Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Even though I use tax preparation software, I have always filed by mail --certified, return receipt requested. I will continue to do so until they won't take paper returns anymore.
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm sorry to hear that this happened, and I sure hope it doesn't happen to me this year!

That said, were I in your place I'd just print out the forms and mail them to the IRS. No big deal (at least to me).
Does'nt everyone have to eventually mail in their 1099's, W2's anyway? Or am I missing something.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Does'nt everyone have to eventually mail in their 1099's, W2's anyway? Or am I missing something.
The IRS receives those documents electronically from the institutions that produce them so there is no need or requirement for the taxpayer to mail them.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The IRS receives those documents electronically from the institutions that produce them so there is no need or requirement for the taxpayer to mail them.
Really!?! Thanks! The older I get the less I seem to know. I've been sending them in all this time.

Planning to dump my $800 accountant (things are getting more and more simple for us reporting wise) and go to TT next year. Have already done a 'test' scenario on TT to see if he comes up with the same/similar numbers tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Really!?! Thanks! The older I get the less I seem to know. I've been sending them in all this time.

Planning to dump my $800 accountant (things are getting more and more simple for us reporting wise) and go to TT next year. Have already done a 'test' scenario on TT to see if he comes up with the same/similar numbers tomorrow.
The TT test is a great way to see if you can do it yourself. Unless you have a particularly complex return, it should be just as easy (or hard).
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I filed a paper copy, but here is the latest info back from my query.
I'd be interested in hearing what you eventually learn. If it turns out that there is a revision to the software that "fixes" this, it would reaffirm my strategy to delay filing as long as possible to wait for software vendors to patch their software.

I do my TaxAide returns on Taxwise but my personal return with TT. Last year, I continued to get software updates on TT throughout the summer. By September, they seemed to have died down.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Correct. e-filing means having nothing to mail in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I'd be interested in hearing what you eventually learn. If it turns out that there is a revision to the software that "fixes" this, it would reaffirm my strategy to delay filing as long as possible to wait for software vendors to patch their software.

I do my TaxAide returns on Taxwise but my personal return with TT. Last year, I continued to get software updates on TT throughout the summer. By September, they seemed to have died down.
I'm sure it will be fixed in a future update, and yes, the updates usually go on for many months.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post

TT have announced that the problem is fixed. I've not attempted to e-file again as I sent off a paper return, but others with the same problem have confirmed it now works.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
TT have announced that the problem is fixed. I've not attempted to e-file again as I sent off a paper return, but others with the same problem have confirmed it now works.
A pity it wasn't in time to help you but still good to know. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #50

Quote:
(also posted on another thread re: TT)

Well....my accountant just sent me my finished tax filings.
I had surreptitiously also done them myself on TT.
It came out to the exact same amount.

So...this year, I'll have to pay him the $800, but next year_...he's toast!_ $800 in my pocket!

Thanks to all on this forum who encouraged me to try TT.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(also posted on another thread re: TT)

Well....my accountant just sent me my finished tax filings.
I had surreptitiously also done them myself on TT.
It came out to the exact same amount.

So...this year, I'll have to pay him the $800, but next year_...he's toast!_ $800 in my pocket!

Thanks to all on this forum who encouraged me to try TT.
He probably used something very similar to TT to enter all your information and generate your tax papers.

When I used to hire someone to do my taxes, that's what she did. I could just do that myself and not pay the fee.