I'm in a good spot but tempted

Whatever you decide I think your idea of "traveling the world" with your kids is a good idea. When someone says they plan to travel the world, they don't normally mean 125 countries as mentioned above. According to the World Atlas there are only 189 - 196 countries in total, depending on the definition of a country.

We didn't exactly travel the world with our 2 kids but we did rent houses or condos or cabins etc, for holidays of 2 weeks at a time in countries in Europe and the Caribbean, plus 2 month long vacations with them in Australia. They are in their 30's now but still talk fondly about those trips, and now enjoy doing their own travel. (Last year DD visited S. Korea, Hong Kong and Japan with her SO)

One thing to consider: working 2 days/week will delay your ability to do the type of travel you speak of. And depending on how stressful the job is, it may leak into the other five days if you're not careful.

If you're a type A personality (I can relate), you can find a lot of other things to occupy your time that you can obsess over (and I use that word with the utmost respect and good intentions) - learning a language, read a bunch of books you've always wanted to, learn glass blowing, build a shed out back, refinish that Airstream trailer you've always wanted to, garden, etc.

As others have stated: you've won the game (congratulations). I'd take this time to enjoy the fruits of my labor, purchase some experiences through family travel that you want to do, take lots of pictures and enjoy yourself.

Whatever you decide I think your idea of "traveling the world" with your kids is a good idea. When someone says they plan to travel the world, they don't normally mean 125 countries as mentioned above. According to the World Atlas there are only 189 - 196 countries in total, depending on the definition of a country.

We didn't exactly travel the world with our 2 kids but we did rent houses or condos or cabins etc, for holidays of 2 weeks at a time in countries in Europe and the Caribbean, plus 2 month long vacations with them in Australia. They are in their 30's now but still talk fondly about those trips, and now enjoy doing their own travel. (Last year DD visited S. Korea, Hong Kong and Japan with her SO)

Where did you get that number:confused:

My mother traveled to a lot of countries (she says 73 now, but I thought it was in the high 60s).... she used youth hostels... she was on the board of the local chapter so I got on it for a few years when they needed financial help... during that time I met some people who said they had traveled to over 200 countries... (it was something like 212 or 220 something... just cannot remember now)....

Thanks for all the great responses. One more thing to consider: if I turn down the position, another may not open up again like this. . .

Well I will throw in another thought... you said it would be a 2 year commitment... that is not true... unless they are locking you up in jail you can change your mind and walk away... there might be some exit clause etc. that you might have to deal with, but nobody can make you go to work if you do not want to.... just sayin.....

Where did you get that number:confused:

My mother traveled to a lot of countries (she says 73 now, but I thought it was in the high 60s).... she used youth hostels... she was on the board of the local chapter so I got on it for a few years when they needed financial help... during that time I met some people who said they had traveled to over 200 countries... (it was something like 212 or 220 something... just cannot remember now)....

World Atlas, but I'm sure there are other sources, although I was thinking of sovereign States. e.g. England is not a country recognized by the United Nations. (UK is, but try and tell the Scots they are not a country)

how many countries in the world

The US State Department recognizes 194 independent countries around the world, but that list of countries reflects the political agenda of the United States of America. As an example, it includes Kosovo, but does not include Taiwan, as China claims that Taiwan (the ROC) is simply a province of China.
Member states of the United Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are 193 United Nations (UN) member states, and each of them is a member of the United Nations General Assembly

Well I will throw in another thought... you said it would be a 2 year commitment... that is not true... unless they are locking you up in jail you can change your mind and walk away... there might be some exit clause etc. that you might have to deal with, but nobody can make you go to work if you do not want to.... just sayin.....

This is true. But the position is with a company where, unless they did something bad, I'd feel terrible leaving early. I'm pretty loyal until someone gives me a reason not to be.

Thanks, Alan. I think the memories would be priceless.:)

This is true. But the position is with a company where, unless they did something bad, I'd feel terrible leaving early. I'm pretty loyal until someone gives me a reason not to be.

That may be different so only you can decide I think. I would have been gone about 4M ago if it was me (my numbers always suggested that 5M was 100% safe eject button regardless of age). But I have always believe Time>>$$ and money can be a nearly limitless resource (some may disagree but I suspect Bill Gates could never really spend all he has) but time has a hard stop associated with it and none of us know when that stop will happen

That may be different so only you can decide I think. I would have been gone about 4M ago if it was me (my numbers always suggested that 5M was 100% safe eject button regardless of age). But I have always believe Time>>$$ and money can be a nearly limitless resource (some may disagree but I suspect Bill Gates could never really spend all he has) but time has a hard stop associated with it and none of us know when that stop will happen

Agree 100%. I could have stayed FT making serious $ but opted not to because I think there is more to life than $. It is just a couple of years that would be PT, pad the savings until our local commitments no longer keep us here. Thanks!

“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
-Dalai Lama

Alan, thanks...

I decided to do some research and came across this as an answer:

The Traveler's Century Club, a club for people who have visited more than 100 countries, has a list of 317 countries. Charles Veley from San Francisco in 2003 became the youngest person, at 37, to visit all countries, having visited all but about 70 countries in just over three years. By 2004 only nine members had visited every place on the list. John Clouse, from Evansville, IN, was the first to travel to all the countries and was recognized by the 1995 Guinness World Records as "the world's most traveled man." Charles Veley, claims to currently be the world's most traveled person. His website, mosttraveledpeople.com, lists that he has visited 709 out of 765 countries, territories, autonomous regions, enclaves, geographically separated island groups, and major states and provinces and his website documents the locations. According to Wikipedia no one has visited all 765 locations.

Here is a guy who has been to a good number of them.... found this while looking... it lists a good number of places that are not countries....

List of all the Countries in the World

Alan, thanks...

I decided to do some research and came across this as an answer:
The Traveler's Century Club, a club for people who have visited more than 100 countries, has a list of 317 countries. Charles Veley from San Francisco in 2003 became the youngest person, at 37, to visit all countries, having visited all but about 70 countries in just over three years. By 2004 only nine members had visited every place on the list. John Clouse, from Evansville, IN, was the first to travel to all the countries and was recognized by the 1995 Guinness World Records as "the world's most traveled man." Charles Veley, claims to currently be the world's most traveled person. His website, mosttraveledpeople.com, lists that he has visited 709 out of 765 countries, territories, autonomous regions, enclaves, geographically separated island groups, and major states and provinces and his website documents the locations. According to Wikipedia no one has visited all 765 locations.

Here is a guy who has been to a good number of them.... found this while looking... it lists a good number of places that are not countries....

List of all the Countries in the World

Interesting. Even Alaska is listed as a country on that list.

The point in my original post is that it is extremely unusual for a family with children to have stayed in 125 countries which is probably the reason that ERTX was complaining about how stressful it was when he did it, and I wanted to indicate to the OP that world travel can be fun even with kids.

You asset level is outside my pay grade but personally I want to still work part-time because I like the brain work and extra money, but I would not do something stressful. Challenging, new and interesting kinds of work are different than stressful.

A good book you might find some wisdom in is What Happy People Know: How the New Science of Happiness Can Change Your Life for the Better. It deals with stress, work life balance and has examples of some very highly paid but high strung and life satisfaction poor executives and CEO types.

Interesting discussion. Why don't you find something you like to do rather than something for the income? It seems like you have done well financially and you should be able to find a stress free work environment.

A good book you might find some wisdom in is What Happy People Know: How the New Science of Happiness Can Change Your Life for the Better. It deals with stress, work life balance and has examples of some very highly paid but high strung and life satisfaction poor executives and CEO types.

I've read it! Helped me to realize FT wasn't for me. Excellent read.

“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
-Dalai Lama
Though you clearly meant no harm whatsoever, this well intended misquote has floated thru here before. Certainly something to think about/worth sharing, but the Dalai Lama never said it despite the many online links that erroneously say otherwise. Even Forbes fell for it.

In the Internet/social media age, fact checking can be overrun and misinformation is rapidly reinforced and becomes widely accepted all too quickly - 'Ain't technology grand...'

I know some will say the source isn't important, but it is to followers of the Dalai Lama.

Quote by James J. Lachard: “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because h...”
NT Blog: That Dalai Lama Quotation, and the Historical Sceptic
https://centerforgloballeadership.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/an-interview-with-god-i-stand-corrected/
http://kennethwongsf.blogspot.com/2013/04/einstein-dalai-lama-and-forgotten-art.html
And many other credible sources.

Last edited:
Though you clearly meant no harm whatsoever, this well intended misquote has floated thru here before. Certainly something to think about/worth sharing, but the Dalai Lama never said it despite the many online links that erroneously say otherwise. Even Forbes fell for it. In the Internet/social media age, misinformation is rapidly reinforced and becomes widely accepted all too quickly - 'Ain't technology (Internet/social media) grand...'

Quote by James J. Lachard: “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because h...”
NT Blog: That Dalai Lama Quotation, and the Historical Sceptic
Kenneth Wong SF: Einstein, the Dalai Lama, and the Forgotten Art of Fact Checking
And many other credible sources.

Ah, thanks. That does happen a lot. I have thought for years it was the Dalai Lama but alas no. Regardless, it is wise and I think most folks on this site get it.

Thanks for all the great responses. One more thing to consider: if I turn down the position, another may not open up again like this. . .

My father is a type A person. He worked until he was 71. He wanted to lock in a small pension so it was somewhat about the money, but he would continually say that he didn't know what he'd do with his time if he retired.

I think you and your wife are in the same boat as my dad was. You haven't figured out what you're going to do with your time and so you think you might not have enough to do to satisfy your type A personality.

My dad is now 84 and he's just now starting to slow down a little due to his age. In the last 10 years, he always had something to do. You're a type A person. You will find things to do and things to do will find you. Unless you would do the job you're considering for free (i.e. you love it), then I would not do it.

No. When I announced my retirement many people who know me well thought I would be climbing the walls but I have been pleasantly surprised how content I can be just puttering around doing this or that. Leave the door open but take a clean break for a while.

I've read it! Helped me to realize FT wasn't for me. Excellent read.

In the Millionaire Next Door most of the study millionaires worked because they loved what they did. Many had their own businesses. I am sure if you looked around you could find something you loved to do where you could also have more control over your own hours and more fun, less stress.

I was in a similar position 4 years ago. The company that I was CEO of got acquired and I was given an earn out with the acquiring company. I only lasted 1 year of the earn out contract because I was ready to move on to ER, including a 1 year travel sabbatical with my kids.

Now several years later I haven't returned to work. I do some pro bono work, some angel investing, and a few weeks of paid consulting work each year. That is enough to keep me in the loop, as I still routinely get job offers from friends and contacts. (I'm now 45.)

My point is that there is some reason you are considering ER. Taking at least 6 months off to put your toes in the sand with no commitments is very helpful to come to an understanding of what you want out of the rest of your life.

Type A's aren't forbidden to ER, they just need to focus that ambition on other pursuits.

Also, considering your success, there will likely always be new career opportunities available to pursue.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

One consideration not mentioned ... going from 60 MPH (full time) to 0 MPH (retired) might shock the Type A.

The 2 day/wk would ease the transition.

Can't everyone just make up my mind for me:confused: Lol...:LOL:

Thank you all for the great comments and advice. It really helps, honestly.

A perspective from someone who has been there...

With about half your assets (but single, so it was more than enough for me) I ER'd in early 2012 I did a quite a bit of travel, and tried to get engaged in local non-profits, but found myself seeking mental stimulation. A role came along in late 2013 that I figured would use my skills, but required a move and a two year commitment. I went for it, thinking "how bad could it be?"

Well, it has been 16 months, and most of it has been torture. I am using my brain, but primarily to deal with the corrosive politics of the new organization. I have ten times more responsibility than I signed up for, and am really looking forward to hitting 24 months so I can move on. I made a commitment, and I will keep it. But it has taken a toll on my health and happiness that I could not have predicted. It is even more frustrating for me because I didn't need the job, and could have continued to look, but didn't want to pass in case the window on my particular skill set closed - I figured a job that needed exactly my skills and paid well wouldn't come along again.

I encourage you to think long and hard before deciding to do this. Investigate the organization to know what you are getting yourself into. There are other ways to spend you time and energy, especially if you don't need the money.

Thanks, Lagniappe. Great advice. I am working on checking out the situation prior to making any firm decisions. There really is no pressure, other than that I put on myself. Ah, that damn type A personality again! :facepalm:

A perspective from someone who has been there...

With about half your assets (but single, so it was more than enough for me) I ER'd in early 2012 I did a quite a bit of travel, and tried to get engaged in local non-profits, but found myself seeking mental stimulation. A role came along in late 2013 that I figured would use my skills, but required a move and a two year commitment. I went for it, thinking "how bad could it be?"

Well, it has been 16 months, and most of it has been torture. I am using my brain, but primarily to deal with the corrosive politics of the new organization. I have ten times more responsibility than I signed up for, and am really looking forward to hitting 24 months so I can move on. I made a commitment, and I will keep it. But it has taken a toll on my health and happiness that I could not have predicted. It is even more frustrating for me because I didn't need the job, and could have continued to look, but didn't want to pass in case the window on my particular skill set closed - I figured a job that needed exactly my skills and paid well wouldn't come along again.

I encourage you to think long and hard before deciding to do this. Investigate the organization to know what you are getting yourself into. There are other ways to spend you time and energy, especially if you don't need the money.

I would have left a LONG time ago.... a commitment is a two way street... if they are not keeping their side of the agreement, then why should I keep mine:confused:

And that is what I was trying to say to the OP... sure, you make a commitment to work 2 years with some understanding of what is supposed to happen... but if it does not, then time to move on....

As an example... say they agreed to pay your X.... but 6 months in the company is having some big problems and decides to cut everybody's pay by 20%..... so you now make .8X.... would you stick around:confused: Not me if I did not need the job.... or if there was something else that made up for the lower wage.... like flex time or something else good...

Back
Top Bottom