IRA e-file rejected.

I'm simply going to print and file the return by mail on Monday.

Sounds like a great idea. A few sheets of paper for the printer might cost a nickel or so, and adding that to the cost of two stamps on the return and the total cost would be about $1. That's nothing - - cheaper than coffee at Starbux, and the aggravation is done.

The e-file is fun but it's not the real value in TT, as I see it.

The only advice I could get from the TT community was to re-do the entire return manually from scratch, not importing last year's return.

I do so today and submitted the return. Took me 2 hrs. Rejected a few hours later with the same error codes.

I'm simply going to print and file the return by mail on Monday.
Bummer. If you have a refund coming it will take longer. Too bad you couldn't resolve this. Will this affect your choice of tax prep sw next year?

Sounds like a great idea. A few sheets of paper for the printer might cost a nickel or so, and adding that to the cost of two stamps on the return and the total cost would be about $1. That's nothing - - cheaper than coffee at Starbux, and the aggravation is done.

Certified mail with return receipt requested alone costs more than a buck.
The Fed & state authorities have become too cheap to mail filers the forms based on their prior year's filing. A 1040 with accompanying Scheds. A, B, D, D-1., Forms 1116(with supporting attachments), 6251, and 8606 amounts to more than a few sheets of paper; and the design of the forms (e.g. logos) wastes plenty of ink.
The IRS has turned taxpayers into 'public servants' who perform data entry tasks which formerly provided gainful employment to government data entry clerks.

Last edited:
Your avatar probably spooked someone in Homeland Security who alerted the IRS to place you on their No e-File List. :)

Funny you should mention that. In 1978, while I still looked like my avatar, we went on holiday to Ireland taking the ferry from Fishguard (Wales) then driving over to the west coast. Before we left one of the guys in the office said, "They'll never let you in, you look like a terrorist". I was travelling with DW, her sister and sister's husband. Our car got pulled out of line before boarding and we were questioned for a good 10 minutes or more. We ended up being the last car to roll on, the questioning took so long.

I would never just mail it, it will be certified so it will cost a few $. It is the aggravation of printing, and going out to the post office and standing in line to send it that is annoying.

Bummer. If you have a refund coming it will take longer. Too bad you couldn't resolve this. Will this affect your choice of tax prep sw next year?

Probably not. I've used TaxAct in the past, and it didn't cope very well with my foreign pension. The free version of TaxAct is also only on-line and doesn't import the previous year's data. I have a reasonably complicated return and like to play with it during the year to run various scenarios on withdrawal strategies, Roth conversions etc.

In the grand scheme of things this is just a minor irritation.

I would never just mail it, it will be certified so it will cost a few $.

Wow! I can't imagine. For over 40 years I just mailed mine in the envelope provided, and never worried about it or had any problems. After the www was invented, I could check online and see if they had received my paperwork and were starting on my refund yet.

Of course, I always filed my taxes early so anything had gone wrong, I had plenty of time to rectify it.

Everything I send to the IRS is certified. I am still in a strange loop with them on my 2009 tax return. For technical reasons I had to paper file that year. The return is still open. I have a notebook full of machine generated letters from them. They have lost my entire file twice (including all my responses to their inquiries). Without my certified receipts I have no proof that I ever responded to their queries.

Wow! I can't imagine. For over 40 years I just mailed mine in the envelope provided, and never worried about it or had any problems. After the www was invented, I could check online and see if they had received my paperwork and were starting on my refund yet.

Of course, I always filed my taxes early so anything had gone wrong, I had plenty of time to rectify it.

Everything I send to the IRS is certified. I am still in a strange loop with them on my 2009 tax return. For technical reasons I had to paper file that year. The return is still open. I have a notebook full of machine generated letters from them. They have lost my entire file twice (including all my responses to their inquiries). Without my certified receipts I have no proof that I ever responded to their queries.

When I lived in Louisiana they lost my return once, owing me ~$80. I had sent it regular mail and didn't even notice I had not received the check until after the filing deadline. I called and talked to someone who said they no record of ever receiving it. He told me to make copies and mail it in again. Fortunately I never got a late penalty but after that I always sent via certified mail, until e-filing came along.

Probably not. I've used TaxAct in the past, and it didn't cope very well with my foreign pension. The free version of TaxAct is also only on-line and doesn't import the previous year's data. I have a reasonably complicated return and like to play with it during the year to run various scenarios on withdrawal strategies, Roth conversions etc.

Not to be too picky, but TaxAct does have a free downloadable version. This is what I am using this year.

Not to be too picky, but TaxAct does have a free downloadable version. This is what I am using this year.

Thanks for the correction. Does the downloaded free version allow you to import your the data from the previous year? I ask because my son uses TaxAct on-line and said it would be nice to be able to import from last year, but not enough for him to pay.

Likewise, I mail it early and check on it. I have a mental hangup about spending money to pay taxes.:)

Certified mail with return receipt requested alone costs more than a buck.
The Fed & state authorities have become too cheap to mail filers the forms based on their prior year's filing. A 1040 with accompanying Scheds. A, B, D, D-1., Forms 1116(with supporting attachments), 6251, and 8606 amounts to more than a few sheets of paper; and the design of the forms (e.g. logos) wastes plenty of ink.
The IRS has turned taxpayers into 'public servants' who perform data entry tasks which formerly provided gainful employment to government data entry clerks.

I have a mental hangup about paying to do taxes also. I called IRS and asked them to mail me the forms that I needed, which they did. I have never sent mine certified either. Since we are talking about it, it will probably cause me problems this year. I certainly hope not. The first time that I run into problems, I will be sending mine certified also.

Thanks for the correction. Does the downloaded free version allow you to import your the data from the previous year? I ask because my son uses TaxAct on-line and said it would be nice to be able to import from last year, but not enough for him to pay.

Importing is a feature of the paid version. ;)

Even though I use tax preparation software, I have always filed by mail --certified, return receipt requested. I will continue to do so until they won't take paper returns anymore.

I filed a paper copy, but here is the latest info back from my query.

As of Feb 7, 2012, the folowing website says that it is a TurboTax problem and they are "working on it"

E-file Rejection: Code 0034 for Form 8606 and Codes 0151 and 0156 for Summary Records. - TurboTax® Software Support

After filing your Federal return it may be rejected with the following codes:

Code 0034 - Form 8606 - For each record, significant data must be present following the Record ID Group.
Code 0156 - Summary Record - Number of Form Records must equal the number of form records computed by the IRS.
Code 0151 - Summary Record - Number of Logical Records in Tax Return must equal the total logical record count computed by the IRS.

We're currently investigating these codes in order to correct your return. Please click here to be notified when we have updates.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, and I sure hope it doesn't happen to me this year!

That said, were I in your place I'd just print out the forms and mail them to the IRS. No big deal (at least to me).

Does'nt everyone have to eventually mail in their 1099's, W2's anyway? Or am I missing something.

Does'nt everyone have to eventually mail in their 1099's, W2's anyway? Or am I missing something.
The IRS receives those documents electronically from the institutions that produce them so there is no need or requirement for the taxpayer to mail them.

The IRS receives those documents electronically from the institutions that produce them so there is no need or requirement for the taxpayer to mail them.

Really!?! Thanks! The older I get the less I seem to know. I've been sending them in all this time.

Planning to dump my $800 accountant (things are getting more and more simple for us reporting wise) and go to TT next year. Have already done a 'test' scenario on TT to see if he comes up with the same/similar numbers tomorrow.

Really!?! Thanks! The older I get the less I seem to know. I've been sending them in all this time.

Planning to dump my $800 accountant (things are getting more and more simple for us reporting wise) and go to TT next year. Have already done a 'test' scenario on TT to see if he comes up with the same/similar numbers tomorrow.
The TT test is a great way to see if you can do it yourself. Unless you have a particularly complex return, it should be just as easy (or hard).

I filed a paper copy, but here is the latest info back from my query.
I'd be interested in hearing what you eventually learn. If it turns out that there is a revision to the software that "fixes" this, it would reaffirm my strategy to delay filing as long as possible to wait for software vendors to patch their software.

I do my TaxAide returns on Taxwise but my personal return with TT. Last year, I continued to get software updates on TT throughout the summer. By September, they seemed to have died down.

Correct. e-filing means having nothing to mail in.

I'd be interested in hearing what you eventually learn. If it turns out that there is a revision to the software that "fixes" this, it would reaffirm my strategy to delay filing as long as possible to wait for software vendors to patch their software.

I do my TaxAide returns on Taxwise but my personal return with TT. Last year, I continued to get software updates on TT throughout the summer. By September, they seemed to have died down.

I'm sure it will be fixed in a future update, and yes, the updates usually go on for many months.

TT have announced that the problem is fixed. I've not attempted to e-file again as I sent off a paper return, but others with the same problem have confirmed it now works.

TT have announced that the problem is fixed. I've not attempted to e-file again as I sent off a paper return, but others with the same problem have confirmed it now works.
A pity it wasn't in time to help you but still good to know. Thanks for the update.

(also posted on another thread re: TT)

Well....my accountant just sent me my finished tax filings.
I had surreptitiously also done them myself on TT.
It came out to the exact same amount.

So...this year, I'll have to pay him the $800, but next year_...he's toast!_ $800 in my pocket!

Thanks to all on this forum who encouraged me to try TT.

Back
Top Bottom