If you HAD to invest 40k, what would you do?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got to thinking (I'm not even remotely close to trying this...dont worry). But what if I tried to max out a HELOC to invest. I have a 40k line I'm opening. It's at prime plus .5%. SO, I'd have to earn 8-9% or so to break even.

HOW would you invest that $ to assure a profit?

Just wondering....

8 to 9% with little risk? Let me know where you find that. Best I can do is ISM, which might get you to 7%, and would only get you higher if it bounces upward in price in short order. Other than that, you would have to take a substantial amount of risk to get that kind of return.

Of COURSE it would be risky. that's why I wonder what you would do to achieve it, while trying to NOT lose your investing capital

just one of many random thoughts that crossed my mind today

I do hear that alpaca farms do quite well.....

thefed said:
I do hear that alpaca farms do quite well.....

I don't plan on losing my capital and I think that STON and EGLE would handily pay the interest cost and likely deliver a profit as well. Natrally, I own both, by way of fair disclosure.

brewer , what 's ISM:confused: how does it get you 7%? can u share the secret?

enuff

thefed,
If I were you I would be looking for another property to do the same thing. You obviously figured out how to make money with properties so why not continue along that route?

Arif said:
thefed,
If I were you I would be looking for another property to do the same thing. You obviously figured out how to make money with properties so why not continue along that route?

I was THINKING!!!! I'm just curious what route people here (who I hold in very high regard) would go. Would you play penny stocks? blue chips? Index funds? Hog futures? Gold? Resal estate? REIT's? Start a a small business? Loan it to your gambling addicted uncle?

I'm CURIOUS. I would NEVER do anything other than another rehab. BUT, if I did do somethign crazy like that, I think I'd alot 5k to penny stocks...that'd keep me busy. then I'd spread the other 35k amongst a few funds. Simple as that.

Sorry for asking! :eek: I am BORED ALL DAY at work, so I always daydream lots of stuff. Yesterday was what I'd do with a million bucks...or 650k since I 'won' it on the lottery.

When this thread first started I could not think of anything that I would put your $40K into.   The stock market is at a 6 year high, the Fed is still raising interest rates, folks need money to pay for gas as opposed to paying for other things, etc. 

However, you might be able to scratch out 0.5% to 1% a month selling covered calls of major S&P500 companies.   Last year, I mentioned selling calls on TGT.  The share price is still hovering between 53 and 55 and the May 55 call is selling for just above a 1% premium.

You could lose money, but you might make some as well.

FD: I have no open calls at this time.

Enuff2Eat said:
brewer , what 's ISM:confused: how does it get you 7%? can u share the secret?

enuff

It is an exchange-traded invetment grade note issued by Sallie Mae that pays CPI plus a spread and is trading at a significant discount to par. I think it is a steal, but do your own DD. Search the forum and you will bring up some recent posts.

brewer12345 said:
It is an exchange-traded invetment grade note issued by Sallie Mae that pays CPI plus a spread and is trading at a significant discount to par.  I think it is a steal, but do your own DD.  Search the forum and you will bring up some recent posts.

Brewer is a market mover. Up almost 1% today. When Brewer speaks..........the Early Retirement Forum listens.

DOG51 said:
Brewer is a market mover. Up almost 1% today. When Brewer speaks..........the Early Retirement Forum listens.

Uhuh. Just don't look at the other two things I mentioned for their daily moves (EGLE and STON). Not that a single day means all that much...

I took out an HELOC back in February 2005. My initial draw was $75K, and then around May/June I pulled out another $25K. I got Prime +.25%, so for awhile it looked pretty lucrative. My first payment was only 5.5%. However, my last one was 7.75% and the next one should go up to 8%.

However, I've been pretty lucky. That money, plus the money I got from selling my condo back in December of '04 has been spread out into mutual funds, stocks with a Scottrade account, an MMA with Emigrant Direct, and a few other things. I didn't track where that money specifically from the HELOC went, because it was pooled with the condo sale money.

But over the past year, just the ~$46K that went into my Scottrade account has made about $10K. And I haven't paid that yet in interest on the whole $100K HELOC! I paid $4827 in interest in 2005, and so far this year, maybe $3000. So I'm doing okay so far.

However, now that the interest rates are going up, I'm paying the HELOC down faster. I used to just take the interest payment and round up to the next $100. Lately though I've been paying $1000 each month, and might just move a big chunk of money from my Emigrant account to knock it down quicker. It doesn't make much sense to have a chunk of money laying around earning 4.5%, when I could use it to pay down an 8% loan.

I guess in alot of ways it sounds like I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul, while I'm having fun with Mary. But it seems to have worked, so far.

brewer12345 said:
Uhuh. Just don't look at the other two things I mentioned for their daily moves (EGLE and STON). Not that a single day means all that much...
No complaints here; EGLE paid out a dividend on the 3rd and maybe people finally noticed. I swear Fidelity didn't tell anyone that I raised my stop-loss today.

As for STON, the market seems to be losing interest. Are they done with their restatement actions yet? Maybe they'll come down below $20 again on their downward momentum...

Nords said:
As for STON, the market seems to be losing interest.  Are they done with their restatement actions yet?  Maybe they'll come down below $20 again on their downward momentum...

That is certainly possible, especially if it takes them a long time to do the restatements. Frankly, as long as they continue paying distributions that go up a least once a year, I am a happy camper. 11% yield on my purchase price. The stock can flatline for eternity and I will have more than made my return hurdle.

Well now

I'm a short term trader in my hobby stocks - so if they don't do good after 7 years - I'll dump them.

heh heh heh heh heh

Back
Top Bottom