Software or Website to consolidate Net Worth Profile

wannabefire

Dryer sheet aficionado
I recently broke up with my Financial Advisor (yes, you can congratulate and cheer for me). Now I am looking for a platform to view my investments across multiple institutions. Also have the ability to look at Asset Allocation across the portfolio to give you a sense of your equity to fixed income split and concentration of holdings.

The Advisor had eMoney, which was kinda handy to be able to look at accounts with Brokerage, Banks, 401ks etc. Plus the ability to add other assets like home, credit card or other debt/assets. Having a retirement calculator built in would be great too!

A long time ago, I used Personal Capital (now Empower), which may be a good substitute. Are there any good free platforms? Any worth paying a small fee?

Lastly, if you are reading this and my title is not descriptive of my actual ask, please advise so I can edit.

Thanks in advance!

Empower Personal Dashboard (nee Personal Capital) is OK for that . But it regularly has connection problems with various institutions. It lost connection to my credit union last August and can't reconnect for some reason - so the cash flow function is useless for me right now. Too bad because it was quite good when it worked.

Wanna, why did you break up with your FA? What did he do that you were dissatisfied with? I’m still with my FA who also uses eMoney which I really like too. I call or text him all the time with questions about my retirement, Medicare and other financial decisions. I always get prompt calls and responses. I know many here aren’t in favor of FA and their “fees” but not all of us are negative about them.

Wanna, why did you break up with your FA? What did he do that you were dissatisfied with? I’m still with my FA who also uses eMoney which I really like too. I call or text him all the time with questions about my retirement, Medicare and other financial decisions. I always get prompt calls and responses. I know many here aren’t in favor of FA and their “fees” but not all of us are negative about them.
I figured someone might ask this question. After spending a lot of time here and Bogleheads and reading "The Simple Path to Wealth", I decided that I did not want to part with 1% of my portfolio to the FA forever.

We will likely seek out advice on an hourly basis from time to time, but I can get A LOT of hours for what I am saving moving away from AUM.

Lastly, I don't think I have anything negative to say about our FA, only that the cost does not seem justified and if you are disciplined and don't make stupid investment choices, many informed investors should be able to manage a low cost portfolio. Granted, you may need to seek advice regarding tax efficient strategies or withdrawal strategies etc.

I'll see how it goes...

Also, it just dawned on me that my username has come true ?

Congrats on losing that 1% anchor on your returns!

I just use a spreadsheet, and manually enter numbers from my accounts. I have a row for each account, and list how much is equities and how much is fixed income. I could choose to do each investment in any accounts with mixed equities and others, which might be easier now that I think about it. If you have target date funds or other funds that have mixed equity and non-equity holdings it's a bit more difficult but you could just list the funds target % of equities and be close enough. They don't report holdings on a daily basis anyway.

If you want something that will automatically do this for you I'm sure others do this too. I've gotten to where I only look at this on a monthly basis and I'm not sure I even want a program I can look at every day. I don't want to see the noise of daily swings.

I use Quicken. Not perfect, but close. I update prices for equities frequently. Muni Bonds do not.

I've used Empower as an aggregator in the past. Before you go that route, ask yourself if you are comfortable giving out credentials for your financial accounts. There are lots of threads over on bogleheads.org on this subject, if you want to do some reading.

I no longer use any aggregators. I just have a spreadsheet.

Morningstar has a free portfolio tracker, but you'd have to enter all your holdings manually.

I use Quicken. I don't think the "Portfolio X-ray" feature they have built in is 100% right, but I'm only trying to target a fuzzy range between 70-80% equities, and it's definitely close enough for that.

I personally just use a kludgy combination of Quicken and Excel.

I think there are a lot of options out there. It depends on exactly what features you want. I've seen brokerages which allow you to add outside investments. I just checked and Google finance allows you to create portfolios there.

I don't need anything fancy because I only have a few accounts and a few investments, and everything is mostly on autopilot. I check every week or two just out of curiosity and adjust AAs when I feel like it (which is less and less frequently these days). So copying a few numbers from Quicken to Excel and then checking my dashboard - takes 10 minutes tops - is good enough for me.

