Join Early Retirement Today

Is Dow 13,000 - 15,000 on the horizon at the rate of this plunge?
Old 12-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is Dow 13,000 - 15,000 on the horizon at the rate of this plunge?

So, the Dow went from 26K-27K to 22K in a very short time. It's like Groundhog day seeing -400 to - 600 day after day.
The Plunge rate seems faster than 2008.

At the rate this is going, I don't see any good news on the horizon. Will we hit rock bottom at 13,000 - 15,000 ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe, maybe not.

njhowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If it were obvious the DOW was going to go down every day then puts would be really really expensive.

Nobody knows which way the market will go. It could be back up to 24000 Jan 3 or so.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope not.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hahaha.

They are calling for snow here, lots of snow.

I spent 38 years in Missouri, I'll let you know when it's snowing.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

It would be great if this rate continued with a clean break at the bottom. Maybe a bell will ring followed by a smooth rise to all time highs. A long slow grind down with several false bottoms or going sideways for an extended time would be much more painful.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
It would be great if this rate continued with a clean break at the bottom. Maybe a bell will ring followed by a smooth rise to all time highs. A long slow grind down with several false bottoms or going sideways for an extended time would be much more painful.

I agree .. i wish they would take it to the bottom now ..than going sideways and lower .. sideways and lower .. agonizing.

I use to be hopeful, but dont see any catalysts for a rebound ... maybe when there is a firm written agreement with China .. I suppose. Thatís March 2019
Old 12-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The market will do what the market will do. No amount of agonizing, wishing or hoping will make any difference whatsoever.

Happy Holidays!

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have the slightest idea, and I don't think anybody knows.

That said, about two hours ago I said to Frank: "Honestly I have NO idea, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that we are headed for a really bad market crash." * I was thinking a little lower than Dow 13,000-15,000, actually. I actually did say this, too! I'm not making it up.

* If that sentence is not an "anti-Wheee!!!" then I don't know what is. Doing my best for the team!

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The market will do what the market will do. No amount of agonizing, wishing or hoping will make any difference whatsoever.

Happy Holidays!
Exactly! And just like we all got through The Great Recession during 2008-2009, if there is another crash coming then we'll get through it too, together. We'll come out the other side better off and better investors from the experience.

I think ER-Forum members are at their best when the market is at its worst; holding hands, whistling a little tune, and encouraging one another to hang in there and not to sell low unless it is necessary to do so.

And Happy Holidays to you, too!

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

That said, about two hours ago I said to Frank: "Honestly I have NO idea, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that we are headed for a really bad market crash." * I was thinking a little lower than Dow 13,000-15,000, actually. I actually did say this, too! I'm not making it up.

* If that sentence is not an "anti-Wheee!!!" then I don't know what is. Doing my best for the team!

You just keep those thoughts to yourself. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:

Your new avatar says it all.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Exactly! And just like we all got through The Great Recession during 2008-2009, if there is another crash coming then we'll get through it too, together. We'll come out the other side better off and better investors from the experience.
Can I quoted you on that? Wait, I just did.

Happy Holidays
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
So, the Dow went from 26K-27K to 22K in a very short time. It's like Groundhog day seeing -400 to - 600 day after day.
The Plunge rate seems faster than 2008.

At the rate this is going, I don't see any good news on the horizon. Will we hit rock bottom at 13,000 - 15,000 ?
Well of course, no one truly knows. If this is a severe bear market (as opposed to a correction or worse, a run-of-the-mill-bear), we could see a P/E of 7, before it truly bottoms out. We're now at a P/E of 18. So that's another 60% decline, or in terms of the Dow, another decline of 13K (if I'm doing the math correctly . . . I'm on my 3rd glass) to 8K or 9K.

I try to keep in mind these types of declines only occur once or twice in a generation, so think of it as a buying opportunity. As I tell my kids, if the market only goes up on average 6%/year over the next 40 years (when they retire), the S&P will be at 24,000, vs the 2400 it is today. If one has a shorter horizon, it's best to keep more in cash to ride out the bottom and eventual recovery. And the average recovery from a bear market bottom is about 2 years.

I just wish we would hit bottom quickly!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Your new avatar says it all.
Yeah, very much the opposite of wheee!

Which we know understand is GRO-O-OWL!!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Every recent recession is worst than the previous one and I attribute these wild swings to heavy financial engineering. I wouldn't be surprised if the next recession is worst than the "great recession". I will still keep investing regardless of which way market moves.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

IMO the main issue was that the equity markets got way overextended, partly due to Fed easy money policy for a few years, and stubbornly ignored until recently that the Fed has been taking that punch bowl away.

Given that, I don’t see why it should be one of the nastier bears, or give back more than say 2-2.5 years worth of gains. I don’t think we necessarily have a recession although that is certainly possible.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #18

Markets will fall farther than we like...and think they will. That is called a bottom. We aren’t there yet.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This market action might be the grease that gets the trade talk wheels going. If so next year could be very profitable.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for trying!

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote