Investment Advice for Canadians Living in USA

WineLover

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello!
I’m very happy to have found this forum!!!
My husband and I are Canadians but we are currently living in the US. We plan on being here for 3 years. I recently opened a Vanguard account and started investing (gotta love a bear market!). My questions are the following: Can I continue to invest in Vanguard when we return to Ontario? If not, do I have to withdraw the investments before moving? Has anyone had experience with this:confused:
Also, my hubby is working for the same firm he was with in Canada. He would like to take advantage of his company’s 401K program while we are here. Just wondering what happens to 401Ks when the individual move outside the US? Again any experience that you could share on this would be appreciated.

Hello!
I’m very happy to have found this forum!!!
My husband and I are Canadians but we are currently living in the US. We plan on being here for 3 years. I recently opened a Vanguard account and started investing (gotta love a bear market!). My questions are the following: Can I continue to invest in Vanguard when we return to Ontario? If not, do I have to withdraw the investments before moving? Has anyone had experience with this:confused:
Also, my hubby is working for the same firm he was with in Canada. He would like to take advantage of his company’s 401K program while we are here. Just wondering what happens to 401Ks when the individual move outside the US? Again any experience that you could share on this would be appreciated.

No, you can't buy Vanguard here. But for wayyyy more detail, check the financial webring forum.

You might want to check with your husband's company's HR dept. Usually when companies transfer employees to other companies they give them help with taxes and benefit implications while 'abroad'. :)

I think you can buy Vanguard and also open a 401K plan while you are working in the US. However, if you return to Canada, further investment in both are frozen. You can retain the Vanguard account but no longer contrubute to it. The 401K is more complex and deserves some professional advice.

Back
Top Bottom