Investment strategy if US Debt Crisis

The more a country's sovereign debt is held by another country the bigger the potential trouble, for both parties. It's my understanding the largest portion of US debt is held by Americans. This means in a way Americans simply owe the debt to themselves. If necessary Americans can take the money out of one pocket and put it in another, and that situation does not make for a crisis.

In looking at recent political developments, it seems like the only thing that US political parties agree on is increased deficit spending.
That seems accurate.

If the US debt becomes unsustainable, and we enter a Greek style crisis in a few years, what's the best investment strategy to pursue now?
How will you know when the US debt becomes unsustainable?

My financial advisor has basically told us there's nothing to be done - basically diversify slightly toward international holdings, and hope for the best.
I agree with your adviser.

OP, I suggest compromising with DW and just get one C8 corvette. They are glorious! But I suspect they will be too common for investment purposes.

If you’re worried about a real crisis, get a couple weeks worth of canned bean and bottled water, a small sack of silver coins, and a trusty shotgun with bird and buckshot shells. Brush up on some survival skills and be prepared to adjust from there. Those are all pretty cheap things to do and will cover many scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom