How to Tell if You Are Wealthy

I am reminded of a conversation with our neighbor. She said: "You know $15 million does not go as far as it used, especially if you have to maintain a yacht and several homes..." and I said that I agreed and that that was why we had gotten rid of our boat (18 foot fiberglass runabout) and only rented one of our 2 places.

But then they have to maintain their kids in a lifestyle that they could not afford when they were young. We chose to let our kids make their own way after graduation.

Rustic23 said:
Well, here is how I see the crop for avatar.

Yep, just had to do it!:)

You beat me to it. Guess I shouldn't use the word "beat."

... have to maintain a yacht and several homes...

I like that phrasing. Such troubles the wealthy have. Forced to purchase and maintain so many things... Must be hell.
:LOL:

I used to get paid to live like that, including logging their operating parameters...

And I'll bet you were wearing a uniform while logging those parameters. Paid to cruise on a boat, and saving money on clothes to. Very frugal, Nords!:ROFLMAO:

I used to get paid to live like that, including logging their operating parameters...

A wonderful benefit.
Similarly, I used to get paid to travel by air to places [-]nobody in their right mind[/-] few people [-]would ever want to see[/-] had the opportunity to visit.

One of the things that encouraged me to retire was that Mega-Corp had felt it worthwhile to send me to the Caribbean on a private jet. Would it get better?

One of the things that encouraged me to retire was that Mega-Corp had felt it worthwhile to send me to the Caribbean on a private jet. Would it get better?
Depends-- how did you find your way back?

Related experience. I was invited to attend a private executive briefing by Storagetek in their private jet. Picked up me and 2 others then stopped 2000 miles away to pick up another of our tribe before heading for Boulder CO.

It did not encourage me to retire but it prevented me from losing my shirt on their stock!

(Since acquired by Sun who was acquired by Oracle.)

Here's another measure:

You're rich (enough) if you earn more than your wife's sister's husband.

I knew I was doing pretty well when I started spending more on hotels when I was on vacation than my employer allowed when I travelled for business.

I knew I was doing pretty well when I started spending more on hotels when I was on vacation than my employer allowed when I travelled for business.
By that criteria I was one of the world's wealthiest ensigns... but I guess that's relative to the employer's reimbursement rate!

Back
Top Bottom