I'm assuming this is a scam....

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
So I'm selling a pickup truck. Listed it on Nextdoor and Craigslist. Lots of interest because it's a fully tricked out, albeit vintage, 4x4 toyota.

The legit buyers are all asking questions about the suspension and arranging when to come see it.

This one person texts and says he'll pay full price is a certified check ok. I offer to show him the truck, and that I'd prefer cash or cashiers check. Then he says he'll send me a cashiers check for more than the amount, and arrange for movers to pick up the 4x4. I'm supposed to pay the movers with the extra money.

Um.... no...

While I suppose there is a chance this is a legit transaction, too many odd ball things... it stinks. I responded that I'd be happy to show him the truck and do the transaction in person.... No mailing of checks and *me* paying the movers.

Yeah, that has scam written all over it. Sounds like you have other legit buyers though.

are you desperate to offload the vehicle ??

if not i like your preference best ( the first one with the cash at your front door )

Cashier's checks are too easy to counterfeit. Cash only! It's a scam.

I'm supposed to pay the movers with the extra money.

ding ding ding

I sell online and sometimes get this "hey can you sell it to me off-platform with a cashiers check and i'll pay extra but then i need to pay for the pick up and then you can pay that with the extra" - old scam.

Yup, scam.

Sorry, cash only. Yup serious people ask questions about the vehicle and then make an appointment.

It's such a known scam you shouldn't have to ask. It's the #1 most common CL scam.

Just got another remote buyer... offered to pay extra to 'hold the car'.

I've got two different parties looking to see it tomorrow. Hope one of them is serious.

Good. After selling a few cars and bikes on CL, that's what should happen. Serious people want to see the car. I'll even let them drive it, leave the cash and your license before you go though.

Never hold anything for anybody unless it's a friend.

As others have said, Cash Only. Anything else is easily forged and you are out the money & truck. A lot of banks won't accept Cashiers checks anymore.

Go to the buyer's bank with them and have the bank either make a check out to you or give you cash.

Had a similar scam but needed to ship the car to the Craiglist warehouse.

I pay over listed if the pup and I can spend December and January in your Casita!

As others have said, pure scam. I always feel better when a prospective buyer starts by asking relevant questions about whatever I’m selling. Seems like most times I sell something online, someone comes to the party that is just too eager to buy what I’m selling without ever asking anything about it. Big red flag.

This is an old scam.

Also, don't handle large amounts of cash. Go to the bank.

My neighbor had the same offer so he was getting the car all spiffed up to ship.
I suggested to him this was a common scam and the bank takes a long time to know they are fake checks. He still went for it, and said he'd ask his bank to be sure it cleared.

It's been a couple of weeks that the car is gone, so I'll ask him next time how it went.

Scam. Had one like this for a piano. Did not bother to reply.

Google "Craigslist car scams" and look for your situation. I'm betting you'll find it.

We were instantly hit with "Will buy your John Deere lawn tractor for more than your asking price with a cashiers check," which is a way of saying, "We'll take your valuable tractor and run away, while you find out in 2 months that the cashiers check was fake and are stuck with paying back your bank."

The part about paying the movers is a little different, but still sounds scammy. I'm betting the "movers" are in on the scam. They'll be paid when the scammer sells your truck.

Cash and carry...that's my rule. I put it in my ads. I wanted to use "In God we trust, all others pay cash" but decided it might offend religious buyers.

So I'm selling a pickup truck. Listed it on Nextdoor and Craigslist. Lots of interest because it's a fully tricked out, albeit vintage, 4x4 toyota.

The legit buyers are all asking questions about the suspension and arranging when to come see it.

This one person texts and says he'll pay full price is a certified check ok. I offer to show him the truck, and that I'd prefer cash or cashiers check. Then he says he'll send me a cashiers check for more than the amount, and arrange for movers to pick up the 4x4. I'm supposed to pay the movers with the extra money.

Um.... no...

While I suppose there is a chance this is a legit transaction, too many odd ball things... it stinks. I responded that I'd be happy to show him the truck and do the transaction in person.... No mailing of checks and *me* paying the movers.

I NEVER sell or buy anything without meeting the other party, usually at a public place if I can. And payments are ALWAYS in cash. In fact, I learned that lot of the scams are not even about money. You will get stupid questions/paragraph (usually generic and with grammatical errors) which leads you to reply. What they want is your e-mail or phone number!

As a buyer I would not want to be carrying that much cash, the seller can be a scam artist too. I would meet them at their bank, and initiate a direct transfer from their account to yours. Or better yet, get an escrow account.

Back
Top Bottom