Humorous article on reaching a million bucks.

Sorry to burst your skeptical bubbles, but we had a savings rate of $10k+ / month, for many years.

Whose bubble are you bursting? I didn't see anyone claiming it was impossible to increase wealth at that rate with a very high savings rate, I just saw some skepticism about the numbers in this particular blog.

This dude has a graph showing the delta between (assuming gross) income and expenses, he was never earning anywhere close to $10k per month much less saving it.

Sorry to burst your skeptical bubbles, but we had a savings rate of $10k+ / month, for many years.

This is very doable if you have a good job, large savings rate for many years...and ...the returns of the past 5 years.

This allowed us to do just what he's talking about at ages 41 & 47 and living below 1% SWR here in Mexico on our savings and a little online w*rk, 20 hrs / month. Starting on our 4th year down here.

Your math and story is very believable. His math and story, not so much.

I didn't check the numbers or math, but it's generally believable. We went from investments of $240,000 on 3/31/2009 to $1.2 million on 3/31/2014. Almost $1 million growth in invested assets ($439k of the growth was investment contributions by us). That's on a salary that peaked at a combined $141k in 2013 (the year I FIREd) and paying for 3 kids (2 kids prior to 2012).

The $1 million mark was generally uneventful. I think DW and I smiled, had a beer or maybe cracked open a $4 bottle of champagne and watched a TV show after the kids went to bed. It's not like we were going to spend much of that $1 million in any given year (even after FIRE).

Maybe he's leaving out some things like employer contributions?

He states he had 120k in 2009 and based on his income/expense chart only put in an additional 220k after that.

I don't see hitting 1M on that in index funds but I tend to be skeptical of all self reported numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom