Is anyone had experienced the IRS servise like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, refunds issued from amended returns are paid by check. Unless they changed it recently it was not possible to even get direct deposit with a 1040X

Yes, this changed last year. Amended returns filed during calendar year 2023 and later can use direct deposit for refunds. This is one of the system improvements that was paid for by the additional funding they got from the Inflation Reduction Act.

I am still waiting for my 6k tax refund from 2022. Multiple notices I have sent out.
They are just idiots and don't understand my tax situation which is not typical with a grown dependent who has his own ACA insurance.
For my mom and DGF, I make sure they owe money each year.

Have you asked the Taxpayer Advocate Service for help? I don't know the whole story, so you may already have tried them. They aren't able to help in every case, but they can get a lot of issues resolved.

Have you asked the Taxpayer Advocate Service for help? I don't know the whole story, so you may already have tried them. They aren't able to help in every case, but they can get a lot of issues resolved.

I have not but good idea, thanks.
The basic story is that most adult dependents who are on the ACA plan don't have their own policy. However my brother does have his own policy. Thus his 1095A and my 1095A are combined on my return for the form 8962 calculation.
They keep just using my form only.
Not that difficult. They just are not smart and if it wasn't the IRS, I would bulldoze them over.
Interestingly, all my conversations with the ACA folks are always smooth and accurate.

Normally, if a return has not been processed it isn't going to roll anywhere. It will not be applied to the subsequent year until the return is processed. And you would have to have specified that the refund would be applied to next years taxes.

As I recall, refunds issued from amended returns are paid by check. Unless they changed it recently it was not possible to even get direct deposit with a 1040X

I think the OP was taking my suggestion to wait.

Obviously the die is cast on extending the original return avoiding the 1040x.

Some funny stuff in this thread, e.g. the Wapo article about COBOL being obsolete.

Although its been a while, the financial services firm (one of the biggest and most successful in the world and one whose CEO is routinely praised - for good reason) that I worked with/for used COBOL for their credit card processing. When I retired, those "obsolete" systems were able to process 1,000 credit card transactions per second, and that was with 2009 processors and disks. (We had just started to use SSD's for things like DB log files which was/is a critical performance path.)

I'd bet they are still using those core technologies.

ETA: There is an issue out there regarding "obsolete" skills. Within a few years ago I had someone ask me (as a professor) about students with COBOL skills and also FORTRAN skills. (Fortran in the case of NASA if I remember correctly). It was kinda funny as a friend worked on a Fortran compiler and runtime (doing support) for a very large computer manufacturer and had just retired a bit before that after 40 some years of service.

Last edited:
Some funny stuff in this thread, e.g. the Wapo article about COBOL being obsolete.

Although its been a while, the financial services firm (one of the biggest and most successful in the world and one whose CEO is routinely praised - for good reason) that I worked with/for used COBOL for their credit card processing. When I retired, those "obsolete" systems were able to process 1,000 credit card transactions per second, and that was with 2009 processors and disks. (We had just started to use SSD's for things like DB log files which was/is a critical performance path.)

I'd bet they are still using those core technologies.

ETA: There is an issue out there regarding "obsolete" skills. Within a few years ago I had someone ask me (as a professor) about students with COBOL skills and also FORTRAN skills. (Fortran in the case of NASA if I remember correctly). It was kinda funny as a friend worked on a Fortran compiler and runtime (doing support) for a very large computer manufacturer and had just retired a bit before that after 40 some years of service.

I took 3 courses in Fortran in college in 1973! Great stuff for us engineers at the time.

IRS and others have a ton of old code. There's underappreciated value in old systems that have been debugged via decades of use. Today's model of "release it, we'll patch it tomorrow" still doesn't work in mission-critical applications. I knew several tech retirees who were lured back into action by y2k. I'd love to have someone throw a bunch of $ my way to update something old.

Same here but it was in 1977-78. Also had some Pascal.

Pascal, he he.

Yes, I learned Pascal also. Fortran, Dec System 10 assembler (Tops-10), PDP-11 assembler, SNOBOL, LISP, ALGOL, COBOL. Various things in graduate school like Z80 assembler! None of which I used when I went "real world". Real world learned IBM languages (PL/S, PL/DS, PL/1, SQL (that sort of counts)), then C, C++, Java, C#, Python. Some others that I've forgotten about, ha ha. Also things like JavaScript, Nodejs.

These days I mostly teach Java, C#.

I took 3 courses in Fortran in college in 1973! Great stuff for us engineers at the time.
I was liberal arts but found computers fascinating so I took some intro course in 1969 or 70 and studied Fortran IV with What4 and What5, or some such thing. Punching a set of cards and then waiting overnight just to get my program errors was a huge PITA. My ADHD couldn't take it so that was it for computers for me for about 15 years until we started using early desktops at work.

What does "clueless" have to do with it?

We aren't getting served, that's a problem. It might be IRS, or it might be funding, or a combination.

I can't control either (in any meaningful way), so I can't complain? So I'm derided as being "clueless"? What else can I do (I'm not so naive to actually think my vote will matter, though I do it regardless)?

At any rate, I blame Congress. They make the laws, and there is no reason for tax laws to be this complex. If they were simpler, the IRS could do their job well with 1/100th the staff. Complexity begets complexity, it's just out of hand.

Here's an example of waste: My return, and many, many like it, contains absolutely nothing that the IRS doesn't already get (1099-R, 1099-INT,DIV,B, and W-2 if you are employed). Yet, I have to enter all this, and if I forget something, I'll get a notice (maybe years later), and now a bunch of staff is involved, forms are filled out, returned, interest calculated and paid, all with delay and staff involved.

Well, if they had all the info, why don't they just file my taxes, send me the result, and I can sign, and/or add anything that I feel warranted (maybe I want to itemize deductions).

It could all be so more efficient. Faster computers and more staff shouldn't be the first response.

Heck, I got a form last year saying I didn't sign the paper-filed amended 1041 I did for my deceased FIL. Fortunately, I took pictures of the forms and the envelope right in my car in the post office parking lot, and then sealed the envelope, right there and then, so I knew I signed them. So it was an IRS mistake, I am 100% certain. But staff got involved, wasting everyone's time.

And earlier, there was a typo on my FILs and MILs EIN on their "final" 1041s. Semi-long story, it was the tax guys fault, but I ended up having to handle it as he was having personal issues he had to deal with. Taxes were paid, checks cashed, but not credited to the right account due to the EIN typo.

OK, not the IRS fault of course, but getting it straightened out was a nightmare. Don't tell me about staffing issues, if there was any efficiency in the IRS, it would have been handled with one email (here is the wrong EIN, here is the correct one, here's copies of the cashed checks). But no, dozens of threatening letters, dozens of phone calls, many dozens of hours on hold (only to be hung up on), more threatening letters even after it was supposedly resolved, it just goes on and on. They create their own backlog.

On the plus side, when I finally g through to an IRS person, they seemed well informed and willing to help. But the whole process is slow, and the reps didn't seem to be in any rush either, they took their time, not like they were pushing things to be able to get to the next phone call.

-ERD50
All that without ever getting at what I was talking about, nice thread drift. But I won’t explain and encourage your penchant for arguing for the sake of arguing, and Porky would intervene anyway…

Last edited:
I wonder if there are any AI experts in programming, especially program conversion to modern technology.

A billion is not much money anymore, especially when they blow it on new desk chairs, new laptops and a coffee lounge upgrade for the executives at the IRS. :LOL:

I understand they'll be spending a small fortune on arming their agents next. I feel safer already.:angel:

A billion is not much money anymore, especially when they blow it on new desk chairs, new laptops and a coffee lounge upgrade for the executives at the IRS. :LOL:
If we are going to look at our budget deficit ($1.8 trillion) than surely $1billion is nothing. A question is: How soon it might be until they will destroy the US$ by issuing freshly printed money, without economy adding adequate goods and services to cover the freshly printed $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom