i did it , first day retired

mathjak107

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
as of last night i am now officially a retiree. i am unemployed for the first time.

now i get to stop waking up at 2:00 am and thinking about all the stresses of work and shift over to stressing about whether markets will have a deep long downturn right at my start.

you can't win ha ha ha

as of last night i am now officially a retiree. i am unemployed for the first time.

now i get to stop waking up at 2:00 am and thinking about all the stresses of work and shift over to stressing about whether markets will have a deep long downturn right at my start.

you can't win ha ha ha

congrats! Life 2.0 is beginning....only reason I'm up this early (4:50am) is to wait for coffee to brew, grab a cup and my fishing rod and go catch some white bass....

Congrats. Just remember despite what it says on the forum, you really don't get paid by the post.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations! Just remember to enjoy every day of it, starting today. I just entered my 28th year of retirement and don't know where the time went. I just know it went quickly.

Congrats Mathjak. You have been posting long enough that I just assumed you ERd long ago. Here is hoping that prep time will insure smooth sailing over the next 30 years.

What about back in 2010?

i lost my job back then , that was not an intended retirement . the bad news was i was employed again by the weeks end and back to work , officially called it quits on my own terms yesterday .

Congratulations! Here is to Not Having A Schedule!!! Enjoy.

Congrats!!! So which Fidelity Insights model are you using in retirement?

funny you asked. none. changed last month .

the reason being that i was running two model portfolio's together .

the growth and income model was about 70% equity's , the capital preservation model about 30%.

the problem was it had to much over lap of the same bond funds and at this point i did not want so much in intermediate term bonds so i went to my own model i put together .

it uses a combo of actively managed funds and etf's and about a 50/50 mix.

the version as it stands now :

fidelity growth and income fund FDGRX - held this for many many years now .

fidelity blue chip growth FBGRX- had this for many years now

vanguard total market index vti

vanguard extended market index vxf etf

vanguard veu all world index etf

that is the equity side.

the bond side uses

vanguard admiral total bond fund (now only 10% of the portfolio)

fidelity floating rate high yield

vanguard bsv short term bond

vanguard vtip short term inflation proof bond etf

Last edited:
Excellent! Welcome to the best job you never had.

funny you asked. none. changed last month .

the reason being that i was running two model portfolio's together .

the growth and income model was about 70% equity's , the capital preservation model about 30%.

the problem was it had to much over lap of the same bond funds and at this point i did not want so much in intermediate term bonds so i went to my own model i put together .

it uses a combo of actively managed funds and etf's and about a 50/50 mix.

the version as it stands now :

fidelity growth and income fund FDGRX - held this for many many years now .

fidelity blue chip growth FBGRX- had this for many years now

vanguard total market index vti

vanguard extended market index vxf etf

vanguard veu all world index etf

that is the equity side.

the bond side uses

vanguard admiral total bond fund (now only 10% of the portfolio)

fidelity floating rate high yield

vanguard bsv short term bond

vanguard vtip short term inflation proof bond etf

That looks good, any reason you went with Vanguard Total Bond over Fidelity Total Bond, except for cost?

i already had money in vanguards total bond fund which was my only holding at vanguard so i kept it .

i do prefer the fidelity one . performance is better. when i had a larger position in total bond i had both . but it was easier to keep what was in vanguard since it was only 10% now of the portfolio .

if it was more i would have worked it out so i used the fidelity one more .

Last edited:
It's time for you to roll over and go back to bed. You don't have any set schedule as a retiree--the nicest thing about retirement.

And don't worry about your investment portfolio--or anything that's out of your control. It'll all work out well in the long run if you're in a diversified group of assets.

I'm getting ready to go out on the lake on my Waverunner for an hour or two. The weather's great today and the lake's like glass.

we are photographers so we are headed out to one of the beautiful botanical gardens in long island

Back
Top Bottom