Is AppleCare Plus really a good deal?

I decided to join the 21st century today and ordered the 7th generation iPad (my first!) announced at today’s Apple event. AppleCare+ was offered but I declined, especially at the price point for the hardware and my expected use of it.

The best purchase I’ve made with my mobile Apple devices has been really solid cases with screen protection.

I LOVE my Otter case! I just bought a new iPhone 8, replacing my 5s, which appears brand-new since it's always in the case. I'll be selling the old one for whatever I can get.

The 5s is still running strong after 5+ years but some of the apps are no longer supported and I'm running out of storage. Given that experience, I didn't go for the AppleCare Plus.

I decided to join the 21st century today and ordered the 7th generation iPad (my first!) announced at today’s Apple event. AppleCare+ was offered but I declined, especially at the price point for the hardware and my expected use of it.

Welcome to the modern world. :)

To update my situation, I’ve dropped my iPhone at least 6 times from 3 feet or more, twice onto hard floor. I have RA and diminished sensitivity in my fingers, so lots of dropping things. My phone needs protection, not insurance, and the case has worked so far. Just to be safe, I got a more durable case. :)

I LOVE my Otter case! I just bought a new iPhone 8, replacing my 5s, which appears brand-new since it's always in the case. I'll be selling the old one for whatever I can get.

The 5s is still running strong after 5+ years but some of the apps are no longer supported and I'm running out of storage. Given that experience, I didn't go for the AppleCare Plus.

Whoa! I could have written that. My Otterbox Defender is still defending my 5s. I may try to breathe a little life back in the 5s (new battery). I was glad to see the 8 still in Apple’s lineup and will go that way if necessary. First I have the iPad to get friendly with.

Just to be clear - AppleCare is included with Apple products you purchase, and you can lengthen the time depending on the credit card you use to make the purchase.

AppleCare+ is the extra option you can purchase at time of sale, and it doubles the warranty period plus covers 2 incidents of accidental damage for a small fee per incident. It's that latter that some folks may find attractive.

I buy iPhones on the upgrade program which requires Apple Care + - $199 for two years. On the non-damage repair part it doesn't really do much the first year, but extends the warranty for a second year (if you keep the phone).

It does cover 2 episodes of damage. For an extra $50 or so a year you can get protection against theft/loss. Last year, the phone I bought was $1250. This year's phone is $1000.

Repairing the screen for $29 instead of $229 is definitely preferable. Basically if I keep the phone for 1 year and replace the screen once I am out $129 as opposed to $229. Of course, I don't always have to replace a screen (I have replaced two in the past). But, the big ticket item is if you have other damage, particularly to the glass on the back of the phone. That costs $550 to replace! It is $99 with Apple Care +.

As for loss and theft, my son lost an iPhone X last year. Yes, I know that is fairly rare nowadays but it happened. And he just had to keep paying for it as he bought it before you had coverage for phone loss. He now has coverage for phone loss on his new phone.

I sprang for the extra $50 a year when I get my last phone. $1250 is a lot of money. I guess I could self insure but this was a situation where I just felt it made sense at least for the more expensive, newer phones. I would pay for it on an older phone.

But, it is a close call for sure.

I'm still trying to figure out how AppleCare (both regular and plus) works overseas. Mexico so far has exactly ONE Apple Store, but lots of authorized service centers. Until I can verify that AC will work here, I have little incentive to buy anything extra.

The wife recently fell and smashed her phone screen. Local shop replaced it in two hours for about $35 US.

I'm still trying to figure out how AppleCare (both regular and plus) works overseas. Mexico so far has exactly ONE Apple Store, but lots of authorized service centers. Until I can verify that AC will work here, I have little incentive to buy anything extra.

The wife recently fell and smashed her phone screen. Local shop replaced it in two hours for about $35 US.

I’m pretty sure any warranty is limited to the country of purchase.

I’m pretty sure any warranty is limited to the country of purchase.

Not at all - I’ve bought Apple phones in the US and had them repaired/replaced in Hong Kong, bought Apple watches in Hong Kong and had them repaired in London. I’ve walked into a Genius Bar (sic) in Tokyo and gotten free advice on a covered iPhone. Apple is very good about the world wide coverage

IME active apple factory coverage follows & covers the product ID number sold not its owner.

As with autos dealers, apple stores themselves sub-out a majority of their repairs so finding a local private shop saves on repairs not covered. IME.

Good luck!

Not at all - I’ve bought Apple phones in the US and had them repaired/replaced in Hong Kong, bought Apple watches in Hong Kong and had them repaired in London. I’ve walked into a Genius Bar (sic) in Tokyo and gotten free advice on a covered iPhone. Apple is very good about the world wide coverage

That's interesting. My brother who lives in Europe has had a different experience.

Back
Top Bottom