Join Early Retirement Today

Interest paid in sweep accounts
Old 09-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interest paid in sweep accounts

I have an account with Ameritrade.* Their sweep account pays a paultry .1%. (that's 1/10/th of 1%.*

In the Discount Broker areana, who has more generous interest rates for their sweep accounts.* I don't want to be restricted to buying only one fund type like Vanguard for example.* I am interested in dividend stocks, raits and some bonds, so I'd like something that makes more sence until I can get to reinvesting it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Interest paid in sweep accounts
Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's insane

My Schwab account is paying 4.82% as of today on the sweep MMF

Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
That's insane

My Schwab account is paying 4.82% as of today on the sweep MMF

Yes. The schwab sweep use to be weekly, but now its done daily. Its even better.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WellsFargo pays 4.62% this week. I also have an account at TDAmeritrade, but will do no new buys in it and the major reason is the sweep account interest rate.

WF trades are $2.95 for me and soon to be $0. Even transaction fee mutual fund trades are $2.95.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #5

My fidelity account pays something like 3.7% for balances less than $1000 cash, and 4.9% for cash bal over $1000. I think I'm at the "silver" trading commission level which means I have $50000+ in assets (mostly mutual funds) and I get $8 trades. Plus you get access to no fee fidelity mutual funds (they have a number of supercheap index funds). Great customer service so far.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
I don't want to be restricted to buying only one fund type like Vanguard for example. I am interested in dividend stocks, raits and some bonds, so I'd like something that makes more sence until I can get to reinvesting it.
Not sure what you mean by this, but you can open an account with Vanguard Brokerage Services and have the money swept into any of Vanguard's money market funds. Also, if you have enough assets to qualify for their Flagship service, you get all kinds of other benefits.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #7

This may be a dumb question when you are with either Vanguard or Fidelity, aren't you restricted to only their funds, as opposed to other Discount Brokers?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
This may be a dumb question when you are with either Vanguard or Fidelity, aren't you restricted to only their funds, as opposed to other Discount Brokers?
No, you can invest with anyone who's funds fidelity or VG sells. They both have a huge selection of funds to pick from.

For some reason I think Vanguard has a more limited selection of funds than Fidelity, since I think there was a schwab fund I was looking at that Vg doesn't sell, but Fidelity does (SWPNX).

Old 09-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Both Fidelity and Vanguard have brokerage services that are apart (but integrated with) their mutual fund offerings. *So you are not restricted to only their funds...

... as long as you open a brokerage account with them.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

With the broker you mentioned, Ameritrade, check their MMF (WTOXX), I believe it pays around 4.4%. You may call and find out the latest yield.

Al
Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #11

"That's insane

My Schwab account is paying 4.82% as of today on the sweep MMF"

This feature is only available to Schwab customers with household balances over $500,000.