Is Everyone a Multi-Millionaire?

Nash, I fully agree with you on the "take your time" and enjoy dinner. The menu doesn't even get looked at until the bottle of wine (cheap $25 Riesling) has been drank. I laughed at server comment because I have thought the same. Like you, I try to relieve their angst of keeping the table longer by tipping over the amount. Maybe I should tell them before hand so they can relax, and not worry! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gotta have the wine

Attachments

• gBvuagS.jpg
    gBvuagS.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 12
Perhaps your targeting is off? Your reply is incoherent with mine, because I agree with you: there's no need to spend more on food to lose weight. Spend more on food if it's what you wish to eat, not because of some label that tells you its more healthful.
Yes, I apologize. I conflated something that I thought you said with another post by another poster.

Ha

I like pasta too much to give up carbs. Will just have to work it off more.

Often in a given area, the only healthy restaurants, which have their own organic gardens, are often high-end places, where you could spend hundreds for a meal.

Heard though that there is a chain in Southern Cal and San Diego called Burger Lounge with grass-fed beef.

Of course, I recall visiting Buenos Aires several years ago, when the Peso wasn't as devalued as it is now, and you could get steak entrees for under $10, supposedly all grass-fed beef.

One of my favorite meals any time of day!

That is when I accepted the fact I am old, Split, when I started to like eating shredded wheat.

That is when I accepted the fact I am old, Split, when I started to like eating shredded wheat.

I am not old until I start eating Grape-Nuts and explaining it to a little kid.

OMG, Mulligan, I grew up on shredded wheat, oat meal and yogurt breakfasts. My friends think it's funny that I pack shredded wheat for trips cause you can't get it at the hotels. I eat it cold or hot.

OMG, Mulligan, I grew up on shredded wheat, oat meal and yogurt breakfasts. My friends think it's funny that I pack shredded wheat for trips cause you can't get it at the hotels. I eat it cold or hot.

You were born to eat right, Split! Being single and not much for cooking, I could eat a family size box of Captain Crunch Berrys or Lucky Charms in 2 days. Finally kicked the habit only about 5 years ago. Not being prone to ever gain any weight at all (until the past few years) promoted my "eat anything sweet or pizza" attitude through my early 40s. Now it's time to grow up and eat better. :(

Heard though that there is a chain in Southern Cal and San Diego called Burger Lounge with grass-fed beef.

I hadn't heard of them - but looked at them online - great prices. We're in Hillcrest and Kensington often enough to hit those locations, and we're only 10 minutes from the La Jolla shop.

I'll make a point of trying it out in the next few weeks.

Ah, I used to love shredded wheat as a child, back in England ... but only soggified with hot milk! My breakfast for the past several years has been steel cut oats with blueberries -- which comports well with my wheat free regimen.

I realized quite some time ago that being a foodie didn't comply with my LBYM leanings, so I've been mostly successful eliminating that tendency. Whatever protein is on sale at Sprouts gets my vote. Finding local happy hours with inexpensive yet nutritious fare, and proper ales, has become ... let's call it a hobby. Dan Diegos FTW!

Oh, since I just turned 'multi' since retiring earlier this year, perhaps I should reassess the foodie thing! :)

I hadn't heard of them - but looked at them online - great prices. We're in Hillcrest and Kensington often enough to hit those locations, and we're only 10 minutes from the La Jolla shop.

I'll make a point of trying it out in the next few weeks.

Burger lounge does grass-fed beef! Only problem is, they also fry in peanut oil, so I can't indulge... *sigh*.

I get a dozen local farm eggs for $3.00.

A two egg cheese omelet for breakfast is <$1 depending what cheese you add (or other things).

I think we spend more on the coffee than the rest of breakfast.

A two egg cheese omelet for breakfast is <$1 depending what cheese you add (or other things).

But were the chickens that laid those eggs given a name? If you don't pay at least $1 an egg, how can you be sure you are getting top quality product?

Let's see. I just made breakfast: wholewheat French toast, local cherries, locally roasted coffee with milk.

2 slices of toast ~ 10% of loaf, say 30 cents.
1 brown free range egg, ~ 50 cents (Canadian hens have pricey tastes)
Chopped up 5 cherries, say 5% of a pannet that cost $2.50, or 12.5 cents (rounded to 13 cents)
Coffee, say 20 cents
Dash of milk, say 5 cents.
Dab of butter in frying pan, 5 cents
Garnish with confectioner's sugar 5 cents
Power for stove and coffee pot, 10 cents
Hot water for washing up, 10 cents

Total cost approximately $1.48

Having breakfast at a restaurant makes no sense unless it's a social event or you don't have time to make it!

What's wrong with peanut oil?

Must only be for fries?

Looks like they have salad. Must be using free range chicken?

Let's see. I just made breakfast: wholewheat French toast, local cherries, locally roasted coffee with milk.

Chopped up 5 cherries, say 5% of a pannet that cost $2.50, or 12.5 cents (rounded to 13 cents)
Coffee, say 20 cents

Having breakfast at a restaurant makes no sense unless it's a social event or you don't have time to make it!

There used to be a chain of health food restaurants called The Good Earth around here about 20 years ago. They were before the whole organic foods movement.

They had healthy foods for the time, like multi grained breads and so on. Loved it for breakfast but it was things like 3 or 4 egg omlettes and smoothies.

Doubtful it was that healthy, though maybe not as fattening as going to Hobees for similar breakfast fare.

Anyways, multimillionaires should be able to swing more than a couple of bucks for a hearty breakfast?

Coffee, say 20 cents

That way of thinking is in line with The Onion's comment on Starbucks adding grilled cheese sandwiches to their menu:

"I’m glad they’re sticking with their core strength of things you could easily make yourself if you just woke up 10 minutes earlier in the morning."

Starbucks Adding Grilled Cheese To Menu | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

But were the chickens that laid those eggs given a name? If you don't pay at least $1 an egg, how can you be sure you are getting top quality product?

I don't know the chickens' names, but I do know the farmer's name.

It's good to know the farmer. When she's "closed" for the winter, she leaves out a cooler with eggs in it (to keep them warm! works to about 20°). Her regulars can stop by any time, help themselves to eggs, and leave the money in the can inside the cooler.

Ah, I used to love shredded wheat as a child, back in England ... but only soggified with hot milk! My breakfast for the past several years has been steel cut oats with blueberries -- which comports well with my wheat free regimen.
I realized quite some time ago that being a foodie didn't comply with my LBYM leanings, so I've been mostly successful eliminating that tendency..
Oh, since I just turned 'multi' since retiring earlier this year, perhaps I should reassess the foodie thing! :)

We pour hot water, that we boiled for tea, over the shredded wheat, let it soak in, then drain off the excess water and add a little cold milk in the bowl. Add the fruit and nuts. Love it!!!
LBYM doesn't mean you can't be a foodie. My friend eats salads, rice and chicken and other economical foods and splurges on more expensive food he likes once or twice a month.

What's wrong with peanut oil?

Maybe they have a peanut allergy

I don't know the chickens' names, but I do know the farmer's name.

Grew up on a farm and never named anything we would eat. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
We went out for Thai food today. We had the lunch special with a half off coupon - salad, soup, brown rice with veggies and chicken in a basil sauce. I am not a nutrition expert but it looked pretty healthy.

No cloth table cloths but it had a shrine, a fountain, oil paintings, the table tops were granite with fabric place mats and we looked out over a golf course, so maybe I can get partial credit for not going too plebeian. :) The bill came to twelve dollars plus tip with great food and a nice lunch date out with my hubby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom