Index funds vs aggressive growth funds

Only problem that you have is that January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2015 is 7 years, not 6 years. :facepalm::D

Assuming those are the right dates, then the returns are 15.5% and 8.6% for you and your friend, respectively.
Thanks for the catch! And thanks everybody for the assist in getting to understand my investments more. I learned something to help me measure my progress.

As for my friend I emailed him the numbers and the math behind them. I have yet to hear back. The news has got to be hurting him pretty badly. But I hope it spurs in him the impetus to modify his investment tactics.

Thanks for the catch! And thanks everybody for the assist in getting to understand my investments more. I learned something to help me measure my progress.

As for my friend I emailed him the numbers and the math behind them. I have yet to hear back. The news has got to be hurting him pretty badly. But I hope it spurs in him the impetus to modify his investment tactics.
Good luck with your portfolio. And don't get too hung up on measuring progress--returns ebb and flow over time, just keep contributing and tracking your portfolio against applicable benchmarks.

Your friend's "advisor" will have all sorts of [-]excuses[/-] reasons for his portfolio's performance. This, together with the predisposition most of us have to avoid believing something that is painful, may be enough to keep him on his present path. All you can, or should, do is give him the tools to see things clearly for himself, and it sounds like you've done that.

Back
Top Bottom