Indexinvestor.com

devans6151

Confused about dryer sheets
Can anyone comment on this site and it's newsletter?
They caan be found at assetallocation.org

Without reading anything, I can comment that reading the free stuff is good, otherwise borrowing "the four pillars of investing" or "retire early, live well" from your local library beats paying someone $25 a year to tell you their version online...

Otherwise go here http://www.ifa.com/IndexFundDefinition.htm

and take their survey and get an asset allocation plan for free...then buy their plan through a DFA advisor or buy the equivalent funds through vanguard. Also free!

I've subscribed for a year, and i do think it is worth the $25. Compared to something like the Vanguard Fund Family Letter it is not quite so slick, but the level of discussion is arguably higher. It is written by academics (I am pretty sure) and makes a nice adjunct to investors seeking to implement the Bernstein books in their portfolios.

March's topics included: Deep analysis of impact on your returns of the high fees in commodities funds, More on Retail Hedge Fund index products with explanation of high correlation between Long-Short hedge funds/indexes and the regular stock market making them less attractive for us, and their preference for market neutral or macro strategy fund/indexes for the real diversification they could give us, but that unfortunately there are still few vehicles open to the retail investor. Finally the last main article was about a new China ETF soon available in the US.

Every month they go through a lot of market stats on asset allocation market performance, and uniquely give all htis info in several major currencies .

There is also a huge economic forecast/update and predictions on returns from asset classes, and implied equity premiums in various markets.
There is also a good letter to the editor from an investor looking to buy timber lands for diversification, and they explain the pros and cons of the small number of vehicles for doing this.

It has gotten a lot better during the past year. SUbscribers can have access to all the old issues, too.

I'd say I got my 25 bucks worth this year and would renew.

I recently paid my $25 for a years subscription to IndexInvestor and agree with ESRBob that it is worth the money. They have a lot of thorough write-ups on various topics related to indexing and allocation. The conclusions are similar to Bernstein and others, but with some different twists. They make a good case, for example, of adding commodities at around the same percentage as REITS. I have also found that they are very good at giving thorough answers to questions I have asked.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom