great recession.

I have a notebook with all the numbers from 10/28/2002 to 4/15/2010 and those are daily numbers. Before I retired I had just my 401k with 90% of my savings along with a small taxable account and Roth both at Vanguard. Each morning when I went to work the 1st thing I'd do is check my 401k's performance for the prior day. There were many days before I retired that my 401k would increase by $8-10k for the prior day, those were great days. Then there were days where it decreased by $8-10k for the prior day, those were hard days. I don't want to even think about 2008-2009, I'm still traumatized by that time period.

Yes checking just twice a month saved my sanity.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I record my net worth (taxable, sheltered, property) and get an annuity quote (tracking annuitization hurdle) quarterly. I also summarize wages (none any more), income and taxes (federal, state & local) annually. Enough to meet my needs...
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #46
I update a spreadsheet weekly for the investment accounts. Things like checking, savings and CD's get updated when the statement arrives.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
I update a spreadsheet about every month and have been doing so for the last 10 years. It's nice to generate charts and graphs to see how things progess over time. Dollar cost averaging into weak markets over the last 10 years has paid off nicely.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado
I track investments on a homemade spreadsheet whenever I log into my accounts, however I only "count" net worth Jan 1st of each year with a personal annual statement that i print. Been doing it for 15 years. As the portfolio gets bigger, then the swings get larger $-wise...but that is the way it has to be.

I am probably over-documenting because I plan on using it to teach my kids and grand kids.
UnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #49
I update my spreadsheet once a month.
Budgeting is a skill practised by people who are bad at politics.
traineeinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets
Have been Calculating net worth every quarter since 1994, started right after I read Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez. I did try every month for awhile, but found it to be TMI a little too often. Plan to FiRe in December 2013 at age 59 and feel very good with how things have worked out
healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Since I use Microsoft Money, ...
But Microsoft Money's gone, no?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
(Albert Einstein)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado
I use Gnu Cash to track income and expenses. I didn't set it up to get stock quotes, so it doesn't show the current value of investments. I track the current value of my investments in a spreadsheet when I get the monthly statements. So, you could say that I track my net worth monthly.
longinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #53
I like to check accounts daily. I have the time and I want to see how the market swings affect the totals and the individual investments. Plus I want to know if anything seems out of kilter.
The last couple of months I have noticed the lack of volatility which is nice. Yes daily large drops are hard to swallow but large daily upswings make up for that. It's just something I like to do.
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus
Our finances are very simple and we don't use software other than TurboTax every April, so we really don't track our net worth--I always know what our investments are doing (it's just a habit to go online and check Vanguard after the close of business every day), what's in the bank, etc., and we could toss in the assumed value of the other assets to top that off for a ballpark number, but we don't really have a reason to.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets
Still working/accumulating but getting very near to retirement.

I update a net worth spreadsheet on an almost daily basis, using linked online accounts. Daily values are overwritten with each update. Some items are manually updated with less frequency (e.g. estimate of home value, pension value, etc.) In that spreadsheet, I only keep a historic record of year-end values.

With each update from the net worth spreadsheet I also compute an estimated "potential retirement income" based on a SWR from that day's account values (using only those that will be used for income) plus pension income that would be available if I were to retire at the end of that month. This current potential retirement income is recorded and plotted as a line graph in a second spreadsheet (showing daily data and a trend line).

The annual net worth values provide a record of long-term progress.
The projected income graph gives a visual sense of both long term progress and short term market gyrations as related income, but the gyrations are damped considerably by the steady contribution of the pension.

As others have mentioned, watching this daily tends to inure one to the short-term dips; it's still nice to see the upward bumps and trends; and it *can* be a bit unnerving during the prolonged or more severe downdrafts. The longer the tracking, however, the longer the downdrafts that can be looked upon as dips. I think of it as dress rehearsal/conditioning for the time when we will be living off that projected income (and I hope bulling through underlying market gyrations with equanimity).
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #56
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I do it whenever W2R says "Wheee!".

Then I feel good until the market drops again.
So, your excitement lasts for about 1 day?
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #57
Same here. I have little interest in my actual NW. Income stream is much more important.
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I suppose I could pretty easily do it more often but I am more interested in the investment income stream number and not so much interested in a net worth number.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #58
Monthly in a spreadsheet.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets
I always have a little speedbump when trying to do an estimate --- as in the value of annuities x 3

Like many folks just say

1. 401k balance
+ 2. home equity
+ 3. investment balance
= net worth

But by and large I would say that the value of my military retirement that starts @ 60y.o. and Federal pension (39yrs at retirement age 57) and SS @ 62 by and far are worth more to me than the 3 from that list.

So how do I value those when doing a networth estimate?

I mean even if I die the Survisor Benefit plans will pay my spouse 50% on the Fed retirement and Mil. retirement
USAF Veteran -- Retired Air National Guard -- OSW -- ONW -- OIF
militaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #60
I use Quicken and update daily, so all my stuff is staring at me most of the day. I like Quicken as a security backup, any transactions I don't know about, I ask Ms G about. If Ms G hasn't a clue I am on the phone asking my financial institution. I get transactions overnight everyday in the morning, those suckers can't get a phony charge past old grasshopper.

For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote