How to survive a zombie economy

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How To Survive a 'Zombie Economy' - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

But there are ways to ride the zombie, and Japan has shown us how. With interest rates painfully low and stocks volatile, investors should look for dividend-paying stocks and high-quality bonds. Consumers should keep paying down debt and resist any additional debt if possible. Tempting as it might be to replace an aging car or out-of-style appliance, it's okay to wait. Prices are unlikely to rise by much, and might even fall. Home prices in particular seem likely to keep falling, at least into 2011. And lenders might become more permissive over the next year or two, as they slowly improve their own financial health.

Job seekers should develop every new skill they can, since employers these days are looking for people with two or even three distinct skill sets. Even if the U.S. experience amounts to Japan Lite, the job market will stay tough. People need to go where the jobs are and prove why they're worth investing in during slack times. It doesn't hurt to have a secondary source of income, since raises are likely to be scarce.

Nothing new, just keep your head down and your powder dry.

Good article. Thanks for posting the link.

So what countries economies are doing the best right now? Maybe international investments are something to look at if the article author is correct and the U.S. economy will be going nowhere fast for the next few years.

I read the title "Zombie economy" and thought, yeah, better stock up on brains, since that's what zombies like to eat, right?

But, what would zombies use for currency? Barter?

Actually, Canada is doing pretty well right now. Their housing market did not collapse quite as bad as ours (but I still think it is a bubble).

My equities have always been 50/50 US/foreign. It has worked out well for me.

(I am also working in Canada while DW works in the US. More diversification. :D)

I've had a large portion of my investments in foreign as well and was thinking of pulling back, but maybe I'll keep some there for the time being.

With interest rates painfully low and stocks volatile, investors should look for dividend-paying stocks and high-quality bonds. Consumers should keep paying down debt and resist any additional debt if possible. Tempting as it might be to replace an aging car or out-of-style appliance, it's okay to wait. Prices are unlikely to rise by much, and might even fall. Home prices in particular seem likely to keep falling, at least into 2011. And lenders might become more permissive over the next year or two, as they slowly improve their own financial health.

This is the scary part. It seems great because things will get cheaper, but OTOH such situation puts further pressure on wages...Deflation is as scary as high inflation.

Actually, Canada is doing pretty well right now. Their housing market did not collapse quite as bad as ours (but I still think it is a bubble).

My equities have always been 50/50 US/foreign. It has worked out well for me.

(I am also working in Canada while DW works in the US. More diversification. :D)

Canada is/will be a good investment in the future - commodities and a responsible government.

http://www.thezombiechronicles.com/
Soon to be a movie - I like zombie stories - not the fast zombies; that is just stupid - how can you be faster in death than in life, crazy.

This is the scary part. It seems great because things will get cheaper, but OTOH such situation puts further pressure on wages...Deflation is as scary as high inflation.
What's even worse is deflation in asset values and wages and inflation in the items of necessity like food, energy and health care. And unfortunately, that's what we have today, the mother of all double whammies.

In other words, "everything I own is declining in price and everything I consume is rising in price." Not a good combination at all.

I thought this would be a thread about which ammo to use on zombies and the best price to buy it at.

economist+house+price+indicators4.png

Canada is/will be a good investment in the future - commodities and a responsible government.
"Peace, order and good government", as section 91 of the Constitution Act, 1867 has it. ;)

"Peace, order and good government", as section 91 of the Constitution Act, 1867 has it. ;)

Norway might be good also.

Canada certainly did have a big housing bubble in the late 1980's. There is currently quite a lot of debate regarding whether we have one now: see CBC News - Should Canada fear housing bubble trouble?

If you own your home free and clear, and don't speculate with rental properties etc., such issues are largely of academic interest.

Is returning to sane valuations really a housing crash?

This whole panic to restore house prices to their former levels is only to help the banks including Fannie and Freddie, China, and to a lesser extent realtors, home builders, illegal alien laborers, municipal taxing authorities, and sellers who plan to permanently leave the market. Lower prices are a wash for those sellers who will buy another home, and a meaningful gain for new buyers. More garden variety cronysim and spin.

ha

Canada certainly did have a big housing bubble in the late 1980's. There is currently quite a lot of debate regarding whether we have one now: see CBC News - Should Canada fear housing bubble trouble?

If you own your home free and clear, and don't speculate with rental properties etc., such issues are largely of academic interest.

I think it is a bubble. With a country that large, there is no reason for housing to be expensive. The difference is that it isn't being propped up by a creative housing industry and a supportive government.

A huge amount of housing in Calgary and Fort Mac, AB, and Surrey, BC, is exactly that: speculation with rental properties. From what I can tell, mostly owned by immigrants. Some of the goofiest properties I have seen (huge, million dollar houses built on flood plains in the middle of blueberry fields!) are owned by immigrants. I worked with newcomers in Calgary who thought that was a bullet-proof investment. One guy wanted my opinion about buying distressed property in Las Vegas. I told him it was a bad idea. I hope he listened. When employment collapsed, housing collapsed, too.

I'm starting to think we need a new forum category called "The Sky Is Falling." :)

I'd vote for "Self-fulfilling Prophecy Scenarios"

(might give it a little more sophistication) ;)

http://www.thezombiechronicles.com/
Soon to be a movie - I like zombie stories - not the fast zombies; that is just stupid - how can you be faster in death than in life, crazy.

It's rigor mortis that makes them slow, and that fades after about 72 hours. So that's why they are fast. As far as being faster in undeath than life, they don't feel muscle fatigue or lack of oxygen, so they can move pretty damn fast, for a while at least. Not that I sit around thinking about stuff like this, but the recent influx of fast zombies needs some study and explanation. ;)

It's rigor mortis that makes them slow, and that fades after about 72 hours. So that's why they are fast. As far as being faster in undeath than life, they don't feel muscle fatigue or lack of oxygen, so they can move pretty damn fast, for a while at least. Not that I sit around thinking about stuff like this, but the recent influx of fast zombies needs some study and explanation. ;)

I can buy into most of that, except for the underlined part. I would agree with that if the result was endurance. My understanding is that speed has to do with fast and slow twitch muscles. But, I don't see how you could be faster in death than you were in life.

I think there is/was a study funded by TARP or the 700B stimulus program on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom