How often do you calculate your net worth?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Excluding real estate, how often do you track your net worth? Includes all investments, stocks, funds, bonds, bank accounts, etc. I formally track mine every three months, but I do check on some values more often.

I use Quicken to track my investments and download quotes daily. Since Quicken automatically updates my net worth every time I download quotes, it would technically make it daily for me!:p

On my net worth tracking spreadsheet, however, I calculate my net worth once a month, on the 15th (I have been doing that for almost 12 years now).

I print my statements monthly and keep them in a three ring binder. The cover sheet is a consolidated worksheet that show net worth.

I visit Mint.com a couple of times a week and it is automatically calculated for me.

If I'm doing everything right, Quicken thinks my net worth is $0. That's because I use a double-entry method that balances all assets with a budget "liability", even if that's just retirement savings. I can generate a net worth report. I usually look at it if I think it might be at a new high or low. Maybe once a year to once a quarter.

Monthly, been doing it for about 20 years. I think it contributed greatly to my ER. I had figured what I needed to retire and calculating in monthly helped keep me on track. Interestingly the amount I ended up with at 55 was within 50K of what I thought I would need when I got there. Maybe I should have shot for higher.

Another Quicken user here... so it updates every time I update quotes.
It's not daily for me because I don't run quicken daily.... life gets in the way (darn J*b and kid$!!!) But I update once a week, typically, when I'm paying bills.

I use Fidelity's "full view" once a month but I also use Quicken whenever I update quotes or download transactions.

I update my net worth spreedsheet on monthly basis. I started doing it about 10 yeras ago. It helped me with my decision to retire earlier this year.

Hubby uses wikinvest for most of our data so we can see it whenever, but we save and track the numbers on a monthly basis (15th of each month). It's pretty awesome to see our money grow.

I do it whenever W2R says "Wheee!".

Then I feel good until the market drops again.

I track all my financial accounts in Moneydance, and it always shows a Net Worth figure at the top of the home page.

Beyond that, I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my investments for asset allocation purposes, and that gets updated most weekends but always at the end of each month.

I update a spreadsheet on the last day of the month. It contains only balances. Most of the fund investment data (since1990) comes from Vanguard. After parsing the data into named cells, I get a quick look at how far I am deviating from desired AA.

Daily, via Yodlee...

Nothing to do, it's all automatic.

BTW, it includes the value of our RE by importing current info from Zillow. While it may not be totally accurate, it's good enough to get an overall "estate" net worth.

As far as only investments? That's tracked via FIDO's FullView product, which is ported directly to their Retirement Income Planner (RIP) forecast tool, and is also run daily (heck, I'm retired - I have the 10 minutes to do it :LOL: )...

Last edited:
All my bank, investment, and credit card accounts update and post to Quicken and I run a net worth report each quarter or whenever I feel like it.

Excluding real estate, how often do you track your net worth? Includes all investments, stocks, funds, bonds, bank accounts, etc. I formally track mine every three months, but I do check on some values more often.

+1

While I monitor my banking and mutual fund investments (taxable and Rollover IRA) every day since I added online access to those accounts in the last few years, I record the actual balances once a month since I ERed. When I was still working, I recorded the actual 401(k) balance once every 3 months when the quarterly statement came out. I get a statement for my Rollover IRA every month now. I use my monthly bank statement to record its balance which is around the 14th of the month.

December 31st and June 30th. I suppose I could pretty easily do it more often but I am more interested in the investment income stream number and not so much interested in a net worth number.

Thanks for all the replies so far. A question for the folks who track their net worth daily. How do you avoid getting carried away by the daily fluctuations? You could conceivably gain or lose thousands in a day.

Calculate? Never. Gross estimate? Maybe once a year.

I am going to do a plus 1/2.... I can not go a +1 since I actually have done a calculation a few times in life...

I rarely calculate my net worth... but I do look at my Vanguard accounts all the time and I have input a number of my other investments... I update them when it feels like they are off...

But, I do not have all of my accounts listed... and I do not have any of my DWs separate property listed...

All I am looking for is a 'feel' of what is happening.... and to make any adjustments if needed....

Thanks for all the replies so far. A question for the folks who track their net worth daily. How do you avoid getting carried away by the daily fluctuations? You could conceivably gain or lose thousands in a day.

After watching daily fluctuations for a while, you become numb to them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom