Ideas for Broadband Connection???

I worked for a gas and power company for several years - asked if they had considered offering internet access. They were not interested due to the Enron scandal and were sticking to their core business.

I have checked out Clearwire - they are advertising quite a bit in the Puget Sound area. I'm not sure if there is coverage on the island, but it won't hurt to check. I understand that they are about to be bought (no big surprise considering it's a Craig McCaw venture).

I will probably try calling Comcast again....what a game!

Ours is a mobile, automatic system, up on the roof, that finds the satellite by itself. Normally, it takes it about a minute, sometimes two. It finds the satellite quickly. The system has a built in GPS, so when we stop and turn on the computer and tell the system "find satellite", it knows where we are and the software knows just where to look. But then it takes it a minute or so for the software system to fiddle with it trying to make sure it has the most solid signal. That fiddling is what takes the time. Just locking onto the satellite usually only takes it about 30 seconds.

We have friends with the manual satellite tripod systems. They are a LOT cheaper, but the day to day frustrations with getting the satellite when you are using it for a mobile application, we figured was a lot worse than the pain of writing one big check to avoid all those hours of frustration. Since we got ours back when they were first available, our system was really pricey, and costs have come down considerably since.

Most folks who get good with their manual systems can locate the satellite within twenty minutes or so, and of course, if someone were in a fixed based location where they would only have to find it once, not a big deal. But when you move sometimes constantly, and sometimes just want to run the dish up in a rest area somewhere to check your email, you don't want to fiddle with a manual satellite system if you can help it.

We were early adapters and got our system when they were first coming out. Our dish is from a Canadian company called C-Com in Ottawa Canada, and we get our service from Directway, (Hughesnet).

It's not as fast as DSL or some wireless systems because you do have the delay in the upload function to get the signal up to the satellite, although downloads are DSL speed. We generally have about five seconds between screens, and most of that is the upload signal.

It's been very reliable, though. And very good in adverse weather conditions. We chose C-Com because their platform was at the time the only one that was specifically designed for internet. The MotoSat platform, which was the only other one available at the time was originally designed for TV reception, so the tolerances and wiggle in the platform were more. When you are getting a TV signal, you're locking on to a signal that may, in the sky, be full moon sized, and for internet, you're looking at a signal that is about one and a quarter inches in diameter, in a big, big sky. The C-Com platform is incredibly stable and even in high winds, when the motorhome is moving, it stays locked onto the signal just fine.

We don't have any knowledge of WildBlue at all. The RVing folks we know mostly have MotoSat and DataStorm systems. We're the only ones we know with a C-Com system, as they don't do many residential type systems. Most of their business is commercial.....pipelines, trucking companies, etc.

Cost is pretty standard for the service, as most are using the Hughesnet satellite regardless of their platform. We pay $59.99 per month. I think our system cost about $5,500 in the beginning, although costs have come down quite a bit since then. Just part of the price premium for being an early adapter.

Hope this helps.....LooseChickens

Rattling comcasts cage works occasionally, but what you want is to be connected to the 'retention department', not the regular customer service people. Sometimes they'll put you through to retention to try and keep you, sometimes if you ask that works. Lately so many people have been trying it to get lower rates that they're just letting you cancel, figuring you'll change your mind before they actually pull the plug.

Sometimes the customer service guys tell you they ARE in the retention department, then tell you that you cant get a better price. I've heard that comcast also will not give a promo to someone two times in a row, so if you already got six months at a reduced price, they wont give it to you again when that expires, at least not for a while...this is something new, I used to get better rates all the time.

They do know where DSL is and isnt offered, it comes right up on their screen. So bluffing on that doesnt work. They dont know about smaller wireless companies, so you might try calling and saying "gee, i'd like to stay with comcast but this wireless outfit is offering me a decent speed package for $20 a month. Are there any customer retention deals that would bring my price down a little and make the decision to stay easy?"

Back
Top Bottom