Join Early Retirement Today

I am what I do
Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I am what I do

Just encountered another example today of someone who defines himself and his self worth by his job title. This person will never retire for fear of losing his identity. Throughout my career I have viewed my job as something that I do, not who I am.

Is it just me or have others run into this personality type as well?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I am what I do
Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never cared what my title was. I did care what my salary was.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
Just encountered another example today of someone who defines himself and his self worth by his job title. This person will never retire for fear of losing his identity.
I think one of the best examples of this syndrome is the senior officer corps of the military. All Most Many 06's (Colonel or Navy Captain) and above maintain their identity even after retirement. It's tough when people no longer physically snap to attention when you walk into a room...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My favorite is ex-professional athletes. "Mr. Home Run Champ" "Mr. Most Yards Gained" Pathetic. When the job - professional athlete - is gone, the title needs to be gone. What are you doing now?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
My favorite is ex-professional athletes.
Oooh, Al Bundy wants to have a chat with you!

Some seem to be the exception to that rule-- David Robinson. Roger Staubach. Eddie Meyers. Napoleon McCallum. William Perry. Willie Stargell. Magic Johnson. Bill Russell. That's off the top of my head, although a few more come to mind (Terry Bradshaw, John Madden) who'll never give it up. Business Week ran a profile a few issues ago about professional golfers who've made the transition to business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I think one of the best examples of this syndrome is the senior officer corps of the military.
I'll second that.

Also many doctors and "retired" CEOs.

And, Martha's ER notwithstanding, I'm not sure that lawyers have any incentive to stop practicing.

Then there's musicians, although I have to admit that their line between "work" and "play" is pretty fuzzy.

Haven't made up my mind about professional surfers. I'm not sure that they're "work"ing in the first place...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Oooh, Al Bundy wants to have a chat with you!
Great example!* Yep, when I see some worn out athlete still out there trying to book speaking engagements on their "past glory" I'll think of our mutual buddy Al Bundy.* Four touchdowns in one game!* Go Polk High! Oh wait......I'm a shoe salesman now........
Old 04-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Great example!* Yep, when I see some worn out athlete still out there trying to book speaking engagements on their "past glory" I'll think of our mutual buddy Al Bundy.* Four touchdowns in one game!* Go Polk High!
The inside joke of that character is that before he picked up his SAG card, Ed O'Neill played college ball and was actually signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He claims he was third string behind some other losers (Terry Hanratty, then Terry Bradshaw) and was cut by the team shortly after being signed.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ed O'Neill played college ball and was actually signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers.*
You keep talking about Ed O'Neill and I keep thinking about Chirstina Applegate.* *:
Old 04-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #9

Don't forget Bill Clinton. He was in my sleepy small Canadian town a few weeks ago and the combined audience was willing to cough up an aggregiate $150,000.

BTW, I have nothing against him but I don't think that listening to him is worth $150 of my hard earned cash.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:01 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Although... I think there may be a way to see Bill Clinton speak for free....
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill
Just encountered another example today of someone who defines himself and his self worth by his job title. This person will never retire for fear of losing his identity.* Throughout my career I have viewed my job as something that I do, not who I am.
I think there is an extremely strong cultural bias towards defining someone by the work that they do. Some people buy that idea hook, line and sinker. See it all the time. Sometimes I think it's 'cause they work so much they lose their identity.

Audrey
Old 04-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

thats why when asked my profession today will be "nuclear scientist...yesterday i was an fbi agent and last week a test pilot.....

i also got a phd pretty huge oooppps forget that one!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere
Although... I think there may be a way to see Bill Clinton speak for free....
I assume you're not talking Milk Bones here.

Quote:

And, Martha's ER notwithstanding, I'm not sure that lawyers have any incentive to stop practicing.
Or any to keep going either. I sure don't miss it.

setab
Old 04-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #14

I think there is a slightly more positive version of "what I do", my wife is a teacher, loves it. She will be retiring in 11 more working days. Then she wil be volunteering for nothing what she gets very little now, except she loves teaching. Even on vacation to Fiji & remote places she visits local schools and makes friends. I think there are some doctors and artists like this too. Maybe the questions could be do you "do" what you "are"?
Old 04-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Maybe the questions could be do you "do" what you "are"?
When I retired I had to turn in all my weapons and really cut back on the killing people/breaking things routine.

Except in tae kwon do.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
My favorite is ex-professional athletes.* "Mr. Home Run Champ"* "Mr. Most Yards Gained"* Pathetic.* When the* job - professional athlete - is gone, the title needs to be gone.* What are you doing now?

I'm playing a lot of golf, and fly-fish occasionally.

And also wasting a lot of everyone's time when the weather doesn't co-operate by posting mostly "pithy" comments to a captive audience. (Hard to beat the variety of personality and experiences avaliable here).

Regards, Jarhead

Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #17

When anyone used to ask me the short "What do you do", I used to answer that "I am a Fly Fisherman".

Still am. 8)
Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

I'm playing a lot of golf, and fly-fish occasionally.

And also wasting a lot of everyone's time when the weather doesn't co-operate by posting mostly "pithy" comments to a captive audience. (Hard to beat the variety of personality and experiences avaliable here).

Regards, Jarhead

Infielder or Outfielder?