I use Moneydance and a spreadsheet for investment tracking. Moneydance is for account reconciliation and cash flow tracking.

I also avoid online solutions.

I use Empower as I like the snapshot of assets it provides. I do not use all of it's functionality though. I use it more like "hey we just hit that goal...." I track expenses in Quicken which I really love as I like to see how our spending is going. It's a lot different than just looking at credit card and bank statements when you can say to your significant other, "oh wow did you know we spent $x on eating out last year...?"

As for the financial planner we also made the cut. I realized the boglehead approach was really all we wanted and thus the cost wasn't justified for us. Some people love having a financial planner and that's great! Each person is different and each financial situation is different. In fact, I think financial planners are great for some people. We are all different!

Congrats on losing that 1% anchor on your returns!

I just use a spreadsheet, and manually enter numbers from my accounts. I have a row for each account, and list how much is equities and how much is fixed income. I could choose to do each investment in any accounts with mixed equities and others, which might be easier now that I think about it. If you have target date funds or other funds that have mixed equity and non-equity holdings it's a bit more difficult but you could just list the funds target % of equities and be close enough. They don't report holdings on a daily basis anyway.

If you want something that will automatically do this for you I'm sure others do this too. I've gotten to where I only look at this on a monthly basis and I'm not sure I even want a program I can look at every day. I don't want to see the noise of daily swings.
I do this too. I use a Google sheet and each account asset updates prices with a Google Finance Function. Various sums and percentages are simple formulas. I do have to update periodically to account for dividends and, of course, buy and sell activity. It works well.

I am curious about these aggregators. I use a spreadsheet, so I haven't paid much attention. What credentials do they need to access your financial accounts? Is some lesser data than full ID and password allowed for read only access to holdings? I don't like the idea of sharing all of my login info with a third party.

Built my own google sheet over the past decade. Gives me more insight then I think I could have ever got from an FA. I built a pizza tracker to make sure Actual debt paydown, and equity gains will match Expected.

Data is constantly changing. I just heard there is rumor that SS FRA will be bumped from 67, to 70. It's a factor we now have to consider, so back to updating "the sheet", lololol.

As other's mentioned I update the DIV monthly when I chime into the FIRE Annual Performance Thread. One of the highlights of my month lol. Collecting things that I otherwise never would have known to collect.

Data is constantly changing. I just heard there is rumor that SS FRA will be bumped from 67, to 70. It's a factor we now have to consider, so back to updating "the sheet", lololol.
What you mean "we." :)

I use Fidelity Full View. It is the only tool I have found that understands my CITs in my 401k at Fidelity.

I also have a spreadsheet for rebalancing.

I figured someone might ask this question. After spending a lot of time here and Bogleheads and reading "The Simple Path to Wealth", I decided that I did not want to part with 1% of my portfolio to the FA forever.

We will likely seek out advice on an hourly basis from time to time, but I can get A LOT of hours for what I am saving moving away from AUM.

A lot of folks don't think the 1% is too bad, but if they are taking out 4% from their funds for retirement, then they are paying 25% of their yearly withdrawal for the "benefit" of having a FA. :nonono:

We don't have an FA.

Looks like a number of good answers for the OP, but I'll be contrary and say first of all that I have no real interest in tracking my Net Worth, which includes my house, vehicles and so forth.

My main interest is in monitoring my Investible Assets, but I don't need to get down in the weeds for every last dollar. Two decimal places is fine for me, which comes out to $X.Y million, where tax-deferred, taxable, and Roth accounts are all included at nominal values.

I have two different custodians, TIAA and Vanguard, each of which display my total on my home page after login.
So it's child's play to add those two numbers in my head (approximately) to get my $X.Y M number...

I spent almost two years looking at every product on the market available for individuals, and was dissatisfied with all of them. Many didn't allow for custom investments to be added. Some didn't recognize unusual securities like preferred stocks or baby bonds. Some didn't provide the data I wanted or needed. Some didn't deal with bond ladders. The ones that automatically consolidated from multiple institutions made me nervous because if hackers get into the software that performs the consolidation, theoretically that could access every financial account. Yikes.

So, I slowly built my own spreadsheet over time. I created one main data entry page for every holding, with whatever information I had or wanted for that security. Then I created charts, tables, and calculations for whatever I wanted to see. It's become a pretty sophisticated but simple to understand view of my financials.

I decided to update the data manually, both for better cybersecurity, but also it allows me to become really in tune to the movement of prices. That gives me a pretty interesting perspective of how my holdings are doing versus market indexes.

For some of the data I wanted, I had to create some numerical approximations to get a "roughly right" view. For example, to create my bond ladder, I used bond ETF's, CD's, and individual bonds. I wanted to project yields to maturity for the ladder, and also see current yield and distribution yield. I wanted to see the maturity dates of the ladder. But, the calculations for that when you have bond ETF's gets very complex and is just a continuously changing approximation since bond ETF's are constantly resetting the duration. But, you can get it close enough. So, I built a roughly right ladder tool that gives me a snapshot in time whenever I go in and upate the data. It's very comforting knowing, for example, that my current ladder has a yield to maturity over 5%. I know how much "matures" each year, taking into account the duration and maturity date of my ETF's and individual bonds or CD's.

I update my data according to a schedule. Every week or few weeks, I update security prices. That gives me a solid view of equity vs fixed and other deeper category information. Every year I update equity holdings by S&P sector to give me a view of holdings vs "the market" by S&P sector. I update dividend rates, bond projected yields to maturity, and distribution yields every few months, and that gives me a rough view of yearly distributions from the porfolio.

So I only have to spend 15-25 minutes every few weeks to get a nice snapshot, then maybe an hour once or twice a year to get snapshot views of other data. I have a summary page of all sorts of data, like:

1. Holdings by major asset class (equity, fixed, cash, alternative assets).
2. Holdings by taxable status (pre and post tax) by asset class (cash, fixed-CDs, fixed-bonds, fixed-private debt, equity-common stock, equity-preferred stock, alternative-VC, PE, Other, alternative-Real Estate.
3.Net Worth.
4. Ratios - Equity/Fixed, Bond quality, years of short-term investments, domestic/foreign stock, large/mid/small cap stock %, investment grade vs high yield bond %, government vs corporate bond %, etc.
5. Further subcategories of investments, like foreign broken into emerging market vs developed, etc.
6. Investment themes - $ in investments based upon a particular theme, like healthcare or actively managed ETF's, etc.
7. Equity by market cap and growth vs blend vs value, or by sector.
8. Projected after tax income yearly.
9. Projected total returns, projected distributions.
10. Tax efficiency.
11. etc.

It's a pretty darn good tool. But it took awhile to build.

I also use Fidelity Full View. I had lots of issues with Empower and do not recommend them.

Historically, I’ve also done spreadsheets, and at one time used yahoo finance app. I would have to update these when activities occur - dividends, distributions, etc. Which is ok, but not automatic.

After consolidating all investments to fidelity, I just their tool and have things like non-liquid assets manually updating quarterly.

I sued to use Empower, but I found it buggy when trying to track T-Bills. It never could find the CUSIP, manually entry gave inconsistent results (sometimes some field were populated, sometimes they were not), and half the time it would not allow me to manually update the T-Bill market price. I'm using Google Sheets now, as I can have stock/fund ETF prices updated automatically, and the same file I produce via python for importing my Fidelity 401K/T-bill data into Quicken I can import into Sheets and have that automatically updated.

I use Quicken also, but it does not give me that same level of custom granularity that the spreadsheet does. However, I do use the Quicken portfolio x-ray function to see the percentage and degree of equity overlap of sticks within my funds and brokerage account.

Last edited:
Fidelity owns EMoney and Fidelity Full View is basically a bare bones version of E Money.

Back
Top Bottom