Input From Tesla Owners?

Audrey,

Very nice installation. Did you use a 60 amp breaker and 4 gauge wire?

Yes, although we set the charger to 50 amp because we only have 70 amp coming into the breaker panel and we have another 20 amp outdoor circuit.

Does pressing the button on your charger handle open the charger port on the car? Mine does not seem to.

Yes, it does. Try a software restart?

My license plates came yesterday. I ordered a quick bandit front plate bracket since the one that comes with the car held on by tape worried me.

Our front plate is glued on and we aren’t worried because it’s extremely strong foam glued strips. A lot of surface area too.

I broke down and overcame my paranoia over blue tooth and location services so I could connect my phone as a key. So much to !earn with this car.

There was a red model Y parked next to my Acura at the bank yesterday. I started to ask the guy about license plates and found out he has had the car even less time than me. The red is very nice, better looking than my white. I thought red would be too flamboyant, but the Y looked good in red.
The red is bright, but it is not so loud as to lose elegance IMO. My favorite is in the shade where it has a rich cherry tone. We are really glad we chose red.

Last edited:
Restart the car? Or the charger?
The car.

When I go to a supercharger holding the charge plug button usually works, but occasionally does not. I don’t worry about it because it’s easy to press the charge port door.

When we were using the mobile connector at home, pressing the button almost always worked, very rare it did not.

So far so good with the wall charger, but I only plugged it in once. I think I did test the button a couple of more times though.

I haven’t reset/restarted the car because holding the button usually works. I suspect the car gets reset/restarted when new software update is completed. Who knows?

My new Model 3 does not have the nice button behind the charge port cover my Model X has which releases the cable when it's charging.

And my 3rd party charge box lacks the button on the cable.

I find fumbling with the app or leaning into the car to find the unlock on the screen to be cumbersome. So I am thinking about replacing the charger with a Tesla made one.

Anyone here who have other ideas? Can the Model 3 fob do this?

So, if the Dodge Charger introduces an EV version, will the charging unit be called “the charger charger”? And, if someone says “Dodge Charger” how will anyone know if they’re referring to the car or the charging unit?

It's best to dodge these kinds of questions.

My new Model 3 does not have the nice button behind the charge port cover my Model X has which releases the cable when it's charging.

And my 3rd party charge box lacks the button on the cable.

I find fumbling with the app or leaning into the car to find the unlock on the screen to be cumbersome. So I am thinking about replacing the charger with a Tesla made one.

Anyone here who have other ideas? Can the Model 3 fob do this?

It's best to dodge these kinds of questions.

Model X here so not the same. But I do not have a button to release the plug from the charge port on the car, it’s on the plug itself, and the car has to be unlocked to release. But in the US we don’t have the same charge port anyway and we are using the Tesla plug, not the CCS plug.

And my fob doesn’t control the charge port at all.

Sounds like you want a Tesla charger for convenience perhaps? Don’t know how they are made for the European market.

Last edited:
Model X here so not the same. But I do not have a button to release the plug from the charge port on the car, it’s on the plug itself, and the car has to be unlocked to release. But in the US we don’t have the same charge port anyway and we are using the Tesla plug, not the CCS plug.

And my fob doesn’t control the charge port at all.

Sounds like you want a Tesla charger for convenience perhaps? Don’t know how they are made for the European market.

Yes we get the Tesla charger over here. With a Tesla type 2 plug I think they are called. Plugs into half the CCs socket.

My home came with a 3rd party charger installed by the previous owner. And a replacement it will be mainly for convenience. Plus I like that the Tesla charger can have it's software updated online.

But I will look for other options first. Hacks or apps or something.

Yes we get the Tesla charger over here. With a Tesla type 2 plug I think they are called. Plugs into half the CCs socket.

My home came with a 3rd party charger installed by the previous owner. And a replacement it will be mainly for convenience. Plus I like that the Tesla charger can have it's software updated online.

But I will look for other options first. Hacks or apps or something.
Not sure I am following what you have, but your Tesla options are
- the wall charger https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector
- or the mobile connector (probably came with the M3, you may need an adapter) with a 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage - will charge 25-30 miles of range per hour charging. The standard 120V outlet works but it’s much to slow for most owners, about 3 miles per hour charging. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

Not sure I am following what you have, but your Tesla options are
- the wall charger https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector
- or the mobile connector (probably came with the M3, you may need an adapter) with a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage - will charge 25-30 miles of range per hour charging. The standard 120V outlet works but it’s much to slow for most owners, about 3 miles per hour charging. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector
She’s in Norway so they have 240V wall outlets as standard. And the car uses CCS for charging, different than us in the US.

But based on her comments it sounds like she already has some EV CCS charger at home, just not a Tesla one.

She’s in Norway so they have 240V wall outlets as standard. And the car uses CCS for charging, different than us in the US.

But based on her comments it sounds like she already has some EV CCS charger at home, just not a Tesla one.
Missed that, thank you.

Thanks, Midpack - I'm looking for a simpler way of unlocking the charging cable. On my M3 I have to use the app or the center screen in the car.

With my older MX I use the button behind the charging port cover. But newer cars lack this button. And my charging cable lacks the button.

So I can change the charger to one with the unlock button like the Tesla Wall Charger has - or I can find a better way of unlocking the cable I already have.

Or find something more important to do! :LOL:

I had a bit of an adventure today taking my model Y out for the second drive after picking it up.

I have been impressed with the auto steer and was anxious to see how the traffic aware cruise control performed. However, I guess I had a slight misunderstanding on what it was capable of.

I was using auto steer and TCC on a typical rural road with painted lines and traffic lights and stop signs. I had read that TCC would not stop for stop signs but would slow down if the car in front of you stopped for a stop sign.

That does not seem to be the case. I was chugging along and the car in front of me slowed down or possibly stopped to take a left hand turn. Suddenly the model Y jerked to the right and hit the brakes. A message came out that the collision avoidance system had been activated and stating that cruise control does not apply the breaks.

Well, all's well that ends well. I guess I will have to be a bit more cautious until I am more familiar with the way things work.

I also found that I seem to have access to a huge amount of music. I think it is because I have the one month free advanced communication package. I don't subscribe to any services. I just told it to play "No Woman No Cry" and Bob Marley started playing.

If I pay the $10 a month will I still have all these songs, or am I getting some sort of free trial of Spotify or some other service?

I think it includes Spotify, but I use Apple Music these days.

I can’t explain your cruise experience. Mine absolutely slows and even stops for a vehicle ahead of me. You weren’t overriding it by pressing on the accelerator were you? Cruise only warns me if I have my foot in the accelerator.

Last edited:
Can't be positive. I may have had my foot hovering on the accelerator, but cruise must have been active. The message flashed quickly but I am sure it said something like cruise control does not apply brakes. Maybe it only slows by regen. I might still be set to creep mode.

I don’t own a Tesla yet so who knows. But our last three cars have had adaptive cruise control (same as TACC) and all slowed our car in response to a car ahead slowing, even stopped the car if the car ahead stopped. And at least one car would move forward and accelerate to maintain distance on the car ahead once the car ahead started moving again. The only time adaptive cruise didn’t work perfectly was when a car ahead stopped very suddenly. I’d be surprised if TACC did work as well as any other make/model, adaptive cruise control has been around since the late 90’s.

Can't be positive. I may have had my foot hovering on the accelerator, but cruise must have been active. The message flashed quickly but I am sure it said something like cruise control does not apply brakes. Maybe it only slows by regen. I might still be set to creep mode.

I occasionally see that message but it’s when I’m overriding cruise temporarily by pressing the accelerator. Not when I’m just resting my foot on it or hovering nearby.

Cruise in our Tesla won’t automatically brake for stop signs or lights, but it most definitely slows to match a car in front and will come to a full stop behind a stopped car. Approaching a light with stopped cars the cruise starts slowing down well in advance. At low speeds our Tesla also applies the brakes, not just regen.

So I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t have creep mode as an option.

Last edited:
Maybe I was hitting the brake just as it happened because I was getting a bit anxious that it was getting close.

On the highway it did cut back to 55 when I was behind a slower car, so that part of CC is working. It did seem to follow more closely than I would have done, so I will increase the distance in my settings. The TMC threads complained that it follows close and also does not start to slow down soon enough and sort of drives up then slows down.

I would like to buy a month of FSD and get the beta, but I am not sure if Tesla has suspended new beta signups due to the issues with government. Also, I think many FSD features are not available for my car due to the new camera only feature delays.

I just installed the latest update with the Park Assist based on cameras.

I tried it out with the car parked in the semi-dark garage and it does not seem quite up to snuff for use in extremely tight spaces.

The estimated inches in the front of the car seemed to change, maybe due to shifting lighting. I crept the car forward a little bit and it seemed to say that there was 18 inches clear in front, but when I got out to look it seemed more like 12 inches.

I was anxiously waiting for this update, but I don't think I will be able to trust it for guiding me into the tight spot in the garage.

I may have to dismantle the second set of shelves which is on the right side of the car. It is just too nerve wracking to try to drive in without rubbing the side of the car on the shelves. Last time I had to get out twice to check as I was pulling it in.

I really need to declutter my house.

I just installed the latest update with the Park Assist based on cameras.

I tried it out with the car parked in the semi-dark garage and it does not seem quite up to snuff for use in extremely tight spaces.

The estimated inches in the front of the car seemed to change, maybe due to shifting lighting. I crept the car forward a little bit and it seemed to say that there was 18 inches clear in front, but when I got out to look it seemed more like 12 inches.

I was anxiously waiting for this update, but I don't think I will be able to trust it for guiding me into the tight spot in the garage.

I may have to dismantle the second set of shelves which is on the right side of the car. It is just too nerve wracking to try to drive in without rubbing the side of the car on the shelves. Last time I had to get out twice to check as I was pulling it in.

I really need to declutter my house.
If you're most concerned about fronting in your garage, there are simple devices that can help you. My Dad always hung a string with a small rubber weight that hit the center of the windshield when he in just right. He'd inch forward and stop when the rubber weight just tapped the windshield. Exactly where he wanted every time, FWIW. His car was so big it barely fit in the garage so a necessity, but could help you avoid decluttering in front at least...

I already moved the front shelf. Just the one on the side left.

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but the main reason I got the model Y was to carry stuff. But today there were some free wooden pallets that I stack wood on. I missed them last time because my neighbor was not happy to have me begging him to get them for me.

Today I folded the seats and rushed over with the model Y, but the two smallest pallets were just a hair too wide to fit. I might have been able to wedge one in at an angle but I decided it was not worth the risk of marrying the interior.

The park assist helped a little going into the garage today. I think I will get the hang of going in and out once I do it more.

I still have to put the film on and I bought a load of car wash and wax stuff so I can get off on the right foot with a nice coat of wax.

I already moved the front shelf. Just the one on the side left.

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but the main reason I got the model Y was to carry stuff. But today there were some free wooden pallets that I stack wood on. I missed them last time because my neighbor was not happy to have me begging him to get them for me.

Today I folded the seats and rushed over with the model Y, but the two smallest pallets were just a hair too wide to fit. I might have been able to wedge one in at an angle but I decided it was not worth the risk of marrying the interior.

The park assist helped a little going into the garage today. I think I will get the hang of going in and out once I do it more.

I still have to put the film on and I bought a load of car wash and wax stuff so I can get off on the right foot with a nice coat of wax.

Maybe you should put in your order for a cybertruck now. Musk says that the truck may be better than the Y in turn radius.

https://insideevs.com/news/659433/t...rs-like-champ-musk-says-it-might-top-model-y/

I would but the ceiling in my garage is too low for a truck or even an Acura RDX.

... I was chugging along and the car in front of me slowed down or possibly stopped to take a left hand turn. Suddenly the model Y jerked to the right and hit the brakes. A message came out that the collision avoidance system had been activated and stating that cruise control does not apply the breaks.

If I pay the $10 a month will I still have all these songs, or am I getting some sort of free trial of Spotify or some other service?

The only time I've seen a message saying cruise control does not apply the brakes is when I've had CC on, and had my foot on the accelerator pedal. I do that sometimes when I want to temporarily go faster than what CC is set to. Maybe you had your foot slightly pressing the accelerator?

Paying $10/month (or $99/year) for premium connectivity gives you Spotify, TuneIn, etc so you will have access to a lot of music. Unless you have a paid Spotify account, you'll be using the free version which will have commercials. If you have a paid Spotify account, you log into that on your Tesla and then no ads.

Very surprised to see several Model Y's with HW4 and new hi-res cameras have been found in delivery inventory by more than one source. I was thinking I was going to have to wait until late 2023/early 2024 to place my order, I may well be able to proceed much sooner. No idea when they will be widely available. Fingers crossed.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/26/tesla-model-y-hardware-4-features/

Back
Top Bottom