I cannot express how.....

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Thankful I am to have prepared for FIRE and blessed that the plan is coming together.

I have w*rked my butt off and saved over the last 35+ years.

Being able to FIRE while still relatively young and healthy is a fabulous feeling.

:D

Now all I have to do is tolerate w*rk a few more months.

How many of you had a short-timer's calendar? I am diligently marking off the days!

Eight working days left for me Chinaco. It's kind of funny because even though I'm aware of it, I don't really feel any different. Until I got to single digits I would have to think about it when someone at work asked. I am however anticipating waking up on March 1 and realizing I'm free to do whatever I want for the rest of my life. It feels like the first time I jumped off the high diving board. I hope once I jump I get the same thrill.

I hit 75 days left last Friday, though I will probably extend one month now (I just found out I am eligible for another quarterly bonus if I do so) - in which case a little over 100 work days...it's going slow so far.

And why aren't you on the Class of 2011 string chinaco?

How many of you had a short-timer's calendar? I am diligently marking off the days!

I had a retirement countdown clock that I wisely kept at home. Once it hit the "0 days left" I gave it to a friend who was next in line to retire.

Congratulations! You've managed to get "Just one more year" down to "Just one more month"... :)
$18-22K for a months work seemed worth it...

July 1 2011...

I'm obsessively counting milestones and scribbling hash marks on business calanders. I'm a double-digit midget on Monday. Speaking of Mondays, 20 remaining.

Thankful I am to have prepared for FIRE and blessed that the plan is coming together.

Being able to FIRE while still relatively young and healthy is a fabulous feeling.

:D

Now all I have to do is tolerate w*rk a few more months.

Short Timers Calender. Freeware TimeLeft - Free clock, reminder, countdown, stopwatch, timer, sticker, auction watch and time synchronization utility using Winamp skins to show digits and text.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 33
I am using Outlook to tell me each time I knock off another 10 days - that is, Outlook at work...:whistle:

cool! when i decided to fire it was 3 months ahead of my final date as i had to notify the people that handle pensions 90 days in advance. i was bursting at the seams and wish i knew about this site to talk about it. i did not tell anyone in work and it was tough.

This is exactly what DH and I did. He's joining me in retirement March 1st. Funny how many people look at us and say "how can you retire so early?" It's not rocket science.

Oh, I did have a kind of countdown calendar in my office before I flew the coop. Just a little post-it note by my computer with the the number of days left written on it. No one even noticed but it gave me strength. :D

Congrats to all those who soon be pulling the plug!

Even though my portfolio suggests that we can ER now at 2% SWR, we like to build up an additional margin for a few more years or at least my younger DD graduates from college in 4 years.

During my last couple of years I had to complete an Excel spreadsheet and turn it in every week to book all my time against projects etc. I had a non-printing cell that calculated the number of days left so I saw it 2 or 3 times a day as I booked my time.

I retired almost exactly 11 years ago. I must admit I cannot even remember the details of how miserable that grind was. It only gets better. You have much to look forward to. Congratulations!

My husband hates Mondays-- his countdown is now "8 more Mondays" when asked how long yet....

I'm a bit further out - hopefully in the last 12 months, but I'm already thinking about some of the things I need to do as the last time I'll be doing it if I go on at the early end of the schedule - for example, I've just done my last pro-bono report and last month I did the last year end financial review for the accounts I manage.

2 working half-days left. I'm down to single digit hours!

If I quit laughing long enough, I might be able to decide which of these answers I like the best....

I am using Outlook to tell me each time I knock off another 10 days - that is, Outlook at work...:whistle:

During my last couple of years I had to complete an Excel spreadsheet and turn it in every week to book all my time against projects etc. I had a non-printing cell that calculated the number of days left so I saw it 2 or 3 times a day as I booked my time.

23 months left, so too long to do a countdown calendar yet. I sure wish I was closer...

$18-22K for a months work seemed worth it...

Definitely reasonable. When DH was retiring last year we found that he had to do some fine tuning to determine the optimum financial time to retire. First, he needed to retire after the first quarter (that made a huge difference for a bonus), then he worked out it had to be after May 1st so that he had another year of service for his pension. He was all set to retire in May but then found out that if he retired after June 1 he would be paid not only his unused paid time off for that year but half of it for this year as well.

So he was going to retire sometime in June. But then his boss wanted his help on something and asked him to retire in July. DH was willing to do it but found out that his pension lump sum would be $8000 less if he retired in July instead of June (go figure).

So with all that he ended up retiring in late June which was the absolute moment of maximum financial benefit. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom